Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Reduced Battalion Tactical Group in a Defensive Operation, an AAR/DAR

Aurelius

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to a hybrid of an AAR/DAR of an ongoing battle between myself and Nektoman. After a year and a half, we decided to return to CM BS. You can find a mini-AAR of our previous engagement here.

The battle is taking place on CMBS Demo Map. These are the conditions>
FmbylhY.jpg

I command a dismounted BTR battalion, minus one rifle company (hence the reduced in the tittle). This means two full rifle companies, battalion ATGMs and a 120mm mortar battery. One platoon of each company is mechanized - 3 BMP 3s. To this force, I added a platoon of T90As.

Now, for the general overview of the situation.
hNE37HS.jpg

As you can see, most of my forces (except 3rd platoon, 2nd Company) are on the southern part of the map, defending the two major objectives. The area is split into two defensive zones - left and right. Left is held by 2nd Company, right by 1st Company.

General disposition of the 2nd Company.
Cad8dkK.jpg

3rd platoon, 2nd Company, being the only force across the dry riverbed, has the task of slowing down any mechanized force using the paved road leading into Budarky and towards the two bridges.
8aNfkEU.jpg

2nd platoon, 2nd Company has the task of stopping any force making it across the ford south of Budarky.
hILAT0G.jpg

1st platoon, 2nd Company is held in reserve.
xVnhsSh.jpg

Now, for the general disposition of the 1st Company.
C2gYp1z.jpg

3rd platoon, 1st Company is tasked with stopping anyone moving across the bridge between Budarky and Zemlyanky.
2opqhpu.jpg

2nd platoon, 1st Company is tasked with stopping anyone moving across the bridge East of Zemlyanky.
a2qrOjO.jpg

1st platoon, 1st Company is in reserve. You can see the tanks as well.
1F4thzf.jpg

Various battalion and company ATGM positions. They are dispersed and dug-in in the open to avoid artillery (obvious terrain features are a magnet for artillery) and to make them vulnerable only when they are spotted (otherwise, there is the no aiming point indicator).
bzSDyy5.jpg

vwPvuIx.jpg

PARNmXo.jpg

As far as the prediction of the enemy maneuver - I expect the Main Direction of the Attack to be East of Zemlyanky, towards Objective 5 and the bridge, with the Auxiliary Direction towards Zemlyanky itself. This approach is obscured from my observation and protected from my fires, thus I expect that the majority of the forces will move through that area. Auxiliary Direction would thus be a supporting attack, with the idea of expanding the bridgehead across the dry riverbed and engaging my units on a wider front, thus diluting my combat power. From Point 215.8 he can guide in and correct the artillery fires.
ObyVa1d.jpg

rkQsHMB.jpg

L3kUw7O.jpg

qSPYpLf.jpg

(Note, these images were taken from the perspective of the opponent)

The battle kicks off, a platoon of 152 mm howitzers starts working on the area of the eastern-most bridge, near the zone of responsibility of the 2nd platoon, 1st Company. Artillery preparation of an attack!

Right of the bat I spot an interesting composition.
AQD71Kn.jpg

Looks like the command element of a BMP BTG. From this I assess the following - tanks are T-64 BV, pose no threat to my armor; BMPs are in play, medium threat level for my forces.

Off all the spotted elements, I conclude that this one is the biggest threat.
GxoYxSI.jpg

You may wonder why. The answer is simple - they carry a big radio station, yet they are not an HQ unit. Therefore, some kind of artillery observation unit.

Since it was in the deployment zone of my opponent, I waited couple of turns. After 2 turns have passed, the order to destroy the UAZ and it's occupants was issued.
UVyi0Vw.jpg

sgQDaX3.jpg

Metis-M crew reports destruction of the target.
qT6mwhn.jpg

zjnJ2bW.jpg

And it really looks like that was the FO, since the artillery ended abruptly and there was a period of silence before it started falling again.

Last edited:
Couple of turns pass with minimal activity - the 152s stopped falling on the area of the bridge, my mortars started working on Point 215.8 (1 tube, harass, max duration, personnel).

My forces spot his infantry moving towards the eastern bridge (the one that was prepped with artillery). A squad split into fire teams.
fOPL8WK.jpg

u9acFA3.jpg

AGS team was ordered to fire on them. They fulfill the order, thus forcing the opponent to move deeper through the woods, costing him more time.
h02C8UM.jpg

OW1sPks.jpg

No visuals on any casualties.

After that, the AGS team relocates to a new firing position.
esUSoqN.jpg

Zt3fdzO.jpg

qIeAvdj.jpg

Since the AGS action, a PKM team was ordered to move into the forested belt next to the river, to serve as a listening post.
hphQ1CD.jpg

YtU09eD.jpg

On turn 11, my forces start spotting the opposing force. First, an AGS team West of Point 215.8.
SZ7uTIS.jpg

Then a SKIF team, again, West of Point 215.8.
n9FGC1i.jpg

Then, troops are spotted to the North of Budarky.
AQNlbpx.jpg

Turn 11 end state.
lolXEOh.jpg

I determine that the SKIF team is the highest priority for destruction. For that, a sort of a tank carousel is made. Semi-closed (at least by CM standards) positions are selected, and the tanks start working on the team. An example. Added in edit: a video example of the tactic.

Tank enters the position.
4vN32hU.jpg

It fires.
QXs7CZ2.jpg

It retreats into cover. Note the time that passed - 5 seconds.
uMc0JbC.jpg

Results after one turn of fire.
6U6rfyx.jpg

Results after two turns of fire.
pR4suhu.jpg

The position is considered destroyed. As a precaution, a 120mm precision, air bursting mortar strike was ordered.

Turn 12 end state.
cPrZy1A.jpg

Turn 13 end state - a platoon sized element is confirmed North of Budarky.
2KqYV7V.jpg

In order to put an end to that, a BMP 3 carousel was organized. Same principles as for the tanks. Takes a bit longer - 10 seconds.
NLvgmDd.jpg

G4zFrS9.jpg

iVsi36H.jpg

The effect on targeted area.
VpG3v5U.jpg

Turn 14 end state.
IroWfmJ.jpg

BMP carousel continues.
PMu7Rjo.jpg

Turn 15 end state.
sEHqEgb.jpg

The opposing forces attempt to create a base of fire in the center was thwarted. The attempt to infiltrate Budarky from North was stopped, as well.

Last edited:
Back