Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Rate the 5 battles

The_MonkeyKing

FGM Private
FGM MEMBER
only played two so: 4,5

4 was exceptional, really showed the differences between the factions.
5 was a little boring, really only one tactical choice (but that one was an interesting one) for both players and that was the opening.

Not sure which is what, but the last one, battle 5 was my least liked. The second least liked was the road cutting through a forest. The rest were great. (y)

All in all, your CMSF2 and CMBS tourneys are great. The battles cant all be great, even the ones that are least liked, you still get a thumbs up for trying something different. The quick sign ups for your new CMCW tourney is testament to this!

In other words, thanks for running these, its been a blast! (y)

SlySniper

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Well, Its pretty hard to offend me as my efforts even when you do not like it.
I know I cannot make everyone happy with what I do.
But this is showing a pretty consistent view as to which battles best pleases the players.

Which generally leans to battles which have the ability to switch as to who the aggressor might be.
Battles that are strong attacker vs weak defender are generally not liked and I have to admit, hard to get right as we see in this final battle.

But then again. My very first battle in CMSF2 Tournament was also very one sided and the players loved it. But the defender had more bite and could put the hurt on the attacker and I cut the time short so that the defender would not get cleared off the map.
So these are things for me to try and remember as I go about creating new situations.

Anyone want to post concepts for situations that you would like me to try and create a small scenario for in the next tournament. go for it, it does not mean I will do it. But I could use some thoughts to get me thinking as to possible situations to try.

Hilts

FGM New Member
FGM MEMBER
1-3-4-2-5
Why not try and design your scenarios based on QB maps? It would save you a lot of time designing a map and I think one of the reasons why battle no 1 was so popular was because it was on a very good map. Oh, and thanks for organising this, good job , man.

Hilts

FGM New Member
FGM MEMBER
Just a few ideas off the top of my head. Searching for a downed pilot, breaking into a prison and rescuing an officer. Taking out a radar installation (something along the lines of the scenario "Direction Found") Maybe use the same map as it's very good but just alter the forces. Capturing a bank behind enemy lines a la "Kelly's Heroes"

SlySniper

FGM MEMBER
Rescue a prisoner is a good one, I like it and already know how I can set that up.

A breakthrough into the enemy rear can be done also. (for said "Bank") It will be the Russians, Gang backed wanting some nice German assets. This might be a challenge to get the forces right. But again, I think I can do a set up to get that to work well.

Agree, Direction Found turned out to be a excellent little scenario and he did it right from the start, hardly needed any changes during Beta

SlySniper

FGM MEMBER
Of course, one battle will be tank centered since this is CW era

and another with maybe a lot of lighter armor assets since we have new toys to play with

But the situation for the battles still need a concept.

Sgt Joch

FGM Lance Corporal
FGM MEMBER
I had some I liked better than others, but I liked them all in the sense they they put you in an unusual tactical situation where you have to come up with an innovative solution and often think out of the box. Even the ones where I got creamed were interesting.

I have been playing CM for about 20 years, but I think we all get into a rut where you tend to play the same kind of scenarios. This tournament forces you out of your comfort zone. For example in mission 4, I wound up using more intentional "smoke" than I have in every other CM scenario I ever played.

I would rather let Slysniper come up with whatever original idea he has in mind, you have a knack for it.

SlySniper

FGM MEMBER
I have been playing CM for about 20 years, but I think we all get into a rut where you tend to play the same kind of scenarios. This tournament forces you out of your comfort zone.

I would rather let Slysniper come up with whatever original idea he has in mind, you have a knack for it.

well, I do not know about that as to having a Knack for it.

But ever since CM came out I have messed with setting up battles and situations in the game and trying to see how things played out. Just for my own enjoyment mainly.

I never did it with any other system much. Squad leader series would be the perfect example. I had at least 15 ASL mods and I don't recall doing much extra other than play the set ups given. maybe a few things. But just a few.

Where as I think I have set up almost every small battle I have read about in CM at one point or another. Maybe for the fact that I can run through different options as to decisions very quickly.

When I served in the service and did my training.
The things I learned was
"You had to work with what you had, make the best use of what is available"
" tactical principles work but must be adapted to the situation and Terrain, so being able to see the situation in your mind or if possible having the time to set it up on a sand table and lay out the plan was important"
"learning to adapt as quickly as possible to a new version of the plan as the situation changes during the fight"
"How little you know in the real situation compared to any training preplanned stuff. "

Even with the high tech that is out there now there still seems to be a Fog of war factor at times that people can only process so much and communications can still be confusing. But from what I have read and understand, it would be interesting to be young again and to be back in the service, to see how much better it is as to understanding what the situation is when you are in a fight.
There is tools now to help situational awareness. But for the poor average grunt. Its still likely a confusing nightmare and a place of confusion. For special ops units, they have a huge advantage as to having the tools for limiting that and keeping on top of the situation.

So back to the concept of why I do it this way.
Running this format provide some of what I learned while in the service.

using what assets you have to your best ability.
adapt tactics to the situation.
deal with unknown and unexpected situations
(as gamers, you have way too much knowledge as to the situation - provide events that you have little situational understanding about)

So in my own way, yes, I am trying to give you a little of the feel of what I think it is all about.

Raging Al

FGM Lance Corporal
FGM MEMBER
Over the two tournaments I would say that this Round 5 was definitely the weakest, but there have been some absolute crackers along the way - I’ve even enjoyed those where I have lost badly!

I really like the unusual scenarios such as this Round Two (break out after being encircled), and Round Three from the previous tournament (modern day Rat Patrol). But then again I’ve enjoyed the brutal full on armour ME’s of this Round One and previous tournament Round Four.

Tbh you’ve pretty much nailed it, Sly, so I would say keep up the great work.

Suggestions for next tournament: how about an ambush scenario? US stay behinds surprise follow up second echelon Russian force and has to bug out after causing as much damage as possible.

How about destroying a bridge behind enemy lines?

I agree with Hilts about Direction Found - great little scenario and lovely map. Something on those lines would be good.

Anyway, I’ll be signing up for the next tournament whatever happens :)

So back to the concept of why I do it this way.
Running this format provide some of what I learned while in the service.
Which I really appreciate. Thank you.

Regarding the last scenario. I can appreciate that the Russian players had it though but from the US perspective it was a challenge. Finding those guns and neutralizing them without loosing too many men was not easy. I for one would be more than willing to play be on the loosing side of a totally lopsided battle so the other player can experience something good. Especially in this context - a multi battle tournament where a lopsided battle is just one in a series that will not all be like that.

sspoom

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
I have enjoyed every battle in the field warriors tournaments. Quick battles have lost their appeal for me lately. These scenarios, even the unbalanced ones are a great thing, forcing the players to make crucial decisions that may pay off greatly or cost you your force if incorrect.