greyfox

FGM New Member
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Apart from the commentary above, I'd suggest winding up the audio level somewhat of your narration compared with the game audio. Example at 6:50 - your narration is almost lost amongst the weapon fire.
I only figured that out after I had shot my footage of the opening minutes of the fight. I fixed it for the remaining half - probably overdid it as the shooting is a little bit too quiet imo. This is the weakness of not doing a separate narration track sadly.

Also, it never hurts to initially show all the troops laid out together in an organised fashion in your backfield, so viewers can quickly grasp what your command looks like as a whole. Maybe 30 seconds max, then switch to a view of them deployed, for further discussion.
Yes, will consider it in future.

Denis the Menace

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
drouin.denis@bbox.fr
Forgot I made a short video killing the Hummers! Enjoy!

My poor Hummers !!!! They did not see anything coming, despite having a clear LOS. :eek: Those were the cornerstone of my plan..... lost everything in a minute. Totally F... Up that battle :sick::poop::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

SlySniper

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
At this point, I open up the discussion for the round two AAR's, the only match that should not peek in here until they are done is Clockwork and Olaf.
Their Match has been on hold.

SlySniper

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
A few of the comments I have for this battle is.

German's - They have a very challenging situation in this one and can get their heads handed to them quickly if they are not wise.

The first and most important thing I believe for them is to evaluate the terrain, and approach in the best path possible.

The two reverse slopes are both a danger, but the choice should have been to go to the one on the right and flank around it from the right side.

The reasons being.

First never try to take a reverse slope defense by cresting, that is what the enemy is wanting and planning for, and will have plenty of fire power to bear on you. Sweep the hill around the side for a potential enemy force, doing it in force and then you only have to engage a portion of the enemy at a time.

Second going around that hill on the right, also sheltered you from the hill on the left and the crossroads if enemy forces were there.

Third, by taking that hill, you then have the ability to engage enemy forces on the left hill backside if they are there and do it at range, which should be a advantage for you.

This brings up a second aspect of this battle, doing the move in force, meaning maybe two units protecting the flank. , but all troops and the rest of the equipment in this attack somewhat together.
This battle has taught me that even though your in the dessert and have wide open spaces. Spreading units out is generally not a good concept.
I have found that to win the firepower battle , you need as many forces as possible in the same general area that can overwhelm a enemy location.

Trying to get multi angles and spots at long range and to time it out to happen at the same time generally does not happen and I have seen one small force get neutralized before the other friendly's engages, then when the second small force or unit does spot and engage, same thing happens to it. it gets overwhelmed.

Where as, if the forces are in the general area of each other. Maybe things don't go their way at first at times, but good healthy units can shift quickly to get involved and they just seem to be able to support each other more often.

Last comment on the Germans I want to mention, Drone use,
Now if it was me that drone would be focused on where I am attacking, so backside of the hill I am going for and starting it on turn one.

I saw many use it on the town, that intel might be of some value, but I want to know what might be the biggest threat to my force and that is forces that are going to be able to engage at close range. (Of course, that is if the drone lived long enough to feed you some intel)

The Syrian side of the battle. It was designed for reverse slope defense and most of you stayed with and played a form of that. For the most part, some of you had great success with sticking with it.
I saw a spread open defence, hoping to get angles and surprise likely on the enemy, waiting in hidden positions, that did not work well.

I would have liked to seen someone try for the defense grouped more together in one force, there might have been one player to try that. I recall seeing someone with most of their force behind only one hill, but I did not play through the battle to verify it.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the challenge and lets hear what others think

Lethaface

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
A few of the comments I have for this battle is.

German's - They have a very challenging situation in this one and can get their heads handed to them quickly if they are not wise.

The first and most important thing I believe for them is to evaluate the terrain, and approach in the best path possible.

The two reverse slopes are both a danger, but the choice should have been to go to the one on the right and flank around it from the right side.

The reasons being.

First never try to take a reverse slope defense by cresting, that is what the enemy is wanting and planning for, and will have plenty of fire power to bear on you. Sweep the hill around the side for a potential enemy force, doing it in force and then you only have to engage a portion of the enemy at a time.

Second going around that hill on the right, also sheltered you from the hill on the left and the crossroads if enemy forces were there.

Third, by taking that hill, you then have the ability to engage enemy forces on the left hill backside if they are there and do it at range, which should be a advantage for you.

This brings up a second aspect of this battle, doing the move in force, meaning maybe two units protecting the flank. , but all troops and the rest of the equipment in this attack somewhat together.
This battle has taught me that even though your in the dessert and have wide open spaces. Spreading units out is generally not a good concept.
I have found that to win the firepower battle , you need as many forces as possible in the same general area that can overwhelm a enemy location.

Trying to get multi angles and spots at long range and to time it out to happen at the same time generally does not happen and I have seen one small force get neutralized before the other friendly's engages, then when the second small force or unit does spot and engage, same thing happens to it. it gets overwhelmed.

Where as, if the forces are in the general area of each other. Maybe things don't go their way at first at times, but good healthy units can shift quickly to get involved and they just seem to be able to support each other more often.

Last comment on the Germans I want to mention, Drone use,
Now if it was me that drone would be focused on where I am attacking, so backside of the hill I am going for and starting it on turn one.

I saw many use it on the town, that intel might be of some value, but I want to know what might be the biggest threat to my force and that is forces that are going to be able to engage at close range. (Of course, that is if the drone lived long enough to feed you some intel)

The Syrian side of the battle. It was designed for reverse slope defense and most of you stayed with and played a form of that. For the most part, some of you had great success with sticking with it.
I saw a spread open defence, hoping to get angles and surprise likely on the enemy, waiting in hidden positions, that did not work well.

I would have liked to seen someone try for the defense grouped more together in one force, there might have been one player to try that. I recall seeing someone with most of their force behind only one hill, but I did not play through the battle to verify it.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the challenge and lets hear what others think
I have had too much drinks now so I will only react tomorrow! :)
But still want to thank you for the great games!

Aurelius

FGM New Member
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Here are some images of the map.

Syrian side>

Some from the German side, but a German side player should really add images to put them into a perspective. Watching a desert landscape without some reference is confusing.

Lethaface

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Made a start with my setup for 'round 3', but have a bit of a hangover after hitting the bar with friends. It had been a while so we probably made up for lost months, I saw a picture of one of my friends who fell asleep on the floor (where his wife found him this morning).
Anyway I guess a good time to write up an AAR. So I will be working on it.

Before I forget, @SlySniper previously mentioned that he didn't see any of the German players using the optimal terrain. I'm still curious about that!

Edit: just found the explanation, I guess I missed it / read it last night when not sober. Lol!

Last edited:

Lethaface

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
AAR round 2:

Briefing

Ceasefire in effect, take the weapon cache at crossroad objective.
From the briefing I read that I have very limited firepower available. With a mech platoon including 4 Marders, a TOW Weasel I thought I did have quite some firepower myself. An FO, drone and a scout team were complementing the force. 2x apaches were coming in but only available during the last 10 minutes, and only last 5 minutes on station. Although it turned out that the Marder 20mm couldn't be used with area fire on ground targets (only buildings), limiting their usefulness against infantry (until they get a good spot).
Because of the ceasefire mentioned in the briefing I wondered if the limited firepower was a reference to ROE , and if buildings would be preserve objectives. But as it is the field warrior tournament I went with shooting first, asking questions later.

Terrain
I identified two possible routes:
  • 'left' flank: the 'valley' between the Hill 1 on the left and the rise in front of the village objective. (the one I chose)
  • right flank: crossing the high hill on the right into dead ground and advance from there ( I guess similar to the route Slysniper described as his favorite)
Also on the far end of the map there were a couple of smaller rises, potential hull down positions.

Attack plan
I choose the left route mainly because I felt crossing the hill would open my forces up to possible ATGMs / RR in the village objective and or other positions on the map. It felt very open and with 0 intelligence and 20min on the clock I felt the right flank was too exposed / risky.
The plan was to slowly and cautiously move the dismounted infantry platoon forwards, with 2 Marders staying close and 2 providing overwatch. Staying together I hoped to quickly put down any ambushing Syrians trying to shoot and scoot my forces. When the left hill was cleared, assault the objective with 2 marders providing support from the hill and 2 directly among the infantry push on the objective.

Support
The scout, FO and split of sniper team were to provide observation. Scout and sniper going for the left hill, the FO on the safer hill directly to my right.
1st turn drone because if there is no AA, I get maximum time usage. If there is AA it will be shot down anyway (and gives info on AA position). As the drone can be quickly moved around I wanted to have it observe all potential hull down / ambush positions for a couple of minutes.
I hoped not to have needed the Apaches, as they could only be on target for a couple of minutes.

Expected enemy
I was fearing mostly ATGMs. Expecting (mech) infantry defending the village and or the reverse slopes of the hills. Perhaps a T-55 orso.

plan.png

Execution

phase A: infiltration

Turn 1 enemy Shilka shot my drone down from identified hull down position NAI 1. It made my choice for the left flank stronger, because I felt that taking out that Shilka would be a priority. Especially if the Apaches turn out to be necessary. The TOW Weasel was setup with the idea to covering the hull down position and smoke the Shilka if it showed itself. Some AA technicals were discovered on the right.
2.png

1.png

Not much later, my scout team hunting slowly on the left hill came under heavy small arms and RPG fire, from at least two squads on the plateau/reverse slope. The enemy was not observed, even the FO on higher position wasn't able to spot the ambushers on the left hill. The scout team did get a sound contact of what seemed like an enemy IFV on the reverse slope. The team stayed under fire for a long time, taking two casualties in total.

4.png

My infantry was still slowly and cautiously moving forward and would take a while before being able to flank the Syrian ambushes on the reverse slope. Also I expected that some of the enemy infantry directly on the plateau couldn't be targeted from the lower ground. Allowing these forces to remain in place would mean they could shoot my infantry in the back, when they went for the objective. Cresting the hill would mean a bloodbath for my infantry and or Marders. So, I was really hard pressed for a solution to this tactical problem. I tried suppressing the enemy from the higher hill on the right with my marders (fearing they would be on receiving end of ATGMs).
They turned out safe, but also unable to put fire on the plateau. Luckily the TOW Weasel was able to suppress the plateau a bit with it's MG-3.

I wanted to move 2 Marders on the right flank, where they would be able to target the IFV on the left from a reverse slope position. But I first wanted the other pair of Marders to area fire the 2 story buildings in the village objective, so any potential ATGMs there would be suppressed. I crawled the sniper on the plateau to support the scout team a little bit, while the Weasel kept up it's MG fire.
In the mean time my FO's driver had been ordered to watch the right flank for security and came under fire of the AA on the right. I ordered the two Marders I planned for the right flank into a hull down position. One of them quickly took out the three observed AA Technicals.

6.png

A few turns later, they moved forward from hill 3 deep enough to flank the IFV (BMP-2) on the left hill reverse slope from a nice position. In the meantime the BMP-2 managed to take out a 2men scout team which I had moved out a bit too far. My Marders spotted it and fired at it with 20mm and ATGMs. The ATGM missed, but an infantry squad k-killed it with a nice Pz Faust shot.

9.png

The Marders on the right continued suppressing the infantry spotted on the left hill reverse slope. Unfortunately they didn't use the 20mm, but the MG or ATGMs. While reloading an ATGM a Marder got a sound contact a couple hundred meters to the rear. I gave it a covered arc and reverse into a position to find out what it was. It turned out to be a 4th AA technical, which my Marders had simply rode by (Denis told me). The technical had a spot on my buttoned Marder first and unleashed the 23mm. While it failed to penetrate, it did make that Marder combat innefective (full firepower kill). Luckily the other Marder was able to finish off this technical the next turn.

In the meantime my sniper had gotten a spot of the Syrian infantry on the plateau at hill 1 and dispatched an RPG carrying troop. Finally I was starting to get some results against the infantry on hill 1.

Phase B - Fight for the hill
I decided that this was the time to take the hill plateau. The two Marders which had been overwatching my infantry and firing at the buildings in the town, were ordered to crest the plateau and take out the by now hopefully suppressed enemy infantry. This worked out fine, after which the two Marders pushed up to flush out the Shilka. This worked too, but the Shilka spotted and fired first, leading to another firepower kill on a Marder. Using that Marder as bait, the other Marder was able to take out the Shilka although it immobilized the bait.

10.png

13.png

As time was getting close, I quickly moved my infantry to help mopping up the remaining infantry on the reverse slope. Turned out to be more forces left than I imagined, and my infantry was suppressed by several PKM in good positions.

12.png

With help of a Marder my infantry platoon got fire superiority. A couple of enemy infantry tried to hide behind a terrain feature. Feeling bold I moved a Marder to a position where it should have good LOS/LOF to those men, at around 300m. While driving to the position several RPGs were fired at it, but missed. Thinking it was safe at that distance I moved it facing the infantry, upon which another RPG was fired which did hit and killed the Marder and all crew.
This was a big setback, since in quick succesion I effectively lost 3 Marders (although one was still functional as a unarmed APC). Only one Marder was fully functioning, while time was running out.

15a.png

Continue in next post.

Last edited:

Lethaface

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Phase C - Attack on the objective
The Apaches were ordered on the village objective and the other reverse slope. While the infantry tried to move as fast as they could to positions from which the village was to be attacked. Not long before the Apaches arrived, my FO spotted Syrian infantry moving towards the village objective (coming from the right hill reverse slope).
I guess that the FO having a laser designator helped a lot, because the Apaches used their Hydra rockets and a bit of chaingun very accurately to suppress the enemy infantry reinforcing the objective.
17.png

With 2 minutes left I canceled the Apaches and moved up the infantry and remaining marders in a 2 pronged attack. This all went well, until at the very last turn an enemy HQ which had been staying in a building I forgot to suppress for the last attack (the only building not suppressed), took out 1.5 squad and a Pz Faust fired at it KO'ed my Weasel which was near to the building.
18.png

19.png

I made a couple of mistakes, which were all punished by Denis. Apart from the last turn, I thought the battle went quite ok given the circumstances.

20.png

Certainly a chellenging game, and I've learned a couple of things.

--

In hindsight I think the right flank would indeed be a better choice, for many of the reasons @SlySniper states. It would have indeed be much easier to take out the forces on the left hill from the right side of the map.
I was pondering over switching sides when I faced difficulty to dislodge the infantry on the left plateau (and having the Apaches take care of them). I decided against the switch, because I thought it would cost too much time and there might be more defenses. Also, taking out the Shilka from the right side would be more difficult. If the Syrians would have had any ATGMs the right flank would be more exposed though.

In general I think I could have been more aggressive and deploying the infantry more forward, as I was pressed for time. However I had little info on enemy positions and didn't want to blunder into an ambush.

All in all great game, enjoyed playing it. Good match Denis, thanks Slysniper for the battles!

fivefivesix

FGM Lance Corporal
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
5-8 games.
Email
hollister21@gmail.com
AAR from the Syrian side:

Still a few minutes left in this one so I'll post the first half or so for now.

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 8.17.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 8.18.04 AM.png

Reading this mission brief had me pretty excited, get to try and set some ambushes. I'm already thinking of what kind of urban terrain I can hide in or what foliage cover there might be ...

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 9.08.45 AM.png

This map is position with North up. Two prominent terrain features, the two hills with slope objectives. The road runs through a valley. The entire map is open and hilly with subtle terrain elevations and depressions. Only a few trees and a handful of buildings around the crossroad village, otherwise there is no cover or concealment to be found on the map.

I didn't really have a set plan in place to begin. I figured my opponent would go for one or the other hills, so I set up planning to lay ambushes with infantry and then be able to move heavy weapons into place to catch the enemy from multiple directions:

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 9.08.53 AM.png

The first few turns, enemy IFVs and infantry are spotted advancing near the main road and the southern hill. My AA technicals and Shilka positions are highlighted. I intended to use the AA technicals for quick deployment hit-and-run missions. Note the BMP in the top left of the map, intended to be a QRF ambush team.

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 8.32.45 AM.png

Enemy contact on turn 1 - 2. No shots are fired yet:

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 8.10.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 8.16.52 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 8.12.16 AM.png

The enemy sends an infantry recon screen up the southern hill. They are engaged by my Syrian regulars with casualties on both sides. After several minutes, 2 enemy IFVs are spotted rushing through the valley towards the crossroad village. One of them spots my hidden RPG ambush team and opens fire on the move, killing 2 of the team. The IFVs stop on a small crest and unload enemy infantry:

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 5.38.39 PM.png

At this point I'm not sure what to do ... I've caused some casualties on the southern hill, but this sudden rush was unanticipated. If the enemy overwhelms my thin line of ambushers near the road, they'll have a clear shot to drive right up to the crossroad objective. So I decided to begin the ambush in force. An AA technical is ordered to put area fire on infantry contacts spotted near the road, and my other vehicles move into position to put fire on the enemy that has rushed forward. I'm hoping that the enemy may be overextended and potentially I can defeat these forces piecemeal now:

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 5.39.33 PM.png

fivefivesix

FGM Lance Corporal
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
5-8 games.
Email
hollister21@gmail.com
Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 5.41.31 PM.png

I think my opponent realized I moved my AA assets in place to engage his forward IFVs. He quickly repositioned them down a small crest, towards the southern hill. Even better, now this enemy force is pinned in dead ground by almost every AA gun I have. They are protected from long range fire in this area but will be in LOS if they try to crest toward the road or crossroad village. The forward enemy begins to put fire on my troops on the southern reverse slope, inflicting many casualties. My AA technical on the reverse slope of the southern hill is able to take out one enemy IFV before being destroyed by the other. I used AA area fire to keep the forward deployed enemy pinned while I reposition infantry to close assault. I also realized the enemy infantry on southern hill are not supported by IFVs. I push my regulars forward towards contact and they work together to pin and kill the enemy infantry:

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 12.23.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 11.46.48 AM.png

I also pushed RPG ambush teams up towards the enemy from the northern hill. At this point my goal was to keep constant pressure on the enemy, attacking from all sides on every turn. This team came under fire from an enemy IFV. My overwatching MG team returns fire and buttons up the enemy gunner, no casualties taken.

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 11.59.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 12.00.45 PM.png

At this point I have killed two IFVs, one with the AA technical and another with a fantastic RPG shot from the southern hill. The enemy is seen withdrawing from the road, possibly to regroup on the southern hill:

Screen Shot 2020-06-06 at 11.53.55 AM.png

Moving my RPG ambush teams paid off, as I am able to take out the 2nd IFV in my enemy's forward position:

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 11.11.19 AM.png

Updated map:

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 11.18.29 AM.png

My AA technical from the northern slope spots and takes out the enemy Weasel. This is big because this vehicle was in a great hull down position preventing any of my vehicles from moving forward from the northside of the road. I can safely advance my AA assets forward to engage enemy infantry. The enemy IFV is the only remaining armored vehicle:

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 11.37.53 AM.png

Lethaface

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Great AAR! Really like the picture in picture effects. Seemed your ambush was rather effective!

MeatEtr

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
wings76@windstream.net
Wow some great AARs guys, well done! (y)

As the attacking German player I split my forces into two groups and went to take the high ground hills. Also had a light infantry recon force down the main road. My opponent @George MC had an infantry/RPG screen which slowly got spotted by my unmounted infantry and eliminated with help from the Marders. His BMP almost KOed one of my Marders, took a couple of hits and destroyed the MG. But overall, took the high ground with just a few infantry losses!

He had his AA trucks, BMP, and Shilka farther back behind some berms on both left and right flanks. He pushed 2 AA trucks forward to engage my recon teams and got KOed by Marders on overwatch. Shortly later on at the far right flank I pushed 2 Marders up to engage his other 2 AA trucks. It was 2v2 which favors Marders since the AA doesnt have optics.

Then later on, which was probably my best turn, I destroyed both his BMP and Shilka behind a hill at the far left flank near the road. I defintely took these targets more seriously. So I sneaked a sniper team and AT team (range was about 300-400m) to engage. On the same turn I rolled up my Weasel and 2 Marders into LOS. Sniper was taking potshots at the Shilka's TC and the panzerfaust missed his shot. But got em both with the Marders with no losses.

For some reason my drone never spotted anything. Even after I made them search in the areas where I knew he had AFVs. Also constantly checked their C2. Still dont know why. Any other German players had issues with the drone?

Anyway, here's a few pics:

If your not sure where the enemy is... then just level everything! :shootero:

George MC

FGM Private
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
georgemc@coldclimbs.com
Wow some great AARs guys, well done! (y)

As the attacking German player I split my forces into two groups and went to take the high ground hills. Also had a light infantry recon force down the main road. My opponent @George MC had an infantry/RPG screen which slowly got spotted by my unmounted infantry and eliminated with help from the Marders. His BMP almost KOed one of my Marders, took a couple of hits and destroyed the MG. But overall, took the high ground with just a few infantry losses!

He had his AA trucks, BMP, and Shilka farther back behind some berms on both left and right flanks. He pushed 2 AA trucks forward to engage my recon teams and got KOed by Marders on overwatch. Shortly later on at the far right flank I pushed 2 Marders up to engage his other 2 AA trucks. It was 2v2 which favors Marders since the AA doesnt have optics.

Then later on, which was probably my best turn, I destroyed both his BMP and Shilka behind a hill at the far left flank near the road. I defintely took these targets more seriously. So I sneaked a sniper team and AT team (range was about 300-400m) to engage. On the same turn I rolled up my Weasel and 2 Marders into LOS. Sniper was taking potshots at the Shilka's TC and the panzerfaust missed his shot. But got em both with the Marders with no losses.

For some reason my drone never spotted anything. Even after I made them search in the areas where I knew he had AFVs. Also constantly checked their C2. Still dont know why. Any other German players had issues with the drone?

Anyway, here's a few pics:

If your not sure where the enemy is... then just level everything! :shootero:

He! Good effort mate - I was well and truly beat! :)