FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
5-8 games.
Email
ian.leslie@lesliesoftware.com
During round 3 of Quick and the Dead 6 we had a brief discussion about tatics. I tought it would be good to create a thread to share our thoughts on Meeting Engagement tactics.

Here is the starting point we had from the last round (http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/the-quick-the-dead-6-round-3.28176/page-2#post-260102):
(1) Bum rush the VL.
(2) Gain overwatch with unbuttoned armor as quickly as possible.
(3) Pray to the spotting gods.
Not entirly off the mark. I would modify #1 slightly and for #3 you don't have to pray you can help yourself in many ways.
I'll break the basics down just a little more:

The Goal
Other than winning - duh - the goal is to be the first to occupy the objective thus allowing you to be on the defensive and forcing your opponent to attack. Since in a Meeting Engagement the forces are nominally equal and specifically in the Quick and the Dead they are actually identical.

Unlike and attack defence scenario you will not be setting up a defence in depth so I recommend not trying to go past the objective just take a commanding chunk of it and make sure you have LOF into the rest and the approaches.

The Need for Speed
@Meat Grinder's point #1 is the main way to achieve the goal. Pick your fastest units or purchase fast units specifically for this. Meeting Engagements are the least common and likely totally unrealistic event - as depicted in the game. What I mean by that is you know the field is empty, you know where the other guy's assets and you know you are facing a roughly equal force. That means you can drive the MG Jeeps down the road a break neck speed without any fear of encountering the enemy. That would never be the case in real life.

But who cares this is a game so Just Do It (tm) :)

What you want to do is pay attention to traffic control. Fastest units out first MG Jeeps, armoured cars etc. Have them rush the objective and cover the enemy's approach to the objective. Follow them up with some infantry in say half tracks and get them to unload into defensive positions under the cover of those first arrivals. Follow that up with the slower tanks but get them into a position to support your defence of the objective as fast as possible.

Mess with the Enemy's Plans
This is @Meat Grinder 's point #2. You know the enemy is trying to speed for the objective so use that against them. Look at the terrain. What you want to find is a place close to your setup zone that has keyhole LOF to the approaches the enemy would take to get to the objective fastest. Put as much fire power as you can covering those approaches.

"What if they don't go that way" you ask? A fine question but totally missing the point. If they go that way you will mess up their bum rush for the objectives. If they divert to a longer way then you still win because your guys will get there first. See The Goal

Don't forget they might be doing this too. Make sure you study the terrain from their side too and look for where their "Mess with you" forces will be and try to get some of that overwatch power to be able to interdict that too.

Position your forces to spot the other guy first
None of this pray to the spotting gods BS: "thoughts and prayers don't do anything" or "the lord helps those who help themselves" - which ever saying works for you. This is where I diverge from what @Meat Grinder said above. Mind you I am pretty sure he doesn't count on luck either. Perhaps he didn't want to share his true trade craft. I don't know. But I will.

Soldiers on the ground hear stuff. Tank commanders and guys sitting on an engine do not. If you don't have solders dismount a tank or armoured car crew. Even in cover or slightly behind the hill you can go from a blank battle field to a shmorgishborg of sound contacts just by getting some guys away from those diesel engines. So in the Q&D tournaments I would dismount one or two tank crews and I could then tell what the enemy was doing. Letting the C2 net help you out and now my tank commanders are looking for the tank they know is near that building instead of just poking their heads over the hill with no idea what is on the other side.

Guess who spots whom first more frequently?

Please note clearly those tank crews need to be remounted at some point - do that once you see the battle develop and you have needs for the additional firepower.

The other usual tips are important too. Unbutton your vehicles, use the terrain to position your troops in overwatch without exposing their flanks (side of hill not the top of the hill) and put small teams in high up cover (top floors and forested hill tops) to get a good look around.

This stuff does matter. Any time you find our self saying "boy I hope my guys are lucky and spot the enemy first" shake it off (tm) and think what can I do to help my men win that race.

The terrain is king
All of what just said goes into the bin if the terrain dictates. If the objectives are undefendable (farm with two buildings in the middle of a valley, or the flat cross roads in the centre of the map) do not try to occupy them. Instead look for the defensible locations that have LOF to the objective. If there is an overwhelming overwatch location that would let you dominate the battlefield - go take that instead.

poesel71

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
markus@johalla.de
These are all good and valid points. I doubt you will get much dissent on that.

It would be interesting to discuss how to design scenarios (or set up QBs) so that there is more than one winning strategy.

jobu88

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
Email
christopher.earls88@gmail.com
This thread is a great explanation of why I don't like playing ME games. Bum rush the flag and then play defense. I would much rather play attack-defend or a scenario.

Badger73

FGM SITE OVERSEER
ADMIN
Reaction score
Turn Rate
1-2 pw
Games
None.
Email
mvangroll@msn.com
This thread is a great explanation of why I don't like playing ME games. Bum rush the flag and then play defense. I would much rather play attack-defend or a scenario.
That's a fair assessment. The Q&D type tourneys are not for everyone but they are great fun for those who can get into them. :shootero:

Meat Grinder

FGM Colonel
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
1-2 pw
Games
2-4 games.
The Q&D tourneys are, IMO, fun because they are fast, furious, and full of action. Not all meeting engagements are like that, though many people share @jobu88 's preference of attack/defend games. I, myself, generally prefer attack/defend if I am trying to play a "serious" Combat Mission game. That doesn't take away from the fact that these fast little skirmishes are quite fun!

computer games serious.jpg

poesel71

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
markus@johalla.de
I would to read a thread like that ;)
Hmm, I started it so I guess I have to bite. Ok heres my 2c:

Attacks
IME attacks on small maps should be no longer than 30 minutes. Anything longer favours the attacker, anything shorter the defender. Medium maps would be 45 minutes. That is for most infantry types of battle. Armoured battles should be shorter.

MEs
Odd number of objectives is a must.
None of the objectives should 'belong' to either player (I mean objectives that you can only get at if you annihilate the other player).
Any objective must at least be worth half of the most valuable objective +1 (no draw possible)

Generally
Objectives should be no bigger than a house or a small farm. Big objectives can easily contested with bum rushes.
There should be many objectives so that there is more than one plan possible.
If you can buy the troops yourself assign percentages on force composition (armour/infantry/artillery).
If you can buy the troops limit the experience level especially for armour. Inexperienced troops are much more fun and realistic.

A Canadian Cat

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
5-8 games.
Email
ian.leslie@lesliesoftware.com
Great points. I like it.

If you can buy the troops yourself assign percentages on force composition (armour/infantry/artillery).
If you can buy the troops limit the experience level especially for armour. Inexperienced troops are much more fun and realistic.
However the above is not really something a designer has control over. :)

poesel71

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
markus@johalla.de
However the above is not really something a designer has control over. :)
Yes, true. But I thought more about tournament rules since we were in the context of Q&D. Most (if not all) scenarios that come with the game are made to be played vs the AI and that is a different beast to tackle. H2H has different requirements.