Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Rico's Great Big Campaign & Tourney Update

Been rethinking my tourneys/campaigns over the last week or so -- and decided it's time for a reset.

My interest has been taken up by the possibilities offered by designing and working up campaign systems for the Field of Glory 2 and Field of Glory Medieval games.
(there is the added advantage there that the battles there are pretty much taken care of by the game -- no OOB's and maps to build.)

This means that I am putting most of my CM2 stuff on the back burner -- the 24 Hours at St. Clervaux CMFB campaign is thereby put on hold until later in the year (once the current FOG2 infatuation wears off)

The CM2 King of the Hill tourney I will keep going -- it's quick and snappy and not too much work -- there'll be an update and kick off for the next round tomorrow (Wednesday) evening.

I'll be closing down the Donning the Purple, Roman Civil Wars FOG2 tourney -- it was a fun idea and worked pretty well -- but it will be replaced by two new FOG2 campaigns.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Long Live The King, Field of Glory 2 Medieval Campaign is off to a good start... first round battles nearly completed and the simple campaign system seems a good basis for future similar campaigns in all kinds of settings (thinking of possible Roman Empire... Gallic Wars... settings... or Dark Ages Britain)

1614712725507.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kicking off soon and based on the above campaign system -- RECONQUISTA is a Field of Glory 2 campaign that is set just after the powerful Caliphate of Cordoba had broken up into smaller Taifa States ruling Al Andalus: Bajadoz, Sevilla and Valencia... giving the Spanish Christian kingdoms in the north (Leon, Castile and Aragon) the chance to go on the offensive and try and reconquer the Iberian peninsula from Muslim rule.

reconquista-set-up-jpg.22497

This will need a minimum of 6 players to command and fight for the 6 factions (with additional battlefield commanders like in Long Live The King.

The playtesting is completed and the rules are basically nailed down -- so this can start soon.

The intention is also (if we get the inevitable FOG2 Medieval Crusades DLC, and I'm sure they'll cover this conflict) to update this into the later medieval period once feasible.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been meaning to get it right to build a good, clean and workable campaign system featuring Byzantium -- and I think this last weekend I have finally managed it.

I've called it Crescent Rising: Byzantium, Sassanid Persia and the Arab Conquests of the 7th Century

Really pleased with this one... could actually be built into a Vassal module (will need to chat to @Nathangun )

It starts with the end of the Byzantine-Sassanid wars of the early 600's .... and then at some point in the first few turns the Arabs start invading the Levant and Mesopotamia and the two bankrupt, exhausted empires try and hold them back. Added pain in the rear for the Byzantines are Bulgars raiding into Greece and Thrace (and there are dire consequences if they make it as far as Constantinople) -- an nowhere near enough treasury resources to cover all the fronts.

The Arabs' goal is to spread Islam as far as possible to the ends of the earth -- if the Sassanid capital of Ctesiphon falls, the Sassanid Empire fractures into a rump leftover centred on Persepolis, the Armenian Kingdom goes independent... and the Dabuyid rule northern Iran. Sindh represents the gateway to modern Pakistan defended by norther Indian armies (yay, elephants! -- all factions represented in FOG2)

Crescent Rising Final sample.jpg

It'll initially be a three-player invitational campaign ( @Wellsonian gets first dibs on Byzantines) -- with added players once it gets going properly -- the system rarely allows for at most 3 - 4 battles per turn. (been intensively testing it since Sunday)

It'll take me a couple more weeks to formalise the rules... then this can also kick off.

If these all fly, we'll have a LOT of Field of Glory action coming up -- we might need to bring some players in from Slitherine boards... will see. Goes without saying -- first call will always be the FGM stalwarts!! :2charge:

Below -- a page of rough rules notes I scribbled down for the playtesting...(also the die roll charts I use to "play out"the battle results) -- how it all starts, messy pencil scribbles on a piece of paper. :cool:

notes.jpg

It looks great. I'd have to see what game you run it on in the end, not sure I'm up for buying much DLC and only got FOG2 Medieval right now. Anyway, I'll wait and see but good work @Rico , I love the presentation, simplicity and the artwork.

Back