FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
1 game.
Email
alandlipscombe@me.com
From the USMC side: my approach appears to have been a bit different. I didn’t want to engage any BMPs from range as I worried overwatching guns would chew up my AT assets. I allowed the enemy over the bridge freely and then engaged in ambushes from keyhole positions. I planned out paths of retreat and deployed in buildings in which I knew I’d be able to safely withdraw from and move to different firing positions. If a team was engaged one turn, they were moving the next turn. I also avoided using 2nd and 3rd floors of buildings and structures that were directly exposed to enemy BMPs. My opponent used an abundance of area fire on many of the structures I had deliberately avoided, as well as structures I had fled the previous turn. Like others did, I stacked teams with ammo and AT assets from the vehicles.

I managed to take out several BMPs and cause casualties using this method, unfortunately my grenade launcher team never fired a shot ... not sure if they were poorly positioned at the outset or if my opponent just didn’t happen to wander into their keyhole.
I lost one HMMWV (dismounted) when my opponent rushed the walled complex with BMPs as I was attempting to withdraw from the position ... one of those decisions you realize in hindsight you’ve made a turn too late. Most of my casualties came in the last few minutes when I let a sniper team engage targets and a BMP caught sight of them.
@FiveFiveSix’s hit and run defence was perfect. Whenever I got an actual confirmed spot on any of his units it was usually only fleeting and just before my spotting team died!! I could only set up area fires for the following turns, by which time he’d bugged out.

I thought I’d done a good job of house-to-house fighting my way through to the secondary objective, but didn’t find any enemy casualties along the way! My only real luck came towards the end when I realised I could take down the wall of the big complex on my left with my AA technical and send a couple of my BMP’s through that gap which found an unmanned (luckily) HMMWV. It also gave my BMP a chance to spot one of the Marine teams and score three of my infantry casualties.

When the end came I was amazed to see how many Marine teams were still intact and that my area firing had caused such little damage, but that’s a credit to @fivefivesix defence.

Great little scenario. I’ve not played CM for over five years, and my first go at CMSF2. And I learnt some great lessons.

Lethaface

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
I sent the Jeep and a technical across at high speed followed by 2 bmps.
The second bmp took .50 cal fire and lost the driver.
I think the gunner popped smoke. I kept a bmp and technical on the far side overwatching while everything else but the AT launchers rushed across the bridge.
I did make a bad mistake in not giving my boys rpgs and had to send them back to the BMPs to up arm.
Then I concentrated infantry towards the objective while having the vehicles cover the main road and the far right. Lots of suppressing fire from the BMPs .
And a last few turn humvee hunt by them problably put me over the edge.
The marine grenade launcher gave me fits and I assume the .50 sniper killed crewmen on atleast one if not two BMPs.
I had most of my force across the River in about 4 minutes. (Disclaimer this is from memory without looking back at files) I had no Idea of the smoke capability of the BMPs.
Were there RPG launchers in the BMPs? I thought only RPG rounds, no launchers available. I did miss the good ol RPG! could have been helpful in the street fighting!

Aurelius

FGM New Member
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Played as USMC against @sspoom . Great game, am grateful that my first game on the forum was against a veteran, good player. Quite a challenge.

My initial plan was to fall back and form a line on the first street, while using .50 cal anti materiel rifle and GL to disrupt the movement of the Syrians. Anti materiel rifle managed to hit two BMP 2's, both penetrated, one was hit more than the other. Grenade launcher hit one BMP 2 that formed a base of fire for my oppo. It got immobilized. .50 cal and GL were relocated. My marines, on the other hand... Couldn't hit targets across the streets! :LOL: But they managed to kill a BMP 2 gunner that was reloading the Konkurs ATGM from 240 meters with an M16!

After that initial failure, I had a casualty and decided to pull back partially to the objective, in an attempt to create kill zones there. Two teams were moved back, while another team and engineers stood their ground. My idea was to force my opponent to slow down and maybe split his forces. They were exposed to a lot of fire and decided to retreat. It was not in favorable direction, but it could have gone worse. While they were retreating, my .50 cal team was destroyed - I didn't expect that engagement and in hindsight, should have moved them or give them 20 second pause and pull them back.

From their new positions, Marines managed to destroy a BMP 2 with their LAW's. Then they were moved into that building with an outer wall. My oppo breached the wall, his sappers were destroyed in turn. Another full team of Syrians recon troopers was destroyed before my guys decided to run across the street from the objective.

While those firefights were being conducted, my GL team was being relocated to the two story building across the objective. From that position they destroyed a BRDM 2 and hit another BMP 2, that was later dismounted. The rest of their ammo they used to silence any AK fire. It later turned out they were firing on platoon HQ unit, killing everyone expect the commander.

I lost both of my Humvee's. I was one of the four that decided that Open up is a good idea.... There was another mistake I made and wasted 4 LAW's on an immobilized BMP 2 that was in partial hull down. Decided against using target arcs as I feared the troopers will then decide to move around the building and choose stupid positions.

All in all, I managed to destroy one BMP 2 and one BRDM 2. One BMP 2 was immobilized, down to a single crew member, the other one was dismounted, only the driver-mechanic survived and yet another one was penetrated 3 times, the gunner was killed and the driver was in panic. The ZSU-23-2 technical was rendered combat ineffective (if you kill one of the guys on the AAMG, the rest can't use said AAMG). That SPG-9 technical made me sad and destroyed my .50 cal Humvee, even though that Humvee was firing on it and scoring penetrating hits.

Whenever he could, my opponent formed long lines with quite a number of AK's firing on my positions. Whenever I could, I ambushed his forces in close quarters. I think we managed to annihilate each others forces.

The BMP 2 fire was ineffective throughout the length of the battle. It was hitting empty buildings and buildings my troops were in the previous turn. A lot of time, the BMP 2 was firing it's Konkurs ATGMs. In order to get your BMP 2's to fire its cannon you need to issue a target light command. I only had real casualties from BMP 2's and it was in the last turn when it killed a single Marine and then hunted down my GL Humvee. It used the 30 mm cannon that time! :)

There seems to be some confusion regarding the Syrian recon TOE. They have only one RPG 7 launcher and it is the platoon HQ unit.

Lethaface

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Ok, for the Syrian side, what do you think works better for a opening move.

Smoke and Rush.

lay a massive base of fire first, then rush (smoke or no smoke? )

Or my favorite, which no one used. (smoke half the front to cut it off from the action temp. and focus all my firepower on the half that is clear, then rush.)
I would opt for smoke & base of fire, then rush. In hindsight your favorite seems perhaps the best option.

When I was making my plans, I was taking into account for Javelins, at least some Humvee's, who know might even be a Bradley? So, the base of fire for the first few turns could only be short shoot and scoot in my opinion, until a more clear picture of the enemy was known.

Lethaface

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Played as USMC against @sspoom . Great game, am grateful that my first game on the forum was against a veteran, good player. Quite a challenge.

My initial plan was to fall back and form a line on the first street, while using .50 cal anti materiel rifle and GL to disrupt the movement of the Syrians. Anti materiel rifle managed to hit two BMP 2's, both penetrated, one was hit more than the other. Grenade launcher hit one BMP 2 that formed a base of fire for my oppo. It got immobilized. .50 cal and GL were relocated. My marines, on the other hand... Couldn't hit targets across the streets! :LOL: But they managed to kill a BMP 2 gunner that was reloading the Konkurs ATGM from 240 meters with an M16!

After that initial failure, I had a casualty and decided to pull back partially to the objective, in an attempt to create kill zones there. Two teams were moved back, while another team and engineers stood their ground. My idea was to force my opponent to slow down and maybe split his forces. They were exposed to a lot of fire and decided to retreat. It was not in favorable direction, but it could have gone worse. While they were retreating, my .50 cal team was destroyed - I didn't expect that engagement and in hindsight, should have moved them or give them 20 second pause and pull them back.

From their new positions, Marines managed to destroy a BMP 2 with their LAW's. Then they were moved into that building with an outer wall. My oppo breached the wall, his sappers were destroyed in turn. Another full team of Syrians recon troopers was destroyed before my guys decided to run across the street from the objective.

While those firefights were being conducted, my GL team was being relocated to the two story building across the objective. From that position they destroyed a BRDM 2 and hit another BMP 2, that was later dismounted. The rest of their ammo they used to silence any AK fire. It later turned out they were firing on platoon HQ unit, killing everyone expect the commander.

I lost both of my Humvee's. I was one of the four that decided that Open up is a good idea.... There was another mistake I made and wasted 4 LAW's on an immobilized BMP 2 that was in partial hull down. Decided against using target arcs as I feared the troopers will then decide to move around the building and choose stupid positions.

All in all, I managed to destroy one BMP 2 and one BRDM 2. One BMP 2 was immobilized, down to a single crew member, the other one was dismounted, only the driver-mechanic survived and yet another one was penetrated 3 times, the gunner was killed and the driver was in panic. The ZSU-23-2 technical was rendered combat ineffective (if you kill one of the guys on the AAMG, the rest can't use said AAMG). That SPG-9 technical made me sad and destroyed my .50 cal Humvee, even though that Humvee was firing on it and scoring penetrating hits.

Whenever he could, my opponent formed long lines with quite a number of AK's firing on my positions. Whenever I could, I ambushed his forces in close quarters. I think we managed to annihilate each others forces.

The BMP 2 fire was ineffective throughout the length of the battle. It was hitting empty buildings and buildings my troops were in the previous turn. A lot of time, the BMP 2 was firing it's Konkurs ATGMs. In order to get your BMP 2's to fire its cannon you need to issue a target light command. I only had real casualties from BMP 2's and it was in the last turn when it killed a single Marine and then hunted down my GL Humvee. It used the 30 mm cannon that time! :)

There seems to be some confusion regarding the Syrian recon TOE. They have only one RPG 7 launcher and it is the platoon HQ unit.
Nice AAR. Missed that RPG, only noticed a SVD in Platoon HQ. And I thought I had checked over my troops quite a few times.

Aurelius

FGM New Member
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Hmm, if there is a guy carrying AKS 74U and the unit is packing 5,45x39 then he is the one with the RPG 7. So far, I have only seen one of those trucks carrying a spare RPG 7 launchers (can't recall whether it was Ural or Zil)

Aurelius

FGM New Member
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Just checked, there are no RPG's in any Recon company for Syrians. Sorry about that everyone.

As far as spare RPG 7 launchers are concerned, they can be found on Zil trucks.

Lethaface

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Just checked, there are no RPG's in any Recon company for Syrians. Sorry about that everyone.

As far as spare RPG 7 launchers are concerned, they can be found on Zil trucks.
Cheers for that, was just about to go look in the game myself.
I've made a habit of always taking AT weapons from any transports during setup (sometimes leaving a few rounds, if squads have enough; but all launchers are distributed during setup). Have learned that one the hard way lol. For Syrians, also take PKM rounds because 100rnd is nothing when your in a serious firefight.

sspoom

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
Silly me I sent my guys back to get ammo they couldn’t use. My knowledge of weapons in the modern games is sorely lacking:oops:

JTimo

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
When I was making my plans, I was taking into account for Javelins, at least some Humvee's, who know might even be a Bradley? So, the base of fire for the first few turns could only be short shoot and scoot in my opinion, until a more clear picture of the enemy was known.
Yes, you had to expect Javs, and with the Syrians you have to expect RPGs although this was more fun without them. I didn’t expect a Brad, but I did expect 4 Humvees.

Smoke was the only sure way to get across the open. A dead vehicle on the bridge would have ended the game immediately.

MeatEtr

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
wings76@windstream.net
Yeah like most of you, I too was a bit out of my comfort zone in the modern era! Im used to WWII era but love the big change of pace in modern. Not to mention the jacked up lethality of pretty much everything. Good times! (y)

From the Syrian attackers side: yeah I was not gonna have a clusterf*ck at the bridge. So decided to smoke and rush! Kept a BMP, pickups, and AT launchers on overwatch. This didn't last long as I realized @Denis the Menace chose the hide/ambush posture. Anything sitting back was a waste of resources. Fired a few rockets but quickly pushed my AT teams into an infantry role.

Here's the basic layout or attack plan. I call that initial or main push into town the "Make or Break" moment because I didn't really have the time to wait for the smoke to clear and shell the walls and buildings. So was hoping he didn't have strong forces here so my infantry can overwhelm him without any support. It worked! If it hadnt then I would of been forced to pull back and shell the area. Perhaps delaying long enough to change things! Once I gained this critical foothold, it was just a matter of time. Was able to get a few important LOS from my BMPs to pin/kill his troops.

Risky attack to bag his Hummers but the clock is the enemy for attackers. The timing of my pickups + BMP vs his Hummers worked out better than expected. Destroyed them in a single min. But paid the price the very next turn by getting ambushed by a hidden Scout team. They destroyed both pickups and a BMP. Perhaps the single best turn by the Marine players. Tip of the hat to you @Denis the Menace

Here's our AAR:

I think a key part for the Syrians is managing the clock. I often gave multiple targets to my BMPs per min. They don't need direct LOS to a building, just area fire near it is enough to destroy the buildings.

Also worth noting is that BMPs apparently refuse to drive over the tiny walls. Had to destroy it to drive through.

Great scenario @SlySniper I love these little Byte battles! (y)

Gnarly

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Hey @SlySniper could you post a screeny of the map in advance of the round 2 discussions/post mortems, so those of us without SF2 can see what the scenario looks like? Avid BS player, but can't justify the expense of another CM title atm

Even better if it shows the forces at play? Obviously not posting till the round is (almost?) over.

TIA

Stafford

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
Yeah like most of you, I too was a bit out of my comfort zone in the modern era! Im used to WWII era but love the big change of pace in modern. Not to mention the jacked up lethality of pretty much everything. Good times! (y)
Having watched some of @Hapless' AARs over on his channel recently I was struck by just how quickly things happen in modern combat compared to the WWII gameplay I'm used to. Tank reaction times are frighteningly quick!

Gnarly

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Having watched some of @Hapless' AARs over on his channel recently I was struck by just how quickly things happen in modern combat compared to the WWII gameplay I'm used to. Tank reaction times are frighteningly quick!
And most things go boom after just one hit.....

Stafford

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
That too! and usually the first shot will do it... if you're NATO of course. :2draw:

SlySniper

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Hey @SlySniper could you post a screeny of the map in advance of the round 2 discussions/post mortems, so those of us without SF2 can see what the scenario looks like? Avid BS player, but can't justify the expense of another CM title atm

Even better if it shows the forces at play? Obviously not posting till the round is (almost?) over.

TIA
Great request, For those not playing, you are blind as to what the comments are about.
I thought I had one player that was going to do a AAR, but then he decided not to.

Just seeing the map would be a little limiting, but at least something. I will see about getting you something to look at. Maybe a quick AAR of one battle to hi-light.
Maybe let you all make suggestions as to which match you would like to see out of the 10.

Also, if this continues to be as much fun for me, the next tournament will be using CMBS - so maybe your day will come.

Last edited:

SlySniper

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Just so you know, from the one and only image of the map posted above by meatetr, you are seeing the whole town.
What you do not see is the Syrian start point, which is about 100 yards back towards you, the bridge is on the main road on the left side and there is a berm that the Syrians can crest to the left of the bridge in the corner of the map to set up what can be a base of fire.