Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Round 1

Artkin

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Good game Monty! about ten minutes in I realize my advance was far too slow and I really started to push it. I don't think I even had anyone over the center barrier.

The horror! o_O

CM-Red-Thunder-2021-11-26-13-32-48-63.png

Last edited:

Monty's Mighty Moustache

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Good game Monty! about ten minutes in I realize my advance was far too slow and I really started to push it. I don't think I even had anyone over the center barrier.

The horror! o_O

CM-Red-Thunder-2021-11-26-13-32-48-63.png
Yeah good game @Artkin, I feel you on the not moving fast enough, I've done exactly that in my game as the Germans and I will be lucky to get much achieved. Not used to the shorter times but lesson learned :)

A quick AAR for our battle. I went with two Cavalry squadrons with no ATGs as I figured I couldn't find a good place to put them where they would have good cover or concealment and have good LOS onto possible AoAs, unless you tried to drive straight up the road on my right or in single file across the field on my left and I figured you probably wouldn't do that.

With that in mind and knowing that you probably would bring vehicles I decided to defend back with only MMG teams covering the approaches and a piquet line of AT rifle teams in case you charged in with vehicles, but I expected you to lead with the infantry (which you did). I had planned to pull the piquet line back under suppressive mortar fires if needed and I held the 2 squadrons back to move to where they were needed when the attack began. They were to bring fire in quickly when needed.

Now comes the good bit, I bought some TRPs and on-map mortar teams who were stashed at the back because I was convinced that they could direct fire at TRPs without line of sight and I didn't test it. They can't. I must be remembering a feature from CMx1. The plan had been to quickly bring fires down on the TRPs when I saw you appraching them, and approaching them you did but when I tried to fire I was a bit stuck. I then had to call in fire using an HQ unit and that took several minutes, by which time your guys had bypassed the TRPs.

Once I saw your Stummels I tried my utmost to stay away from the buildings and any other obvious places that would get shot up but on this map there really isn't anywhere to hide that many troops towards the back and they got spotted pretty easily trying to move back there.

The result of all this was that you were able to get your force up close to the objectives without taking too much of a mauling and the plan went downhill from then, even when I did start bringing the mortars up to fire directly, and it was all but over at that point.

Had I realised the limitation with the mortars I would have had them in spots where they could see and I would have defended much further forward, 1 squadron up and 1 back, and tried to make you pay for every inch.

Oh well, you live and learn and thanks for the game, you pulled off a textbook attack and got your just rewards.

MMM

Monty's Mighty Moustache

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Combat Mission Red Thunder Screenshot 2021.12.01 - 09.00.16.19.png

My game against sspoom has ended. What a catastrophe :) I took far too long to get going and didn't take into account how tired my guys would get. I also traded vehicles for more artillery which the FOs couldn't seem to get on target for the most part, should have brought some Stummels.

My plan was to feint on the left flank and charge over the right flank but as I said I didn't move quick enough and wasted the smoke screen and the suppressive fires.

Well played @sspoom.

MMM

Gunner

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
OK I'm back.

Thanks for the update MMM.

With 13 games complete the Russians have the edge in victories 7 games to 6 but are way ahead in points 6364 to 4408.

By this Saturday I will start a Round 2 thread announcing the opponents for the round along with parameters and rules.
Sunday December 5th will be the kickoff of Round 2.
I'm thinking maybe 8 week deadline. It seems like we started at 5 turns a week for a 6 week deadline but had a rough start so gave an extra week just to get things started for a 7 week deadline. As it is we're in to Week 8.
Now we're going in to the end of year holidays so I figure best to add a week.

@Lews Therin @Bill Can I get an update on your game?

Lews Therin

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
OK I'm back.

Thanks for the update MMM.

With 13 games complete the Russians have the edge in victories 7 games to 6 but are way ahead in points 6364 to 4408.

By this Saturday I will start a Round 2 thread announcing the opponents for the round along with parameters and rules.
Sunday December 5th will be the kickoff of Round 2.
I'm thinking maybe 8 week deadline. It seems like we started at 5 turns a week for a 6 week deadline but had a rough start so gave an extra week just to get things started for a 7 week deadline. As it is we're in to Week 8.
Now we're going in to the end of year holidays so I figure best to add a week.

@Lews Therin @Bill Can I get an update on your game?
Just a few minutes left until time is out