Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Scenario AAR's and Tactics Discussions

Raging Al

FGM Lance Corporal
FGM MEMBER
You’re all just rubbing it in!

In my battle with @Hilts, he took me by surprise with an early charge down the main road and got five Strykers into the town, before I KO’d one with an AT-14, which effectively won him the game. I had a TRP placed on the land bridge, but left it 5 minutes too late before targeting it as I was too busy chucking smoke on the left side of the map to cover my Tigrs which were heading down the fields on my left behind the cover of the trees. I didn’t dare use them down the main road as they are no more than armoured jeeps, but they moved at snails pace down the route I chose! Clearly not off-roaders . So by the time they got within reach of the town @Hilts already had his five Strykers in place and very well hidden/sited - He effectively had me pinned down with the few HMG’s & AGL and then called arty on my pinned position!

My khriz’s managed one spot/shot between them in the whole game and that went straight through and out the other side of a Stryker as it reversed! I couldn’t keep them in one place because of Hilts’ precision strikes (assuming he had drones roaming overhead) and the one turn I did keep a Khriz in place to try to get a spot, it got KO’d with a TOW from an ATGM Stryker that I failed to spot the whole game. I thought the Khriz’s were meant to be lethal at distance because of their spotting ability! I think, to be fair, Hilts kept the rest of his Strykers hidden after he’d successfully rushed the town VP.

I kept my BTR’s back initially to pop smoke for the Kriz’s (I’d read that tactic in one of @SlySniper’s BF forum posts) but belatedly threw them in to the town assault when my Tigr recon teams were pinned down. I thought that, by timing their introduction into the town battle at the same time as my arty shifted to hitting the town then it would upset the Strykers optics/spotting, but the BTR’s couldn’t spot anything while Hilts’ 12.7mm Strykers punched holes in them for fun.

Hindsight - I should have hit the land-bridge with arty from the start and blocked it off. I had enough 155 rounds to practically last the whole game, but I thought he’d have TOW or 105’s picking my Tigr’s off from a distance, hence the decision for smoke at the start. The victory came down to who dares wins and Hilts took that chance. Fair play, mate

SlySniper

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
In most battles it did come down to who was willing to rush down the road and how they did it.

So somewhat a typical meeting engagement in that who managed to get to the main objective first had a good chance of winning.

But I saw a few Russians get there first, but then get cleared off of it because they lacked enough force, normally just the recon units.

The best battle was between Aurelius and Canadian Cat, they both rushed down the road very aggressively and I was interested in how that battle played and how both were able to keep pushing, even though they both were taking losses for using the road.

They had a intense battle in town and it was very close. Canadian cat just did not have the man power and once he lost too many men , he was facing the much larger US force that just overwhelmed him. Aurelius did a excellent job of clearing him out of the village.

I did feel bad for Cat, I am sure in almost any other battle I saw, he would have won the match, since he had managed to get a majority of his Russian forces forward so quickly. Aurelius just seemed to be perfect opponent to stop what Cat had tried.

Aurelius

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
I was actually surprised by @Canadian Cat move through the middle. I fully expected him to go on my right, his left, because there was cover there or at least, enough cover to allow him to move to the village.

I personally decided to go down the main road with two platoons + scout platoon, move the third to the wooded area on my right flank (this platoon was augmented by TOW and spotters). On my left, I decided to form some sort of base of fire and neutralize his base of fire, which I fully expected to be in the wood line - it actually was. Credit to my opponent for the placement of the Khrizantema and Kornet team.

The movement was concealed by smoke missions. Then I saw Khrizantema and remembered they were radio guided... Goodbye to the platoon command, one squad and two Strykers...

While my main force was moving down the road, I saw some Tigrs advancing down the middle. It was the first alarm for me. They entered the village, but were cut off from everyone else and easy pickings. It is at that point I realized that the template for the enemy force was Recon Company (New).

Then, to my amazement, the whole of the enemy force started appearing in the middle. Tigrs and BTR 82As. By this moment I was in it's all or nothing mode. I must destroy his main force before they reach the recce platoon in the village.

On my left, I finally caught a lucky break - my MGSs, though slow to move across the farmland, spotted and annihilated one platoon in Tigrs, while they were moving off road. The progress on the left was really slow, one Humvee with Javelins got immobilized, so the guys had to run some 600 meters to be combat effective (they were firing from the maximum range -2500 meters).

So, I had a platoon of Russian recce troop moving off road and getting vaporized and four BTRs moving down the road. I ordered everything on the road to fire on those BTRs and I think it caused some confusion. My opponent was hesitant to move down the road with them. He could have vaporized the entire column without much trouble. Instead, he wavered and I dismounted the Javelins. The first one missed - because it wouldn't be fun otherwise. Still, there was a really cool moment where two Javelins fired and destroyed their targets almost simultaneously.

The Javelin action made my opponent move the remaining BTRs to my right, off the road. They approached the village, but were not really combat effective. I hunted them down and opened the village for my troops (or better, what remained of my troops).

While his BTRs were moving off road, his artillery started raining down on the bridge. It was the single most devastating artillery barrage I endured in the entirety of my H2H history. My force was halved, lots of casualties. I barely scraped a platoon of troops for village clearing.

In the end, I destroyed all of his vehicles, even the three UAVs. It was a really hard battle.

What I concluded - Javelins are really slow. Moving at 100 m/s. The Khrizantema, meanwhile was moving at 600 m/s. Five seconds from one end of the map to the other.

Last edited:

Raging Al

FGM Lance Corporal
FGM MEMBER
I’m interested to know from Russian players how they got the best out of their Khriz units? Any screenshots/video showing their positions and successful spotting/shots would be great

Raging Al

FGM Lance Corporal
FGM MEMBER
Thanks, @olaf. I think I had similar positions. Oh well! Guess my oppo, @Hilts, was just too good at keeping his Strykers out of site after losing one in his initial charge down the road.

I was actually surprised by @Canadian Cat move through the middle. I fully expected him to go on my right, his left, because there was cover there or at least, enough cover to allow him to move to the village.
Good summary. I didn't think I could get away with two rushes down the middle. Given sneaking up on the left totally failed I should have tried. Plus if I had put my artillery on maximum you might not have been able to get enough across to push me off the objectives.

It was a great match. I'm still kicking my self for the artillery mistake.

Aurelius

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Plus if I had put my artillery on maximum you might not have been able to get enough across to push me off the objectives.
Everything that pushed in the end of the battle was outside the beaten zone. I had a platoon in "reserve". You smacked it with artillery and sniped a couple of vehicles with Kornet.

If I was Russian side in the battle, I would select a point on the road and bombard it ( sort of runway cratering). It would create an obstacle, and either slow down the vehicles or force the of the road.

SlySniper

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Now that the final scores are in, you can see that as far as for tournament results. Every US soldier killed was a major factor as to if you won or loss.

I am not sure what that number is. But Pvt Joe and Monkey king has the answer for that