Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Scenario AAR's and Tactics Discussions

olaf

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
I artied the nearest exit route and used smoke BUT I also made the mistake of marking a building as my first target.

I intended to use all arty rounds from the get go and switch between my TRPs as the battle progressed but as soon as the building collapsed the artillery stopped, because the building is not considered a target by the AI anymore.

So then it took my 9 minutes, even with the elite operators to get the arty going again.

The bmp3s were impossible to spot because they were in the woods and my units could simply not target them at all.

Last edited:

Lethaface

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
My plan wasn't that different in theory from MeatEtrs, but very FAR from it in execution lol. I used arty on a preparatory line strike accross the flank of the nearest exit zone. Smoked the approach with my BMPs. I thought to catch the first approaching units by SSpoom from the village and from there try to get a fighting withdraw.

However I think Sspoom was very competent with his BMPs and anyone opening up with their rifle got 30mm returnfire. Also he rushed BMPs up the back, and I didn't have any blocking force in place. My infantry towards the exit point got mauled too. Basically everywhere my forces got mauled lol.

I did however get Slyfoxski into a MTLB and the BMP-2 on the same flank managed to suppress enemy infantry advancing and bag a BMP. A RPG-26 just missed him, but than he got hit by an RPG-7 round. As all the rest of my forces were getting destroyed, I ordered Slyfoxski in his MTLB to open fire on the RPG trooper while fastmoving towards the exit zone. He shot the RPG gunner and just ducked another RPG fired from further away. The only thing that could harm them was a AGS but it couldn't penetrate it.
Racing towards the exit, 30mm AGS impacting on the side armor, they made it out. So a (bit) of a lucky one for me :)

I felt I should have focused more on defending one side of the village and or try a bit more of ambushing. Also using a heavy/medium arty strike instead of a light one. And I think it would have been good to include the actual exit zone in the arty stonk. Using the TRPs it could be shifted away when infantry needed to get through.

Aurelius

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
It's pointless to use any type of smoke as Ukrainian. It's not of the IR blocking kind and every Russian vehicle in the scenario has thermal imaging devices.

Lethaface

FGM MEMBER
It's pointless to use any type of smoke as Ukrainian. It's not of the IR blocking kind and every Russian vehicle in the scenario has thermal imaging devices.

Also the BMP-2s? I only realized they were BMP-2Ms after I took one out. Still helps a bit against infantry, although indeed I hoped to screen against vehicle overwatch.

Aurelius

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Also the BMP-2s? I only realized they were BMP-2Ms after I took one out. Still helps a bit against infantry, although indeed I hoped to screen against vehicle overwatch.
When you decide on which vehicle we are talking about, I will answer. :LOL:

Raging Al

FGM Lance Corporal
FGM MEMBER
I really enjoyed the challenge of Round two: a fighting withdrawal after finding my forces surrounded. So different to any scenario I’ve played in CM. Probably my favourite so far from both tournaments :)

For me, the SW map corner seemed like the best option for escape as it offered the cover of the buildings. I used the same tactics as @MeatEtr, with my arty covering what I thought would be the mostly likely area that the enemy armour would approach. By setting the TRP’s to cover the woods either side of this escape route, I could set the six gun arty battery to Heavy and Maximum, to start immediately on turn one, and know that I could shift targets between the TRP’s until all the rounds were used up (as long as my FO stayed alive!). The rounds were still falling on the final turn.

I also used my BMP’s to fire off smoke in all directions on turn one , again to cover my withdrawal. I’d learnt in the previous tournament that the BMP-2’s launch their smoke projectiles out to 120m and, although it’s not IR blocking, it was still going to provide an awesome amount of cover against all but BMP-3’s.

I’m pleased to say that, through a series of ambushes and covered hops I managed to exfiltrate all of my forces by the last turn, except 18 dead, 1 x BMP and the two MT-LB’s.

Very challenging and fun to play as the UKR.

Sorry guys, I forget to pop in here after the battles for tac talk/AARs. Thanks @SlySniper for the demo AAR of me. You summed it up well. Kinda kool really! Yeah the plan came together pretty good I think. Like the A-Team! :D

I was hesitant to send the AT infantry/BMP to the woods to ambush his armor approach. Same with the other woods to support/secure the exit, but figured it was a necessary risk, prefer to recon first of course. That turn was glorious with the AT team killing two BMPs. I thought great, time to rearm in the BMP for a possible another push.

Those Elite troops dont miss much, took just 2 shots with RPG in 3rd floor at about 300m range. Sacrificed a sniper team by placing them on that middle island for intel/eyes-on. Worked out pretty good, he ended up with like 10 kills and a BMP.

But yeah after securing the exit early on there was no scramble to exit at all. Just sort of slowly and leisurely stroll out. Even kinda waiting for more enemy to show up to kill.

Another fun scenario, thanks Sly! (y)

JTimo

FGM MEMBER
@JTimo did the two bmp2s in the north east that i killed with area fire have infantry in them?
Sorry for not seeing this earlier. I'm pretty sure they did not. My intent was to clear the way into the village with the superiority of my bmp 3's (I initially thought all my bmp's were '3s, and that they would rule the field (what a joke :ROFLMAO:), but evidently they suffer their poor spotting ability even when facing the Ukie bmp's). So, I dismounted, setup for massive fire power. My initial success with those two early kills reinforced my belief that this was a great plan, and the rest of the game was a disaster. From @SlySniper 's account of The Meat's handling, I'd say your actions were close to that same level of play. You bloodied the nose of my advance, repositioned to cutoff my forces as they at moved to support that exit, and plastered the exit. The mistake of the use of your arty turned out to be a non-factor. Felt like I was two steps behind in everything I tried. Good game!

SlySniper

FGM MEMBER
You have all needed to wait too long before being allowed to comment on round 3.
But the time has finally arrived for any open discussion if you want it for the last round.

Comments I have on this battle,
I saw two Russians, leave their defenses and push forward to have forces in the woods in larger numbers.
This worked for one of the two, more because of the fog of war than it being really better defensive terrain.

It bought time for that one Russian as the Americans wasted time and stopped pushing onto the objective.
For the other Russian, the Americans have more than enough units to continue their push plus enough to engage and kill the Russians, thus leaving the objective pretty defenseless when they arrived. That American player did just that.

I saw one player use shock and aye to try and crush the defense on the hill. He managed to put a lot of fire down in a very short period of time.

For the Americans, getting Javelins positioned early to shoot up the road was a key action, I saw a few Russians loss their tank to that type of play, I saw a few Russians smart enough to move the tank to the flanks before cresting. A safer decision.

For some Americans, if they allowed the Russians to slow them down in the woods, they found they did not have the time to make the assault and complete it.
But most managed to get up and in position with about 10 minutes left to assault the hill.

I saw too many Russians not adjust my default defenses, which the only thing I did that should have been changed, is never run trench lines in a straight line too long. Things like arty can be plotted on such a path, or troops making a end of one can fire down the full length. So thus the reason for the zig zag concepts.

The wire should have been breached with infantry and a smoke screen provided when the attempt was made.
I saw too many Bradleys being pushed forward instead for the breach and that might or might not have been costly to you.
I know for a fact one game was lost as to points because of it. Not only immobilized but destroyed Bradleys from running into the mines in that battle.

Air power was misused or for some not used at all.
This was really interesting as to results in the battles
The Russians for sure could just blow it out of the sky if just sent in.
It seemed to be best to save it and have it hunt the reverse side of the hill during the final assault.
Why, by then the Russians might have lost some key assets. But I think the key trick was plenty of arty, , thus smoke and dirt in the air at the time they arrive and assaulting ground forces at the same time.
having these things prevented Russian units from just being able to focus and target the choppers.

Aurelius

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Well, I am one of the Russians that rushed the infantry forward. I succeeded. Before the battle commenced, I gave a speech to my pixel-troopers. It was a modified Major Dragunitović's speech. It went like this>

Exactly at 11 o'clock enemy is due be crushed by your fierce charge, destroyed by your grenades and bayonets. Soldiers! Heroes! The command has erased our platoon from its records. Our platoon has been sacrificed for the honor of Motherland. Therefore, you no longer have to worry for your lives - they do not exist anymore. So, forward to glory!

My platoon was destroyed, but the higher goal was achieved. The real speech can be found here.

Now for some pictures. Hero units first.

The tank.

PJ9IDD3.png

The Terminator.

WofZvnC.png

The AA unit.

LYO27eH.png

The furthest point reached by enemy motorized units was the forest edge on the Russian left flank, specifically the one that was split by a trail. The Terminator made short work of them.

oilfLxn.png

The road itself.

EpFVeH0.png

Bonus pictures - Humvees destroyed by a shot down drone. I suspect that the UAV controller is lying dead in the crater...

hO9VQxN.png

SUbuIaE.png

sspoom

FGM MEMBER
After losing my first drone within a minute of it arriving I waited till about the six minute mark for a flyover.
I timed the attack choppers to come in the next minute after the drone spotted the tunguskas and plotted artillery
to suppress the russian left rear slope. Then sent one of my bradleys on a flank run with a armor covered arc late as it crested.

The T-90 died the next turn to the attack helicopters
and the Bradley was bracketed by friendly fire the turn after that

Hapless

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Website
www.youtube.com
Ah, so I must be the other advancing Russian!

It almost, almost went so well. From my perspective, the original Russian deployment zone was a total deathtrap: I thought I had a choice between trying to defend forward in the forest, or putting everything behind the reverse slope in the deployment zone and putting all the mines and wire on the crest, leaving the trenches out in plain sight as decoys. This second option was A) not going to work against the drone-artillery combo and B) gave up all the depth- it was a one trick pony, so I went for a picnic in the woods.

This merely prolonged the inevitable as every Russian infantryman had their own Predator experience with the Americans standing in for the titular invisible hunter. Both Tunguskas were taken out by the Apaches by Turn 2 and although the T90 got into this amazing position enfilading the road (inside the minimum range of the TOWs and totally safe from them, I might add), it elected to machinegun individual Humvee gunners instead of putting one 125mm round through them all in one shot.

Inevitably, the US infantry on either side wore down the APS and ERA with AT4s and HEDP grenades until the tank was out of the fight.

CMBS Field Warrior 1.jpg

That said, it did actually get some kills, unlike practically everything else in my force- though these were apparently more to do with knocked out Humvees cooking off when other Humvees were passing.
CMBS Field Warrior 2.jpg

Not that I think it slowed Meatetr down at all :p He certainly didn't make any mistakes that I could really take advantage of and aside from the T90 escapade, it was pretty much a nice walk in the woods for the Americans.

Ishfar

FGM Private
FGM MEMBER
I bungled my air support. I've had situations where apaches got mauled my tunguskas immediately in scenarios so I thought of calling it in on the reverse slope when I was assaulting the front slope. But I had to hasten the assault at the last moment and not call in air support due to chances of friendly fire. I legitimately thought greyfox was winning that one. Only managed to cross the last line on the last turn. Here's a question to the rest. I am seeing people who managed to get troops to the edge of the forest with like a good amount of time remaining. How did you guys do that? I had my troops moving through the forst in short quick with 20s pause between each movement and by the time i reached the edge, they were all fatigued and I could barely push dudes forward for the final assault