Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Professor Richard Holmes

steve

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
A great narrator, sympathetic to the foot soldier rather than the general, Professor Richard Holmes was a superb military historian, as demonstrated in his fine series called War Walks which is most definitely worth watching ( I'm watching it again for the umpteenth time).

He also did a great series on The Duke of Wellington.

Steve

Yes, he's great, so easy to watch and fully immerses himself in the terrain and topic. Sadly no longer with us.

Have some more, this time WW2
A brilliant and detailed explanation of the task at hand…type in to you tube.:
BBC BATTLEFIELDS of WWII 4 Arnhem

Last edited:
I loved that guy. Sadly missed. I think he reached the highest rank in the Territorials and did a series on El Alamein too. Also on You-Tube

I loved that guy. Sadly missed. I think he reached the highest rank in the Territorials and did a series on El Alamein too. Also on You-Tube
Yup.

I've seen every documentary he has done, and to my mind apart from Laurence narrating The World at War, this man is the best.

Even those without an interest in military history could not fail to be impressed by his natural manner, his encyclopedic knowledge of the subject matter, and the ease with which he could explain it all.

As I've posted before, I am lucky enough to have some of his books, one of which is signed by the man himself - I only came across this by accident in a charity shop.

View my photos at: https://steve1962.smugmug.com/Richard-Holmes

Back