Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Round 1

Paleolithic Monk

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Here's a quick review on my heroic 45mm AT gun. I positioned it behind a hedge line for concealment, but didn't give it an arc of fire, just let the AI do its thing at first. As the battle continued, and as @Lews Therin committed a push through this part of the map, I kept the gun engaging in the same direction. If we had armor this battle, I know the gun wouldn't have been nearly as successful.
The Maxim MG next to the gun was a bonus. That crew got shredded down to 1 Pixeltruppen and I took a few turns to limp him and his wheeled MG over to protect the gun.
The pic shows the AT guns position and the field of fire it had. The numbers are the destroyed half-tracks, but not in the specific order they were taken out. If you look at the remining round count, he was pretty much out of ammo when the cease-fire took place. (Also note we had originally started with 45 min and had agreed to cease-fire at 15 min to go) *Just noticed the 5 should be on the other side of the bridge, but you get the idea.
The bodies are mostly the German attackers who managed to make it to the hedge line. I posted a pic earlier where the AT gun blasted one of the attackers with an HE round.
AT gun 1.JPG

Last edited:

Paleolithic Monk

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
As my battle with @Lethaface is getting to the end, the fighting is getting quite up close and personnel! My SPW 251/10 support half-track is overrun by Soviet infantry. That SMG burst through the drivers vision slot just sent him to see his ancestors. RIP Private! The remaining crew member tried to eject and run for cover but he was shot in the back by the blood thirsty grunts.
close 1a.JPG

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
As my battle with @Lethaface is getting to the end, the fighting is getting quite up close and personnel! My SPW 251/10 support half-track is overrun by Soviet infantry. That SMG burst through the drivers vision slot just sent him to see his ancestors. RIP Private! The remaining crew member tried to eject and run for cover but he was shot in the back by the blood thirsty grunts.
View attachment 26164

It was a hard fought battle but in the end my brave men held the line, apart from some empty halftracks that speeded through my lines, looking for schnaps probably. Good game!

A wise German:

Combat Mission Red Thunder Screenshot 2021.11.21 - 17.10.58.18.png

Our vodka is ours!
Combat Mission Red Thunder Screenshot 2021.11.21 - 17.10.12.72.png

End Result:

Combat Mission Red Thunder Screenshot 2021.11.21 - 17.12.05.23.png

Gunner

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Excellent fight that one.
Well played both of you.

Funny, the first two scores were German victories then the Russian steamroller took over.
I've updated the standings/total scores and winner tables on the Tournament Standings thread.

Status as of Nov 21st:

pKRlQKk.jpg

SlySniper

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Here's a quick review on my heroic 45mm AT gun. I positioned it behind a hedge line for concealment, but didn't give it an arc of fire, just let the AI do its thing at first. As the battle continued, and as @Lews Therin committed a push through this part of the map, I kept the gun engaging in the same direction. If we had armor this battle, I know the gun wouldn't have been nearly as successful.
The Maxim MG next to the gun was a bonus. That crew got shredded down to 1 Pixeltruppen and I took a few turns to limp him and his wheeled MG over to protect the gun.
The pic shows the AT guns position and the field of fire it had. The numbers are the destroyed half-tracks, but not in the specific order they were taken out. If you look at the remining round count, he was pretty much out of ammo when the cease-fire took place. (Also note we had originally started with 45 min and had agreed to cease-fire at 15 min to go) *Just noticed the 5 should be on the other side of the bridge, but you get the idea.
The bodies are mostly the German attackers who managed to make it to the hedge line. I posted a pic earlier where the AT gun blasted one of the attackers with an HE round.
View attachment 26163

Having a game like that is part of the fun playing for sure.

That gun was in a perfect location for what the opponant did.

Where was the combined arms for your opponant.

Note to him. Send out a scout unit, find the threats. what part of not having mortars on call to take out AT guns made sence when they were likely to be encountered. Lesson learned hopefully, now dont do it again.

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Excellent fight that one.
Well played both of you.

Funny, the first two scores were German victories then the Russian steamroller took over.
I've updated the standings/total scores and winner tables on the Tournament Standings thread.

Status as of Nov 21st:

Thanks! A bit nackered after a 'heavy' weekend and footbal matchday today. So will do a bit more of a write up this week.

My game against artkin has 6min left now, looking good for the axis attacker in that one.

Artkin

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
I found attacking as the axis pretty pleasant. Defending as the soviets has been anarchy.

I don't like playing with single vehicles. That's super cheesy to me. I could have picked a HQ and the rest overpowered vehicles if I really wanted.

Considering the soviets never really had a mechanized branch, defending as them has been nothing short of a horribly unpleasant experience. *laugh/crying emoji*

Monty's Mighty Moustache

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Yeah this is hard going defending as the Soviets, I may have made a few mistakes with my force selection but you live and learn. Only my 3rd QB so still not really sure about what's where and when. Hard slog defending all those objectives with not many places to hide.

MMM

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
I found attacking as the axis pretty pleasant. Defending as the soviets has been anarchy.

I don't like playing with single vehicles. That's super cheesy to me. I could have picked a HQ and the rest overpowered vehicles if I really wanted.

Considering the soviets never really had a mechanized branch, defending as them has been nothing short of a horribly unpleasant experience. *laugh/crying emoji*

As the Soviets I didn't pick any vehicles either (apart from leaving some of the organic trucks- too much actually, I forgot to delete a couple). However the 'mechanized infantry' also includes motorized infantry. Plus, USSR did have quite a lot of mechanized corps which included motorized troops. Also they received US halftracks through lendlease. Overall one can easily say that the level of motorization for the USSR was significantly higher than the level of motorization for German forces.

On single vehicles: I do agree that if you would have picked only a HQ and filled that out with single vehicle purchases: that would be cheesy in my opinion. However picking a core force (for example a infantry company) and adding some vehicles to the mix, that wouldn't have to be cheesy at all. As a matter of fact, infantry companies (or other formations) would always have been part of a larger formation. Attaching support weapons / vehicles from higher level to lower level formations was something that was and is done all the time.

In our match it seems you brought an infantry heavy force with 2 AT gun and no indirect fire support. So while your forward infantry line was solid and caused some casualties against my push, my supporting halftracks (4x 251/17s and 2x Stummel) could swing the fire superiority to my side without much threat (the single AT gun on the flank I chose to attack was suppressed by several MGs and Halftrack fire and abandoned after a couple of turns).

For this battle and given the open terrain I was fearing AT guns and mortars, so used a 105mm smoke barrage to isolate your left flank and push through in company strength, using the few buildings in the middle as a support by fire position. Not my best execution play (among other things I screwed up my ininital mortar prep fire; or rather thought I would be able to adjust a delayed strike without receiving a new delay) but it worked rather well in the end.
My 81mm mortar barrage decided the battle for the right objective (or rather speeded up the overrunning), now my battery of 105s is suppressing any defenses along the road while my infantry pushes forward. Although the main application of the 105 was their smoke and not sure if their HE did much to change the course of the battle.

After I was pushing his left flank objective, Artkin decided to move out on my (relatively empty) left flank and try to turn it, but one or two platoons of infantry wasn't going to do much against my fire support position (with 2 HMG and several more LMG42, a 251/17 and a stummel). Observing his flank move I repositioned some MG teams to address it.

For purchase I brought a full company of motorized pz grens ('dismounted' as I deleted all trucks but one), keeping two HMG 42 and the 81mm offmap, while adding another company with 2 platoons of infantry only. Combined with 4x 251/17, 2x Stummels and the 105mm battery I feel it's a well rounded force.

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
In my game against @Paleolithic Monk I made some errors during the force pick and setup (it was a bit hasty due to being behind schedule given my holidays and catching up stuff after): I misremembered the rules and got a TRP (discovered during setup a file later, so I just placed in my backlines) plus I had kept much more trucks than I planned. Also my setup was a bit lazy, putting men in obvious observation posts on the first turn and only hiding a couple of units.

I picked a USSR Rifle battalion, keeping 1 infantry company plus a tankodesanti platoon, 2 of the 57mm AT guns, 4x (iirc) HMGs from the HMG company and 5 mortars (of which one was KO'ed first turn by a direct hit on it's foxhole), rounded out by a couple of foxholes and a single strafing Sturmovik for some spice.

Even though I didn't chose the SMG Battalion, I opted for close range fight since I felt a long range fight would be in the favor of the German forces. So I positioned a relative strong picket line behind a forward hedge, with orders to ambush his infantry when they came inside 150m. The AT rifles sprinkled accross the picket line, with MMGs, HMGs and the mortars further back. The remainder of my infantry were positioned in depth.

Monk went for a halftrack heavy force, with two quad AA vehicles.

His initial preparatory fires did quite some harm among my troops and I was struggling to get LOS on his halftracks with my AT guns (one of the AT guns did some wonky stuff at the start of the battle, I might have screwed up the placement). But my picket line ambush worked quite good and was able to hold his infantry advancing through the open field, helped by the MGs and mortars in depth.
When my left AT gun was finally setup again it was able to KO a couple of HTs on the let flank and MG/infantry positions.The right AT gun struggled to get LOS/LOF on the right, however it managed to get a Stummel on the left and I used it to fire at his support fire position.

With pressure on my left winding down, Monk mounted a mechanized attack with a lot of halftracks on my right. However I was able to attrite his infantry with mortar/mg fire and when they got close my SMG infantry gave them some business. With his infantry in bad shape I felt I controlled the battle, but couldn't do much against his halftracks from a distance since by that time both my AT guns were out of action. The AT-rifles didn't impress me, perhaps I should have kept them further back but even penetrations would do little to nothing on his halftracks.
However my infantry in depth did a good job on any halftrack coming closer with it's gunner explosed, which slowly but surely diminished the amount of outgoing firepower Monk could muster.

The plane didn't do much but at least kept his AA vehicles occupied for a couple of turns, and immobilized one of them in a strafing run (and attacking one of my mortar teams in another, luckily it was already out of ammo).

I held all three objectives but had issue stopping his halftracks speeding through my lines and racing to the second. I tried to counter with infantry close assaults but didn't put too much effort since I felt the game was finished already. All in all a good fight. I think Monk brought perhaps a bit too many halftracks, should he have more infantry left he might have been able to reinforce his push on my right flank and get a proper foothold in or even clear the right objective.

Artkin

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
I think I had the right force selection, just at the wrong places. Those AT guns were a little too keyholed instead of taking a broader firing position. Also I had expected them to carry some HE. Big mistake. They wound up just getting area targeted by all of the enemy's MG42's... cheesy. Not really worried about it, and I don't really care about it. That's just part of the game! The zis 2/3 guns were a little too large for me to consider picking them, as the lines of sight on this map are truly horrendous! However the zis-3 seems like it would have been the best pick. Despite all the halftracks, the enemy infantry still have two MG's per squad which are pretty devastating.

If I had something bigger than 7.62 so supplement my AT guns I think I would have done much better. I totally forgot they added the quad AA but I probably wouldn't have picked it still.

The infantry didn't fare much better. That flank I hit @Lethaface with managed to kill 0 enemies despite being on a firing line for about 5 turns. That was a full platoon of infantry firing away the entire time!
One of my poor SMG squads surrendered in less than 20 seconds once told to unhide and break their tiny circle target arc (To maintain cover). That was disappointing!
I've had good experiences with the guards infantry and then this one.. certainly my worst experience with them. :mad:

Anyways, this has been a good tournament, and I've definitely had fun on both sides. I anticipate the following matches!

P.S. I accidentally forgot to delete some trucks too. Those mofos slipped through because I was rushing through my purchase screen since my game loves to crash now.
I thought Lethaface would have found it funny with them blocking the bridges. :ROFLMAO:

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
I think I had the right force selection, just at the wrong places. Those AT guns were a little too keyholed instead of taking a broader firing position. Also I had expected them to carry some HE. Big mistake. They wound up just getting area targeted by all of the enemy's MG42's... cheesy. Not really worried about it, and I don't really care about it. That's just part of the game! The zis 2/3 guns were a little too large for me to consider picking them, as the lines of sight on this map are truly horrendous! However the zis-3 seems like it would have been the best pick. Despite all the halftracks, the enemy infantry still have two MG's per squad which are pretty devastating.

If I had something bigger than 7.62 so supplement my AT guns I think I would have done much better. I totally forgot they added the quad AA but I probably wouldn't have picked it still.

The infantry didn't fare much better. That flank I hit @Lethaface with managed to kill 0 enemies despite being on a firing line for about 5 turns. That was a full platoon of infantry firing away the entire time!
One of my poor SMG squads surrendered in less than 20 seconds once told to unhide and break their tiny circle target arc (To maintain cover). That was disappointing!
I've had good experiences with the guards infantry and then this one.. certainly my worst experience with them. :mad:

Anyways, this has been a good tournament, and I've definitely had fun on both sides. I anticipate the following matches!

Not sure If I had to area target the one AT gun I took out, it opened fire at my infantry and they tend to return fire at such a target ;-). Although I probably did order some for good measure and IIRC also a Stummel and 251/17 took shots at it's position. It could well have been Plt. HQ or Co HQ ordered fires, as I like to keep forces in c2. Anyway area fire is indeed part of the game (and real life), even hardcat rules allow it (although restricted).

I liked your flank move (better than a pure static defense) and it did cause at least one casualty (and quite some suppression). But my support by fire position wasn't worse than your firing line, probably better with the cover provided by houses. There was plenty of teams ready for a push should you have tried to sprint through the open under HMG fire ;-)

But it has been a good fight indeed.

The dogged remains of the flank:

Combat Mission Red Thunder Screenshot 2021.11.22 - 20.51.06.37.png

P.S. I accidentally forgot to delete some trucks too. Those mofos slipped through because I was rushing through my purchase screen since my game loves to crash now.
I thought Lethaface would have found it funny with them blocking the bridges. :ROFLMAO:

Sure was a nice touch!
I actually also thought about it with my trucks, but not sure if they even block the bridge and I was actually wanting my enemy used those because they provided better LOS/LOF for AT guns and rifles.

Artkin

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
at least one casualty
:eek:

Really the point was just to delay part of your force and take the heavy equipment away from attacking my defenses. I knew there was going to be no way to get into that town since my AT rifles were kinda far away.

I find it pretty ridiculous after firing for how many minutes now? Neither of us had really given each other casualties besides the SPW and the 251/17 killing a few.
Who let realistic firefights into our CM game?!?! :mad:

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Ine of my poor SMG squads surrendered in less than 20 seconds once told to unhide and break their tiny circle target arc (To maintain cover). That was disappointing!

This one? I guess they recognized the fact they were in shitty sheds, surrounded by a company of enemy infantry and getting torn to shreds by a hail of incoming MG fire :LOL:

Although IIRC they didn't get to surrender eventually :p

Artkin

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
This one? I guess they recognized the fact they were in shitty sheds, surrounded by a company of enemy infantry and getting torn to shreds by a hail of incoming MG fire :LOL:

Although IIRC they didn't get to surrender eventually :p
LOL Yup, they weren't even taking that much fire. That was the quickest surrender I've ever had. I guess they kind of paid for themselves, but not really.

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
LOL Yup, they weren't even taking that much fire. That was the quickest surrender I've ever had. I guess they kind of paid for themselves, but not really.
IIRC half of them got shot in a couple of seconds, but indeed they did surrender pretty quick.

Artkin

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
My battle against @Artkin has ended without overtime in a Tactical Victory for the German Army. Good fight!
Horrible fight! :cry: I did even worse than I thought!
I am pretty happy to see that neither of us did well though. Next time I will be a lot more open with my AT guns rather than having them so obscured.

I expected an attack on a wide frontage rather than such a narrow one. In my battle with MMM I had done such with pretty good results.

Good game!

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Horrible fight! :cry: I did even worse than I thought!
I am pretty happy to see that neither of us did well though. Next time I will be a lot more open with my AT guns rather than having them so obscured.

I expected an attack on a wide frontage rather than such a narrow one. In my battle with MMM I had done such with pretty good results.

Good game!
I was rather happy with my troops performance; breakthrough achieved and most of the infantry fit for further action, no halftracks lost. It would be a matter of time to roll up the remaining resistance. My main flaw was the application of my offmap mortars and the 105mmHE, that could have allowed for faster progress.