Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Reactive armor ????

jobu88

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Playing a game of CMBS. Two of my M1s fired sabot rounds pretty point blank at a T-80, one of them got off two rounds, and all three results were "Hit- Reactive armor" and no damage, while the T-80 calmly turned and shot both my tanks in the face!!! What the @^%, isn't reactive armor supposed to defeat only HEAT rounds? I double-checked that all three of my tanks' rounds were APFSDS rounds, not HEAT rounds.

Oh no reactive armour is designed to defend against sabot rounds. The idea is to use an explosive in the armour to disrupt the projectile - either damaging it or altering its path so it cannot penetrate the underlying armour.

Talks briefly about a type of ERA

Chapter 5 talks about how moving plate armour (which ERA is the most common) works against sabot rounds.

Well then, I misunderstood a really important core concept........

Although usually the M1A2 APFSDS in CMBS will blast right through the ERA, especially the Kontakt-5 on T-72B3 and T-90A. The ERA on T-90AM is better but not proof against APFSDS, so consider the enemy tanks lucky.

Back