Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Saved by a tree, well almost

Yeah, it's one of those things I never understood why they didn't fix.

Maybe trees really did deflect AT shells back in the day, and I'm just ignorant?

At least they finally did cave in and reduce the ability of bushes to block tank shells.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's one of those things I never understood why they didn't fix.

Maybe trees really did deflect AT shells back the day, and I'm just ignorant?

At least they finally did cave in and reduce the ability of bushes to block tank shells.

Don't you ever disrespect the Trees! :D

You're sure about the bushes? I forgot about that and or didn't notice, I'd swear I had a bush stopping some kind of shot the other day.

Don't you ever disrespect the Trees! :D

You're sure about the bushes? I forgot about that and or didn't notice, I'd swear I had a bush stopping some kind of shot the other day.

Yes, it was in some patch notes .. They just said bushes were now "less likely" to stop shells. Can't remember which patch it was...

Has any of you ever seen a wartime photo of a tree struck by an AT shell? I'd like to see what happens in that case..

@Bulletpoint

Forgive the dailymail link:

In other words: 'Trees' munching on war stuff, obviously unimpressed. Perhaps there is more accuracy in this 'feature' than I anticipated? :D

Although I haven't found footage of a solid AP shot (let alone a modern 120mm APFSDS) stuck in a tree. Although hitting the tree would probably not be good for it's penetrating power.

Although hitting the tree would probably not be good for it's penetrating power.

I think that only a 400 year old oak tree would significantly slow down an AP shell.

Instead of shots getting stopped cold when hitting a tree in this game, I'd prefer the shot getting a random chance to get deflected a bit on a random axis and getting a bit of the velocity subtracted (it already subtracts velocity like this when firing AP through a building).

This would mean that targets hiding immediately behind trees would still get hit, but if you fired through a forest to hit a target on the other side, there would be a chance that your shot would go astray.

I think that only a 400 year old oak tree would significantly slow down an AP shell.

Instead of shots getting stopped cold when hitting a tree in this game, I'd prefer the shot getting a random chance to get deflected a bit on a random axis and getting a bit of the velocity subtracted (it already subtracts velocity like this when firing AP through a building).

This would mean that targets hiding immediately behind trees would still get hit, but if you fired through a forest to hit a target on the other side, there would be a chance that your shot would go astray.

Yeah probably even 400 year old oak trees won't do much stopping a modern APFSDS tungsten/DU dart. Although I'm not enough educated in physics to accurately say whether it would have much chance of deflecting it.

I agree that a random deflection / no deflection could be much better compared to the current kryptonite oaks. However what to do with various kind of HE, HEAT, APHE shells, which also come in various calibres. And ATGMs? I sort of understand why they went with a more 'easy' decision, although it can indeed be quite 'funny' depending on which side of the medal one is.

I agree that a random deflection / no deflection could be much better compared to the current kryptonite oaks. However what to do with various kind of HE, HEAT, APHE shells, which also come in various calibres. And ATGMs? I sort of understand why they went with a more 'easy' decision

I'm only playing WW2, so I can't speak for all the modern stuff... But I think for a game that prides itself so much on realism, they should code appropriate behaviours for the different kinds of ammunition.

Or at least just for the different categories.

AP slugs: chance of deflection and loss of velocity.
HE, HEAT, HESH, missiles: chance of detonation.

(in fairness, I think German 75mm AT has explosive filler, so I guess that could be set off by hitting a tree?)

Last edited:
Not all trees are created equal though, plus the chances of something happening to the round should be higher the lower the calibre. And yes many AP rounds where actually APHE, although I'm not sure about the exact fuzes.
Apart from modelling all this stuff which can become quite complicated imo (especially to get right), they'd have to make every tree an object with the necessary properties which allows calculations of this stuff realtime. Not sure if that would be realistic from processing performance and the already 'great' framerate.

Anyway I agree that it would be nice if the trees could be modeled with more fidelity, but I'm not sure how feasible it is. Let's hope CMx3 trees aren't made of kryptonite ;-).

@AVR and I are still at it in Final Blitz. Just had an exciting showdown between my M-10 and his Panther (not the same one that took out the half-track earlier).
The M-10 was using a burning half-track as cover and inching his way up towards a known Panther. Threw a smoke grenade for additional screening. JUST as the smoke cleared my M-10 crew spotted the Panther and cracked off 3 rounds in rapid succession. Possible penetration on round #1 (vital components hit?), a ricochet off the trunnion and #3 went right down his barrel! If I can't get a kill, at least I can take out the main gun and force a bail-out by the crew.
FB 2.JPG

FB 3.JPG

Just got banned from playing when anyone's home, apparently my language usage is upsetting the dogs, not suitable for a 7 year old and pissing of the wife.

We'll played, I'm adding that one to my repertoire.

#3 went right down his barrel! If I can't get a kill, at least I can take out the main gun and force a bail-out by the crew.
First time you see this?
It happens very often. Notice how all hits are on the turret.

The gun is now out of action. It was the hit on the mantlet that caused the bail though.

After an extended artillery barrage plastered 2nd Platoon, acting commander, SFC Greenblatt orders an entire squad to jump into a still warm crater. I think he's under the impression artillery never strikes the same place twice?

shell hole 1.JPG

@AVR and I are still at it in Final Blitz. Just had an exciting showdown between my M-10 and his Panther (not the same one that took out the half-track earlier).
The M-10 was using a burning half-track as cover and inching his way up towards a known Panther. Threw a smoke grenade for additional screening. JUST as the smoke cleared my M-10 crew spotted the Panther and cracked off 3 rounds in rapid succession. Possible penetration on round #1 (vital components hit?), a ricochet off the trunnion and #3 went right down his barrel! If I can't get a kill, at least I can take out the main gun and force a bail-out by the crew.
View attachment 21772

Finally got my revenge on this bastard (the m10, not Monk). Been stalking it for weeks now with Panzerschrecks and another Panther. In the end its a meager Private with a Panzerfaust that bags the trophy.
Love how he didn't even wait to see if the shot landed, just continued on his merry way - just oozing Cool - like a rugby place kicker picking up the tee before turning and running back for the restart just for the crowd to confirm what he already knows - that he slotted it.

SvOW8Eg.png

0WhASNW.png

Back