Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Radio Commander

Paleolithic Monk

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I picked up Radio Commander on Steam today. (15 bucks till the 17 OCT) It's something completely different for war gaming! You play as a Battalion level commander (who sounds just like Nicolas Cage in Con Air) during the Vietnam war directing troops and air lift in the field. You have an interactive map board with unit tokens that don't update during the mission, you have to move them based on verbal reports from your men. All interaction is through an old PRC-77 radio. You keep your uniform and boots nice and clean while ordering platoons to move and fight through the bush. You plot possible or known enemy units and reports, mark the map and constantly request status reports to keep your map board current.
I'm enjoying it and recommend it. Just don't leave Alpha Platoon on that hilltop with out support and Medevac like I did! Now I have an entire platoons worth of letters to write home.

Monk

Be curious on your thoughts again after a few hours, specifically longevity/replayability... ;D cheers!

It is defiantly a single player experience. You're the commander and ALL the responsibility is yours, for better or worse. I'm working on the second mission as well. Still think it's worth picking up, especially since it's on sale.

I've heard that the voice acting/script is cringeworthy and not very true to correct radio traffic. True? Would be a shame for an interesting take on wargames.

The radio traffic is more like Tropic Thunder than Platoon. I think the developers were looking to reach a more Hollywood Vietnam audience. But under the hood it is still something different.

The radio traffic is more like Tropic Thunder than Platoon. I think the developers were looking to reach a more Hollywood Vietnam audience. But under the hood it is still something different.
Yuck, so more in the vein of comedy than drama. Authenticity and immersion is key to me, so I might have to sit this one out :(

Back