Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Round 2

Stafford

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER

My battle with @OnePingOnly has concluded.

44i9Yo7.png

With my points I brought a pared down company of PzGrens, a Jagdpanther, and some AT mines. The strategy was fairly simple, sight the big cat down the main avenue that would have to be crossed in order to reach the third objective while concentrating most of my infantry in the same area. One platoon, the weakest, was set up at the opposite end of the map as a quasi-scouting/blocking force. Unfortunately the main body of @OnePingOnlys advance came through this area and all but the platoon HQ, one fire team, and one Panzershreck team met their ends swiftly, the remnants falling back across the main avenue to set up a new defensive area.
@OnePingOnly then attempted to advance a platoon across the main avenue simultaneously and came into the gunsights of my Jagdpanther, cue a massacre. At the same time after a fierce bombardment of the objective closest to him he moved into the area without incident - I had stationed no troops there.
Now knowing what awaited him on the main avenue he elected to move sideways towards the second objective at a careful pace, his flame T-34 had been spraying down buildings as it moved forward and finally scored a single casualty with the flames coming clear through a building and clipping a squad sheltering behind. However, with the flame being in range of my troops, meant his tank was in range of them - and a Panzershreck round through the upper glacis spurred the remaining tank crew to rethink their life choices and take flight.
Unfortunately my brave 'shreck wielding truppen met his end within seconds of firing as a hail of SMG fire from the opposite buildings did their terrible work.
@OnePingOnly now having found the main body of my troops, he laid down a heavy barrage on the area in preparation for the inevitable infantry assault, fortunately most of my truppen were indoors in the heavy buildings and they got through having suffered perhaps a half dozen casualties and a few wounded. This was followed up by a massed assault into one of the large buildings I had covered from several angles, a brutal, close range firefight ensued with the Reds coming off much the worse - although sappers blew through an internal wall on one of the buildings my troops were firing from and that squad was wiped out, a clever move.
On the street more Reds attempted to storm the area with the aid of a 75 Sherman, but the troops were cut down in the street by more STG fire and the Sherman like its armoured mate, met its end to another well placed Panzershreck round.
While this had been happening, @OnePingOnly made another attempt to cross the main avenue, first by laying down smoke from the Sherman and then by running his squads all the way across the street. The smoke did little in the heavy wind and blew away quickly, but rushing the street worked quite well - a dozen or so casualties were taken by the Red infantry as they stormed across, but in the end the big cat simply couldn't load fast enough to take them all out.

With the battle time now winding down and knowing I probably couldn't push him off the third objective, shaken up or not, he still had the better part of a platoon in the area against my partial squad, platoon, company, and battalion HQs, and a few panzershreck teams. Therefore I took steps to deny the objective by rushing the company HQ up into the far edge of it, and covered the building with some a fire team pinched from the main body. Another heavy bombardment came down on the third objective in the closing minutes, but no casualties were sustained by my troops.

In the end what lost me the game was that I lost track of what minute I was on, I thought I had two minutes left when I only had one, and no extra time was granted. Obviously I could rush the Jagdpanther forward onto the far objective and deny it, and intended to do so, but it was not to be. This would not have made any difference to my score, and only would have denied @OnePingOnly the 325 points, but that's life.

Thanks to @OnePingOnly, it was an enjoyable and challenging game! (y)

yCYr9Lg.png

The beast of Berlin and some of his 46 kills.

OnePingOnly

FGM Corporal
FGM MEMBER
Website
www.youtube.com

My battle with @OnePingOnly has concluded.
Thanks for an interesting game, @Stafford.
I'm pissed at myself (in both games this round) for 1) second-guessing my plan, which resulted in an unfavourable/less-favourable outcome and 2) making inexplicably dumb decisions.
My original plan was to attack the apartment block first with all but token forces. This is why I purchased Sappers to augment SMG companies in the first place - to blast through the buildings and entry-less walls in this area. While this would still have been bloody business, overwhelming weight of firepower from a fresh and concentrated force backed by artillery had a better chance of eliminating Stafford's main force, leaving the rest of the objectives for the (easier) taking. I can't even remember why I changed my mind at the last minute. Grrrrr!
As it happened, I attacked down the opposite flank but missed the timing of my pre-laid smoke barrage for crossing the main avenue. I decided that I couldn't wait for a re-set on the smoke mission (Soviet arty call-in times being what they are), and charged, believing I could rely on numbers and the little remaining smoke to carry me across. I wasn't even sure where the shells were coming from until two platoons were wiped out in the middle of the street from the Jagdpanther at the far end.
Based on Stafford's dispositions, most of my artillery hit nothing, although it was beautiful to behold :D.
My biggest mistake was splitting my force in an attempt to take both remaining objectives, vs ensuring I took one and just sending enough troops to deny the other. I KNEW not to do this, but got greedy and did it anyway. Result: neither force had enough gas in the tank to accomplish their mission.
Oh well, live and (hopefully) learn.

Guardsman

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
I am in a very intense battle with Redwolf. I now know how german defenders felt when no matter how many reds they cut down, another wave comes charging at them straight after! Think i have repulsed about 4 such advances so far and still they come. Each time we lose a few more men and so inevitably less firepower to react to the next wave, but we are hanging on grimly.
Have to say my Wirbelwind was a sterling purchase though, not only do they look the business (always loved these from Tamiya days), they dish out some serious firepower to opposing apartment buildings full of reds ! :2charge: the gunfire hitting the buildings looks spectacular. About 13mins remaining, a fight to the death this one.

Monty's Mighty Moustache

FGM Corporal
FGM MEMBER
I must admit I usually stay away from urban fights when playing CM because I always found them to be a bit of a grind and I get bored (I've probably only played maybe 4 or 5 total) but these are quite fun. Just savage.

I'm learning a lot!

MMM

OnePingOnly

FGM Corporal
FGM MEMBER
Website
www.youtube.com
Have to say my Wirbelwind was a sterling purchase though, not only do they look the business (always loved these from Tamiya days)
Oh yes, me too - the Tamiya kit of the Wirbelwind was my pride and joy on the shelf for a long time.
The only real complaint I have about CM is that it keeps me from modeling.

Redwolf

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
I am in a very intense battle with Redwolf. I now know how german defenders felt when no matter how many reds they cut down, another wave comes charging at them straight after! Think i have repulsed about 4 such advances so far and still they come. Each time we lose a few more men and so inevitably less firepower to react to the next wave, but we are hanging on grimly.
Have to say my Wirbelwind was a sterling purchase though, not only do they look the business (always loved these from Tamiya days), they dish out some serious firepower to opposing apartment buildings full of reds ! :2charge: the gunfire hitting the buildings looks spectacular. About 13mins remaining, a fight to the death this one.

Sounds about right, but at some point I will avenge the SU-122 you knocked out
smile
flaming.gif

Gunner

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Lethaface,
That's interesting. I never would have thought of buying mines.
Would one of you please post the final screen?

I must admit I usually stay away from urban fights when playing CM because I always found them to be a bit of a grind and I get bored (I've probably only played maybe 4 or 5 total) but these are quite fun. Just savage.

I'm learning a lot!

MMM

MMM, I was of the same mind but after looking in on a few of the battles it has opened my eyes to the advantages of choosing certain units and equipment and also the challenges of fire and movement.
Although I can't play, I can live vicariously through others. ;)

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Lethaface,
That's interesting. I never would have thought of buying mines.
Would one of you please post the final screen?

MMM, I was of the same mind but after looking in on a few of the battles it has opened my eyes to the advantages of choosing certain units and equipment and also the challenges of fire and movement.
Although I can't play, I can live vicariously through others. ;)

It was indeed an interesting tactic and could have worked even better if I had been more balls to the walls aggressive. But they still caused around 5 casualties per AP mine I tripped on (4 out of 5) and the AT mines immobilized one of my OT-34-85s (I managed to evade the other 4 AT mines).
All my other vehicles (had 2 OT-34-85, 1x SU-122, 1x Quad .50 AA) did however pass near the mines so had some luck, although after the first vehicle hit one I was trying to be careful to move them on improbable places for mines.

Anyway the result:

Combat Mission Red Thunder Screenshot 2022.01.12 - 15.19.52.21.png

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Wow.
It looks like you had 313 men to 128.
Overwhelming odds indeed.
Indeed. Imo the terrain is very defensive but the objectives too big for too little defenders to defend everywhere. German player really has to cause massive casualties someway and see from there how to deal with objectives.

One thing I discovered is the Volksgrenadiers are very well supplied with STG44 so can dish out quite good volume of fire as well, with some squads with MG42s as well for more long range fires.

Guardsman

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Anyone find the smg fire a little too effective? The men being killed are in masonry high rise apartment blocks being fired at from 100m + ranges. In my battle enemy are firing up from ground floors up at 2nd floors upwards...my men must be hanging out the windows! Just seems infantry are killed too easily for pray and spray smg's. Could understand it more with DP's and Maxims that might punch through the walls. Maybe its shear weight of fire finding their marks in window openings.

Redwolf

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Anyone find the smg fire a little too effective? The men being killed are in masonry high rise apartment blocks being fired at from 100m + ranges. In my battle enemy are firing up from ground floors up at 2nd floors upwards...my men must be hanging out the windows! Just seems infantry are killed too easily for pray and spray smg's. Could understand it more with DP's and Maxims that might punch through the walls. Maybe its shear weight of fire finding their marks in window openings.

Has just been discussed on the BFC forums again: heavy buildings offer surprisingly little protection in CMx2.

Artkin

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Ive found that round to be extremely effective for its size. I agree the 7.62 x 25 seems wayyyy too powerful for its size. It kills men in cover from distance extremely fast. I thought I read that it was a very powerful cartridge.. but it aint THAT big.

Redwolf

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Ive found that round to be extremely effective for its size. I agree the 7.62 x 25 seems wayyyy too powerful for its size. It kills men in cover from distance extremely fast. I thought I read that it was a very powerful cartridge.. but it aint THAT big.

ATP

Anti-tank pistol.

Guardsman

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
aargh, my superb Wirbelwind crew finally succumbed to a bold move by the Russkis who steamed a SU-122? down to almost point blank range. I tried to outmanouvre it whilst pummelling it with 20mm AA , hoping to knock outs its optics and tracks etc but, guess what, its built like a tank :sneaky: I nearly got away with escaping it but a nearby soviet squad opened up on the wirbelwind and it changed direction back into the path of the SU, who finally gave it the coup de grace :cry: It was a tense minute of combat!
Yet another wave of red infantry was seen on its way so my days are numbered for whats left of my heroic defenders who have held out until 10mins remaining. Great battle, a Wirbelwind lighting up the front of an apartment block full of Russians is a thing to behold :cool:

ps seems like BFC need to beef up masonry high rise buildings !

Lews Therin

FGM Corporal
FGM MEMBER
Vehicles definitely prove their worth in being able to suppress positions, but damn if there aren't a billion hidey holes for a panzerfaust or panzerschreck to pop out of and splat your T-34

Guardsman

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
i do believe my heroic wirbelwind managed to disable that chunky SU :sneaky: it didnt move last turn and is still stuck at same awkward angle it engaged me at. That would be a great last act for the crew as now the SU cant bring its gun to bear on my last positions. I could be wrong. May still be irreverant as think the red hordes of infantry will still overrun me but boy did we take a lot down.

Gunner

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Good morning and welcome to the end of Week 6.

We have had three more finishes this past week giving us 9 games complete with 5 games to go.
There are only 2 more weeks until the January 30th deadline.
As of right now, and unless there are extenuating circumstances, I plan on calling a hard stop on the 30th and asking for any games remaining to call a ceasefire.

The Russians now have a commanding lead in both games won and total points for the tournament.
Impressively so.

Status and Standings at the end of Week 6:

90SNJsd.jpg

75beHKO.jpg

Uo4UYv0.jpg