Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Re crewing anti tank guns?

StickerEater

FGM Private
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Does anyone know if its possible to re crew an abandoned anti tank gun? It seems kinda stupid if you can't order your perfectly healthy troops to man a completely working anti tank gun.

Not possible sadly. Would be cool to leave and "re-enter" a gun. For example to get into cover before an artillery strike but man the gun again if it is still intact. Another point that would be great would be recrewing tanks that don´t directly belong to a tankcrew. For example the crew of one Panther-platoon died but their tank somehow survived, while another tankcrew of that platoon lost their entire tank but the crew is complete.

I understand that it is not possible or not reasonable that a Tigercrew would get into a Panther, because they lack the training. But switching crews from the same model should be totally possible, at least if they belong to the same formation/company/platoon.

Not possible sadly. Would be cool to leave and "re-enter" a gun. For example to get into cover before an artillery strike but man the gun again if it is still intact.
That would be a nice feature. The current in game abandon gun mechanism simulates the crew has given up and will withdraw and they therefore disable the gun before they leave so it cannot be used by the enemy.

Another point that would be great would be recrewing tanks that don´t directly belong to a tankcrew. For example the crew of one Panther-platoon died but their tank somehow survived, while another tankcrew of that platoon lost their entire tank but the crew is complete.
This is just not done IRL. There are of course exceptions and HQ units did sometimes swap Tank Commanders when they became unhorsed but re-crewing abandoned tanks is just not a regular thing. Heck it was normal for tanks to withdraw after suffering even minor damage not to mention crew casualties nearly always ended a tank's time on the battle field and yet we get to battle it out as sub systems are failing left and right and crew are dying. In real life it was much more common to withdraw to the rear to examine damage and return to the fight later - as in after the CM battle is over.

It is too bad that this wasn't implemented at the same time as vehicle re-crew.

Now it is probably a too small item to warrant touching the code again.

This is just not done IRL. There are of course exceptions and HQ units did sometimes swap Tank Commanders when they became unhorsed but re-crewing abandoned tanks is just not a regular thing. Heck it was normal for tanks to withdraw after suffering even minor damage not to mention crew casualties nearly always ended a tank's time on the battle field and yet we get to battle it out as sub systems are failing left and right and crew are dying. In real life it was much more common to withdraw to the rear to examine damage and return to the fight later - as in after the CM battle is over.
Yeah I thought as much.

Surely complete crew swaps would be more of a anecdote regarding its rarity (and I know bfc don't give to much about anecdotes) but I kind of like the idea on a gameplay perspective.

I would see it as a personal optional mission objective: "Can I recrew the tank again before the enemy can finally destroy it? And how I'm gonna accomplish that?"

More often than not the tanks are even (heavily) damaged if the crew really decided to bail (or get killed in it), so most of the time it would be just recovery missions I guess.

On another note I witnessed that there is some kind of crew limitation in the code. So I saw (multiple times now) that even a crewmember that belonged to a certain tank might not enter it again. Even worse: If you have just one crewmember left and try to enter the abandoned tank he will enter but a second later he will leave again but this time the tank is labeled "destroyed". This is maybe due to the code or that the one last guy sabotaged the tank so that it will not fall into enemies hand. But just let me drive my tanks into safety God damn it! :D

Another thing I witnessed is that I could replace 2 bow machine gunners in 2 of my churchills in Cmbn.
And they were just standard foot soldiers.
So how often would that happen in real life? :D

Though I don't know if that was intentionally put into the game(s).

So I saw (multiple times now) that even a crewmember that belonged to a certain tank might not enter it again. Even worse: If you have just one crewmember left and try to enter the abandoned tank he will enter but a second later he will leave again but this time the tank is labeled "destroyed". This is maybe due to the code or that the one last guy sabotaged the tank so that it will not fall into enemies hand. But just let me drive my tanks into safety God damn it! :D

Another thing I witnessed is that I could replace 2 bow machine gunners in 2 of my churchills in Cmbn.
And they were just standard foot soldiers.
So how often would that happen in real life? :D

Though I don't know if that was intentionally put into the game(s).
Those are both bugs for sure.

I would see it as a personal optional mission objective: "Can I recrew the tank again before the enemy can finally destroy it? And how I'm gonna accomplish that?"
@SlySniper created a mission like that for his Cold War Field Warrior tournament. Blue had an M1 that was abandoned and their goal, in part, was to re-crew it. Fun scenario.

Back