Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Scenario AAR's and Tactics Discussions

Accidental Italian

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
@Ishfar I got lucky in that my opponent had used a tripwire force of small scout teams rather than a larger group, so while one team was stuck on them, another would run up and shiv em good.

Plus Id used the vehicles to hammer wherever id had a spot at some point so i could keep my infantry moving most of the time. I didnt use any pauses

AAR
In terms of the scenario, I thought it was a bloody daunting one for the US player to come at. Well defended position with only one route for vehicles to pass up, AAA to eliminate any air threat (including a UAV of mine which fell on one of my bleeding humvees!), a modern MBT to contend with who had a reverse slope position to pop up and down on, and a myriad of machine guns, AGS-30s and a mortar section to boot (along with some toe poppers!). I genuinely thought "right, youre gonna lose this, so just take each turn as it comes". And while I obviously had the use of Javellins and TOW missiles, they can only hit what they can see at the end of the day, while the T-90 could pop up and down as it wanted on the reverse slope and play merry hell with my troops.

What then surprised me, was that as I finally trudged my way through the forest, to set up my base of fire to prepare for an assault (taking sporadic contact from the T-90), was that the return fire I received from the infantry was relatively light. It turned out that my opponent had left the majority of his infantry force on the reverse slope, in what would have been a great defensive position had I charged over the hill. Unfortunately for him, he chose to move his men from the reverse, to the trenches on the main slope at the same moment that my prep bombardment of mortars hit him, and the 3 Bradleys rocked up. Massed fire from the Bradleys and the (rather peeved after taking ABHE fire) men of 2nd Platoon cut his left flank to ribbons, while 82mm mortar fire hammered the right.

In what I believe was an attempt to capitalise on the Armour and Armament of the T-90, my opponent moved it into a fire position on the road at the top of the hill to try and break my centre. However, Mr and Mrs TOW made short work of the Ruskies, with the T-90 taking two TOWS in short order while skipping a shell over my APC's turret. The Tunguskas got it even worse, getting shredded by the cannons after moving up to reinforce the now destroyed T-90, Mr Bushmaster punched many holes into the offending vehicles, one of which got a burst of fire off (in what was a very squeaky bum moment).

Following this, I charged my Bradleys forward, using them to hammer the remaining Russians in the town (while taking a considerable amount of AGS-30 fire to the optics I must admit). I believe, in the end I had all but annihilated the defenders, with only a couple left.

Thoughts on the Wider Scenario
This account however, could have been completely different, I truly believe that the advantage was in the Russians favour, and that the only thing that made it in mine was the eventually inclusion of the Bradley platoon, showing once again how easily games can be won simply with the USAs tech advantage (this is even more clear in the next game I'd say but hush hush for now). In my mind the Key terrain for this battle is not the ridge, or the forest, but the first 400m stretch of road prior to it opening up into the clearing. This is because at this point it was the only path the vehicles could take, and accurate fire onto this position or an early charge (as seen in @Hapless AAR above) of the T-90 would have annihilated the US Player. There is no obvious way that an unsupported infantry company could have taken that hill without severe casualties (even if the T-90 was out of action).

It was however, quite interesting to have Apaches that in this case were Chocolate Teapots if the Russians kept the Tunguskas on the reverse side of the hill. With no way to counter them other than, getting a lucky hit with arty, the Apaches doing it, or taking the hill therefore negating the need for the Apaches, those Tunguska's would have been bloody unstoppable!

To my opponent @domfluff you gave a spirited defence sir, and the brave charge of your men back to the trenches gave me reminders of Easy Company's action at the Heteren Crossroads in Holland. I truly think that you did have me, and that I was fortunate to have the Bradleys turn up when I did, otherwise I was not winning that one.

To @SlySniper thankyou for another interesting scenario that took me a good while to try and come up with any kind of plan for, and had me sweating for the longest time. While I have said multiple times about the power of the Bradleys in this game, I think that this scenario did have a good balance in that Russians had Superior Early Firepower and a Good Position, while Americans Had Superior Numbers and Better Tech to Work with. I'm sure it took a while to figure out how best to balance this game so fair play to you mate, looking forward to seeing round 5.

SlySniper

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Acc Italian : your comments hit the Mark dead center.

When creating this battle, I wanted the American sweating, you are correct in every aspect . The Russian player has the counter for everything the Americans have and if the US player losses the desire to push the attack, he will have no chance to win. When the Bradley enters, (which the US player does not know for sure that will happen or when) then the battle is all theirs. It is amazing how easy it swings the tide. Thus the only balance I have at that point is limiting the time the player gets to use those units.

Now the end results show the game in the US favor 12-3 as to finial results.
But you are correct, that results would have been all Russian likely if the Bradleys are not added.

And think about it, they enter at the 10 minute mark, it takes a few turns to get them engaged and by the end of the 10 minutes, it came down to the last turn as to if they are over running the whole map or needing one or two more minutes.

I only recall one player where they were shut down because he lost two to mines and I still think he had the map controlled and the Russians pretty much eliminated.

Accidental Italian

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
The bit about them taking turns to get engaged, I was sweating the entire time they were driving up going "what if they get bogged, what if he pushes that hill again", knowing the alternative would be abit more....sticky

Hapless

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Website
www.youtube.com
This is really interesting, because I looked at the game from the Russian perspective and pretty much instantly thought: this is a terrible defensive position, I have next to no combat power, the US have this game hands down.

Ishfar

FGM Private
FGM MEMBER
Oh i lost two humvess to one of my drones crashing. i am still not sure how a 2m drone landing next to my humvees cooks both of them. i don't think it's modelled at all. from my perspective it looked like an arty mission.
@Accidental Italian

1615902188452.png

SlySniper

FGM MEMBER
For the Russian player, as in almost any defensive game, it always comes down to time. When outnumbered , you will pretty much always lose if the opponent is given enough time.

I always play defense with the mind set of how to slow the attacker down, and if I do not see it impacting time enough to influence the game, I then start to focus on is there a way of getting my limited forces to somehow engage and have a temporary period where we are the superior force.

I don't think that would be the order of my mind set in real life, but in game play that is my priority a large part of the time.

The Russian players that did well in this battle were those that did things to slow the Americans down or the ones that were lucky that the American player was slow in how he used his advantages.

No Russian player was going to end this match with much left on the map

SlySniper

FGM MEMBER
Oh i lost two humvess to one of my drones crashing. i am still not sure how a 2m drone landing next to my humvees cooks both of them. i don't think it's modelled at all. from my perspective it looked like an arty mission.
@Accidental Italian

View attachment 22826

If it makes you feel any better, this was a weird event that happened in many of the games.

The shot down unit would crash in the same spot in many battles, which happened to be a set up zone as to allow the US player to select which units went up the road when.

So needless to say, there was plenty of US players that suffered this exact same event.

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Nice AARs!

My plan was quite simple. Using the scout platoon and TRPs to get info about the enemy and mortar the infantry, while the T-90 pops up and down to deny the road. Tunguska to standby for AA or plug gaps in fire support where I was threatened. I had a couple of MGs spread around the trenches and the snipers and AGS on other parts of the hill, with the rest of the infantry hiding behind the slope. I didn't really think I'd get much advantage of trying to redo the trenches as the crest of the hill is an easy target anyway. But it was too good to give it away easy, so I tried to keep a balance between being able to put out fires versus vulnerability to arty. The reinforcing platoon was to hide and survive the artillery coming at the trenches / crest, so they could man the trenches while the enemy pushed forward last minute, if needed covered with some smoke from T-90.

While my scouts did their job of providing info (most important one was a single man remaining in a dry riverbed ditch on my left), the spotting advantage in the woods was with the US snipers. Quite some troops hiding behind bushes on a covered arc, which I thought were still safe, were spotted and sniped. The T-90 dueled with TOW humvees and took some out, but also relied on APS (and reversing in time). So I had it moved around the flanks here and there a bit to do some area fire on infantry as well.
The Tunguska's took out a drone early on, but as I didn't hear any helicopters or jets I used them on some area fire duties as well. I got got lucky with one area firing along the road from a decent position, in what must have been quite frustrating for my opponent. It got immobilized by TOW-2B, both EFPs missing (one each side) probably due to the Tunguska reversing last moment, forcing the missile to have to turn/rotate. Anyway as it was immobilized I had it utilize most of it's HE rounds to good effect.
Anyway all in all the firepower of 125mm ABE, mortars, Tunguska made all infantry advance costly and the few that got through were finished off by snipers, MGs and AGS. Meanwhile I took some casualties from airburst artillery, but not too much as there weren't that much man in the trenches.

With a couple of min left, I felt the defense was going quite well but my lone remaining scout got some IFV sound contacts. So I planned to snipe them with the T-90 but both sides missed shots. A Bradley finally got my immobilized Tunguska. With only a couple of min left I tried to lure the Bradleys closer in a position more easy to fire upon, by having the T-90 are fire more infantry out of reach of the Bradleys. This was probably a good idea because in the last minutes I was able to take out 2 Bradleys with the T-90 on separate shoot&scoots, while the third moved over the first line just out of view of an RPG team lying in wait/ambush to protect against that.

I was surprised how much assets my opponent had still left in the back area after the game finished, no helicopters came into play.

With a bit less luck I could have lost my T-90 against those TOWs Humvees early and or Bradleys, which would have made my defense problematic.

Anyway the interesting screenshot of the TOW-2B 'missing' my Tunguska:

Combat Mission Black Sea Screenshot 2021.02.10 - 21.45.55.88.png

Combat Mission Black Sea Screenshot 2021.02.10 - 21.46.05.94.png

And some amateur footage of it happening (if you look good can see missile at around :17). After getting immobilized he Tunguska casually continued to area fire some other position only then to proceed to blow up the offending TOW Humvee. Thought of a particular song after watching that replay :p

I felt sorry for @Hohenfels as it was veryyy lucky for my Tunguska, might even have helped me stopping his advance since it was in a difficult to get position but could area fire along the road; having it immobilized forced me to use up all its ammo :).

Thought this match was a real nailbiter, with both sides facing difficulties. Although I guess that the US player with stomach for casualties and a good timed plan has the assets to overwhelm the defenses.

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
So main lesson for me was not to fight US infantry in forest with Russian infantry (not that I really tried, but it was obvious nonetheless). Shooting the forest works though :).
Another lesson was that don't move to fast after an enemy FFE mortar barrage seems to have finished. They might have reached max rate of fire and will continue to put down rounds in a much slower pace. That happened to me and caused quite some casualties among my 'fresh' platoon which I planned to have sit out the artillery which was due to come. Luckily it didn't really matter anymore.

Gladi

FGM New Member
FGM MEMBER
The wire should have been breached with infantry and a smoke screen provided when the attempt was made.
I saw too many Bradleys being pushed forward instead for the breach and that might or might not have been costly to you.
I know for a fact one game was lost as to points because of it. Not only immobilized but destroyed Bradleys from running into the mines in that battle.
Soooooo yeah I think I kinda know who you talk about :) I don't want to sound like Olaf didnt deserve the points (he put up heck of a defence), But as I remeber it definatly one bradley was lost more due to TAcAI pathfinig betraying me - I had set a single 'FAST' command beyond the breach my engineers created in the barbwire, but the bradley chose to LEEROY JENKINS through the main opening and ended up destroyed by the mines. In hindsight I should have set multiple waypoints and guide it through the breach. Still my fault though, as I'm a CMx2 vet and I'm familiar with all of the TACAI's antics especially in terms of pathfinding...

The second bradly was totaly me being stupid, I underestimated the number of mines in the main entrance.
Anyway great match.

SlySniper

FGM MEMBER
Soooooo yeah I think I kinda know who you talk about :) I don't want to sound like Olaf didnt deserve the points (he put up heck of a defence), But as I remeber it definatly one bradley was lost more due to TAcAI pathfinig betraying me - I had set a single 'FAST' command beyond the breach my engineers created in the barbwire, but the bradley chose to LEEROY JENKINS through the main opening and ended up destroyed by the mines. In hindsight I should have set multiple waypoints and guide it through the breach. Still my fault though, as I'm a CMx2 vet and I'm familiar with all of the TACAI's antics especially in terms of pathfinding...

The second bradly was totaly me being stupid, I underestimated the number of mines in the main entrance.
Anyway great match.

oh, that hurts, the AI overriding the path.

I had it do it to some of my infantry, they also made a run through the mine field.

Like you said, learning to put the path command down in a manor that helps stop the AI from over riding your desires is a must.

Ishfar

FGM Private
FGM MEMBER
I am trying to remember, did anyone take out a tank with the Tows, I know the Javelins nailed a few, But I do not recall one tow kill.
I don't think there was enough room for the tows to operate to be honest. i got mine using a jav detachment

Raging Al

FGM Lance Corporal
FGM MEMBER
I managed to get a single TOW shot off against the T90 from 500+ mtrs down the road. Unfortunately it was intercepted by the tanks APS and I didn’t get another TOW opportunity. @fivefivesix had his tank popping up from various points along the ridge for shoot and scoot like whack-a-mole. Had to wait until my infantry reached the tree line opposite before a squad took him out with multiple AT4’s.

SlySniper

FGM MEMBER
Yes, the Tows were almost impossible to use, but thus the fun for putting them in there, it demonstrates some of their weaknesses for sure.
I do remember a few firing, I just don't remember any kills

JTimo

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
In my game vs. @Hilts, my initial plan was to get multiple AT assets (TOWs and Javs) in keyhole positions with LOS to the slope directly to the front of the main road. To this end I used a combination of smoke and arty, against the far ridge, to mask their initial moves so they could safely get into keyhole positions. A quick test gave me an estimate that I could walk my infantry through the wood and get to the jump off line in about 20 mins. Hilts cooperated with a platoon of infantry spread thinly across the woods, so the underbrush was the main resistance. Early on Hilts popped his tank up took a shot down the road, but it hit a tree causing minor wounds to a few troopers in a different teams, but he quickly backed off. He tried this twice more in different spots, but by the third time I was ready for him, and three TOWs made early work of him, thus my vehicle movement became much easier. I never did see his Tanguskas during this phase of the engagement.

My infantry approached the jump-off line along the two flank roads. Two platoons on my left, and one on my right. As they approached there jump-off positions enemy infantry in the two flanking trenches opened up and fire fights ensued with my Americans supported by their MG, GL and TOW Humvees. Having the greater firepower, I was able to suppress the enemy fire to the point where I could send scouts across. They got to the far slope with no problem, and were soon reinforced making sure to follow the same safe path. On my left I was able to breech the wire with charges from an engineer unit, but for some reason they would do that on the right, and eventually, I just sent a Bradley through the wire.

On each flank my troops assaulted the trenches backed by the Bradleys and the MG Humvees. Once they reached the trenches, his Tanguskas appeared way back by the far map edge. On my left a Brad spotted one and riddled it with 25mm cannon fire. The Tanguska on my right managed to take out a Humvee that crested the hill, but the Humvee was followed by a Brad and that pretty much ended the enemy resistance. In both cases, the Tanguskas acted as if they were blind. The Brads simply moved up, made the spot, fired a burst, and that was that.

For the U.S. player, the tough part of this game was the time stress. The woods were heavy with underbrush, and the troops had to be given strict walk commands, with as few waypoints as possible, to insure they wouldn't tire, and they wouldn't spend unnecessary time assembling at each way point. At the same time, long way points near the edge of the woods, would have them moving out to the open where they'd be exposed. In the end though, patience paid off with just enough time to conduct a reasonable assault and still get to the final touch lines.

I've played a few games recently where I defended against a dominant attacking force that had to navigate through heavy woods with narrow roads. One was against @SlySniper in a tournament we both took part in just before he started his FW series. In those games the defender has to buy time by slowing the attacker as deep into the woods as possible, and lay a few ambushes by taking advantage of the twists and turns of the narrow roads. The fun part of being the defender in this situation is to try and make hit-and-run skirmishes, while luring the attacker into an ambush usually at some choke point were a few vehicle kills could clog the road, and slow the attacker even more.
Good fun :D!