Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Republic P-47 Thunderbolt (Fighter-bomber)

Louis

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
The P-47 Thunderbolt fighter was the largest and most powerful single engine fighter of the war. Production topped any other Allied fighter with 15,683 P-47’s produced.

Due to the shape of the fuselage, the Thunderbolt was known as the "Jug" by its pilots and ground crews.
Two distinctive versions were produced:
The earlier "Razorback" design and later versions with a “bubble top” canopy.

sZZ5BU7.jpg

P-47D-25-RE Specifications:
Dimensions: Wing Span: 40’ 9 5/16”
Length: 35’ 10”
Height: 14’ 9 1/8”
Wing Area: 300 sq. feet
Weights: Empty: 10,000 lbs
Gross: 14,000 lbs
Max: 19,400 lbs
Cruise speed: 260mph
Max level flight speed: 433 mph at 30,000’
375 mph at 10.000'
Landing speed: 106 mph
Climb: 6.2 min to 15,000’
14 min to 30,000’
Service Ceiling: 42,000’
Maximum Range: 950 miles w/o external tanks.
1800 miles with max fuel and external tanks.

Speed, range, and performance all vary dependent
on external stores and weight.

368thfightergroup.com & others sites

Last edited:
Retired Air National Guard Chief Warrant Officer 2 Robert Hertel, laughs while under the wing of a P-47 Thunderbolt during the Heritage Flight Training and Certification Course on Feb. 28, 2015, at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz. Hertel, a 92-year-old World War II veteran, was given the opportunity to visit the aircraft he used to fly.

Sitting in a wheelchair with images of airplanes on his shirt and a U.S. Army Air Corps hat on his head, 92-year-old retired Air National Guard Chief Warrant Officer 2 Robert Hertel was reunited with the P-47 Thunderbolt during the Heritage Flight Training and Certification Course here Feb. 28.

kSb2Lo3.jpg

Hertel flew the legendary Thunderbolt while stationed on Iwo Jima, Japan, during World War II and had not seen the aircraft since retiring from the military in the 1960's.

"When I found out it was going to be here I just had to bring him," said Hertel's daughter Peggy Hertel. "It's been his dream for so long to see one again."

Although he does not remember a lot of his past, there is one thing that has stayed clear in his memory.

"He has always remembered his airplanes," Peggy said. "I think he was thinking he was going to get in and fly it."

Hertel smiled and laughed as he was wheeled around the aircraft, stopping to reach out with his war-fought hands to touch his old friend.

from': af.mil

Last edited:
Awhile back I went to an airshow at Republic Airport where among other planes there was a P47 and an old WWII pilot answering questions.
I asked about the kick of the eight 50 caliber machine guns and he said they would disconnect one mg on each wing because when they fired all eight it slowed the plane down way too much.
P47's were manufactured here on Long Island. The factory was next to Republic Airport. The factory is long closed and only the ruins remain.

Back