Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Question regarding FRAPS

Historically, I have been using FRAPS to capture screenshots from my games to insert pictures into my comments here at FGM. Until recently. For some reason, FRAPS will no longer capture screenshots from my CM2 games. Interestingly enough, FRAPS still captures screenshots from CS and from WoTs. So the application works in general. It just seems to have stopped playing will with CM2. Can anyone offer any solutions or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Nort , eventually you don't have the actual/latest version of FRAPS installed? :unsure:
For comparison purpose: My FRAPS version is 3.5.99 / Build 15628 . Recently I bought a new pc and (re-)installed FRAPS on it with a fresh/new download from the Beepa homepage.

Last edited by a moderator:
My (paid version) Fraps stopped working for video capture ages ago (Windows 10??).
I have still been using it for screenshots in CM though, including recently for the Brigade Battles campaign I'm running.

I have to start Fraps before I start the game.
I have a folder set as a destination for the screenshot file.
I have a shortcut key set to take the shot (PrtScn).

Afterwards I go to the folder and open the file in a graphics program.

May not be relevant to your problem, but I've had problems if I don't open Fraps before CM and close it after exiting CM (has caused crashes).

If any of you have Nvidia graphics cards, you will be able to use Shadowplay, which is similar to FRAPS but far superior IMO. It saves video files as .mp4s instead of raw .avis thus removing the need for conversion and outputting a far smaller file size. It can also screenshot as well, just set up whatever hotkeys you want for it.

For example, screenshot for me is alt+F1, to start & stop recording video is alt+F9.

If any of you have Nvidia graphics cards, you will be able to use Shadowplay,

I switched to this a while back. My only complaint is that sometimes I have to restart after a driver update to get the screen capture ability back. Not every time but is sure is annoying when you have something you want to capture and you cannot.

Overall I'm happy with it.

@Nort : My (paid version) FRAPS also doesn't film anymore resp. I need to open the avi.files with another video player, like @Concord said. But I don't have looked for one yet.
Too bad that I couldn't help you.

Thank you @Stafford for the tip with Shadowplay.

And @A Canadian Cat : Just by the way at this occasion as I always wanted to reply to you ;) -> when FRAPS is active (just only started and running, but in STAND BY mode)
it tells me that the game is shown/displayed with 59 - 60 FPS (frames per second). But as soon as I start the recording/filming it tells me that I only have 30 FPS. :rolleyes:

And @A Canadian Cat : Just by the way at this occasion as I always wanted to reply to you ;) -> when FRAPS is active (just only started and running, but in STAND BY mode)
it tells me that the game is shown/displayed with 59 - 60 FPS (frames per second). But as soon as I start the recording/filming it tells me that I only have 30 FPS. :rolleyes:

I never experienced that but I also don't get 50-60FPS either:) Is it possible that the capture is 30fps and they force the game to that frame rate for the movie? I have no idea.

https://obsproject.com/

Best open source solution...

I downloaded this. Thanks for the tip @HOA_KSOP. Going to try it out.
Every time I started researching a solution in the past (paid and unpaid) I've gotten bogged down in too much choice and the details to compare.
My main goal was something dead easy. I've been using Moviemaker to edit, because it is so simple to use.

I've used the Nvidia recording function, but have come across a few problems.
When the action heats up in game (with lots of explosion effects and stuff) the video recording goes a bit blurry.
Not sure if that is a limitation of Shadowplay, my computer system, or settings I've missed.

I never experienced that but I also don't get 50-60FPS either:) Is it possible that the capture is 30fps and they force the game to that frame rate for the movie? I have no idea.

That sounds like a really good explanation to me. :) (y)

Back