Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Round 1

Artkin

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Damn the Soviets are getting brutalized!
I thought their AT rifles would do SOME sort of damage. They seem pretty ineffective on this map. Probably because the LOS is evil!

Artkin

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
the application of my offmap mortars and the 105mmHE, that could have allowed for faster progress.
I was glad to see them falling so late. I knew your boys couldnt advance through that.

I was struggling on for dear life at that point and I reaaally didnt want it to go into overtime.

OnePingOnly

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Website
www.youtube.com
My game with @Bill ended with a German Tactical Victory....barely.
OPO vs Bill Final.png
Due to the variable time limit, the game went one extra minute before a cease-fire was called. Had the game ended on time, it would have been a draw, as in that extra minute I killed the last Soviet infantry in objective BLUE.
OPO vs Bill-Map.png

Conversely, with another extra minute I would have likely secured objective RED. As it was, a holdout Soviet HQ unit contested RED and caused my final casualties as I rushed to clear the objective:
OPO vs Bill-1.png

I attacked on both flanks with infantry and half-tracks (251/1, /9 Stummels, /17, and /21's), supported by on-map mortars. I spent the first 10 minutes spotting units and sniping them with mortars, and firing into likely observation positions with my half-tracks. The next 10 minutes I advanced to contact.
OPO vs Bill-16.png
On the (attacker's) left flank, I ran into pinning fire from Bill's SMG teams at the road & rail junction. Once pinned, Bill unloaded with direct fire mortars. Most of a platoon got wiped out here.
OPO vs Bill-14.png

My own direct fire mortars (including counter-battery fire), half-track support, and usage of smoke finally allowed a breakthrough into the RED objective. I had to get the half-tracks right up at the front line to have any effect on this flank.
OPO vs Bill-13.png
After the breakthrough, several advancing half-tracks and infantry teams were rapidly killed by a bypassed 76mm infantry gun, which Bill turned around and fired into my rear. The Infantry Gun was clearly @Bill 's MVP with 3 half-tracks and 1 truck destroyed, and 12 casualties inflicted.
My forces were in poor shape by this point, but were able to push through RED and move into GREEN enough to contest it.
OPO vs Bill-12.png

On the flank with objective BLUE, I focused fire on the Soviet infantry hunkered down in the houses, while taking some losses from anti-tank guns and MG teams.
OPO vs Bill-11.png

The open sight lines on this flank and the advantage in long-range German firepower allowed me to push up to and capture this objective in the final 10 minutes.
<How is this house still standing?>
OPO vs Bill-2.png

I probably should have used more smoke, but my mortars were constantly working to suppress/kill the Soviet's heavy weapons positions. Also, I felt that the smoke would negate what I perceived as a long-range firepower advantage afforded by all the half-tracks with MG42s, plus the Stummels and that really nasty 251/21. That firepower was effective on the (attacker's) right flank and in suppressing the taller buildings on the left. However, the hedges that masked my approach on the left also prevented me from effectively using the half-tracks to break up Bill's defensive line along the railway.

Overall, the key to the battle was winning the long-range fight and then using the survivors to break through. Unit positioning was also a factor: Bill's set-up anticipated me attacking through the ditches in the center, and so he had to try and pull back and redeploy under heavy fire.

Good game, Bill!

Last edited:

Monty's Mighty Moustache

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Interesting. I was thinking the wide open space would not be friendly to a wide front attack and as the Soviets was fearing an attack focused on one flank.
I just don't have enough forces to hold all 3 objectives, plus as Artkin says the sightlines are awful on this map for the defender due to the bumps and hedges. My chosen tactics may have something to do with it too :D I will give a full debrief once it's finished (only 2 minutes left).

MMM

OnePingOnly

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Website
www.youtube.com
I just don't have enough forces to hold all 3 objectives, plus as Artkin says the sightlines are awful on this map for the defender due to the bumps and hedges.
I didn't get a chance to play my Soviet defender battle all the way through, but in that one I planned very little attempt to hold Objective Blue. I figured I could lose 1 objective and still win. Objective Blue was just too exposed. I had my forces in the ditch and courtyard behind Blue, to block any advance from Blue to the center (Green) - or, if I was feeling punchy, to counterattack into Blue.

With 3 objectives spanning virtually the entire width of the map, I think it really requires a reserve force to reinforce the primary objective(s), once identified. The problem is getting them redeployed without being chewed up by German long-range weapons. I was never sure how good of sight lines the Germans had to the area behind the objectives.

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
I need someone to give me directions how to post on this site again, it seems my old methods dont work with images any more.

I can see the screenshots without issue.

You can also just drag them from PC to the comment (which I often do, because I forget to use another tool; which saves space for FGM).

I like IMG BB better than imgur, also comes without banners: https://imgbb.com/ . If you select 'BBcode fully linked' you can just copy paste the code into the forum comment and it works.

Redwolf

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
With 3 objectives spanning virtually the entire width of the map, I think it really requires a reserve force to reinforce the primary objective(s), once identified. The problem is getting them redeployed without being chewed up by German long-range weapons. I was never sure how good of sight lines the Germans had to the area behind the objectives.

Good enough to nail Soviet halftracks back there with mortars, those which were my reserve :)

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER

SlySniper

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
I can see the screenshots without issue.

You can also just drag them from PC to the comment (which I often do, because I forget to use another tool; which saves space for FGM).

I like IMG BB better than imgur, also comes without banners: https://imgbb.com/ . If you select 'BBcode fully linked' you can just copy paste the code into the forum comment and it works.
That is what I did at one time, but drag and drop gives me a error message now. so does BBcode links if I put them in.

So not sure what has happened, but it sounds like it has something to do with my unit or settings.

SlySniper

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
I was thinking about getting those triple barrel 15mm halftracks, but I was expecting them to burn through ammo. Seemed they did rather good business!

Yes, I did 2 with the 15mm and two with the 20mm. Three of the four had huge numbers for kills and the other still had around 6.

Ammo does go quickly, but I generaaly have learned to give them 30 second for targets to help on that. Needless to say, I was able to just make it last without running out of ammo. but the ammo count was getting low.

Stafford

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
@SlySniper here is the method I use.

Jump over to imgur.com, make a new post and upload your pic, wait a few seconds for it to upload, then right click on the pic > open image in new tab.
This will give you the pic with a direct link in the address box, copy that link and use 'link image' on this forum, paste the link in there - done!

I'm not sure but I thought @Bootie may have turned off local pic hosting as it was chewing up too much data?

Gotta Total Victory as the defending Russians in this one. Good game @sspoom

Here's our AAR:

EnBKjs8.jpg

Here's the lay of the land at our cease fire 1 min into OT!

XUi9rd2.jpg

Guardsman

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
my battle with Sly sniper ended yesterday. German victory. His AA HT's utterly destroyed me, 3 of the 4 accounted for 60 casualties alone! :oops: His mortars did the rest. The last few turns were just brutal as they systematically scythed through every building and hedgerow hiding my men. I was outgunned, outnumbered and outfought, so well done to him. I certainly got schooled in purchasing units for QB's, something i am a newb too, having always fought scenarios. But even tactically he used the terrain very well. I had two ATG's and two ATR's but none of them got a shot off as i just never got LOS on a target :( 1 of each was still left at battle end but still nothing to shoot at. I only had a handful of men still alive when the battle ended. Got my butt kicked !