Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Scenario and tactics discussion & AAR's,

SlySniper

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
During my play test, I found I liked running the Dutch up to about 300 meters of the enemy and kept them spread out and moving. Stopping for any period of time was not a wise thing.

Also, any player that was over aggressive with the Dutch likely paid a heavy price in losses if they were too far forward when the Syrian Calvary arrived.

JTimo

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Played Syrians. Loaded or not didn't seem to matter, so I just drove fast. Lost 7 technicals, all in the first two minutes. Remaining vehicles found cover, while surviving grunts did their best to make it to their locations. Some made it, some didn't. Meanwhile my overwatch managed to get 11 of his vehicles with the remaining retreating off the map. No losses to my overwatch, and all his forces were dead or gone by the time the cavalry arrived. That left plenty of time to exit remaining men and vehicles from convoy. Given the number of convoy units that I exited, and the number of Dutch units that were knocked out, I was surprised that the final was a draw 700+ for me and 500+ for SgtGrunt.

SlySniper

FGM MEMBER
Ok, a few images for my one or two lurkers to the site.

I have taken these from Aurelius and George MC battle. Which I found was a interesting one when I viewed it.

Ok before I even start, I will admit that the Syrian player has a very hard time impacting the outcome of the battle in this one, his decisions will not impact the play much. its the Dutch player that has the most influence in this battle.

What I liked in this battle was Aurelius opening position as seen below. This was his method for dealing with Atgm that he figured were on the heights
I would have liked to see it work out for him.
But his opponent , had left most of his units loaded and managed to get a good number to break for safety because of the less amount of fire power and long range targeting on turn one. But it was a cool concept even so.

[url=https://imgur.com/1JVJdIb] [/URL]

Here is a view of the gulley that could play out in the battle, and did in some of them as to a place to find safety from the Dutch

[url=https://imgur.com/Fn6EJQH] [/URL]

I view of the entrance into the mountain region. Here is where the Syrians had the fun in trying to take out the enemy patrol from a distance.
Except in one battle, we had one Dutch player run units right up on the hill on the left. He might have a aggressive personality to say the least.
I don't remember who that was that did that.

[url=https://imgur.com/tekbGBL] [/URL]

Here is a view from the hill tops over the Battle area. That ATGM had 5 missiles and each one really needed to count. I felt like George here placed his too far back and he was having a hard time getting juicy targets.
But I left mine forward and my opponent did the right thing and grenaded the area I was at. No, he did not kill me because the range is to far. but it was enough that my unit also had a hard time of hitting targets that were right in the open,.

[url=https://imgur.com/N797CsV] [/URL]

Last edited:

Aurelius

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Some further clarification.

I simply knew that there was going to be an ATGM threat, so I made my predictions as following (note, I will use GRAU designations, instead of NATO ones)>

9K11 Malyutka (in any variant): too slow and with a 500 meters dead zone between the missile and the operator - too unreliable;
9K115 Metis: unlikely due to range limitations (1000 meters);
9K115-2 Metis-M: fast enough, but at an extreme end of the range (1500 meters);
9M133 Kornet: unlikely, it would be wasteful;
9K111 Fagot (in any variant): most likely due to it's speed, range and reliability.

Seeing the model of the first missile flying over my vehicles confirmed for me that it was in fact 9K111 Fagot.

Also, I knew there was going to be a DShK, because it has good range and the 12,7x108 mm can easily punch through the vehicle. Hearing the first burst was not satisfying....

I set up the barrier (consisting of the vehicles with the FN MAG) to protect the more valuable vehicles (those being the one with the M2HB and the two with the H&K GMG). The reasoning was simple - there are going to be casualties, so let me protect the more valuable vehicles or at least try to protect them.

George MC

FGM Corporal
FGM MEMBER
Interesting to see the view from the other sdie of the hill.

I guessed my guys were going to be in contact from the off. I dismounted a small rear guard (in reverse slope positions) and had everyone else hightail it out of the area - I quickly pulled one truck out of the fleeing gaggle which I sent into the gully a/ to get covered b/ to act as another rearguard.

Re the ATGM - aye swither what to do with them placement wise. I had originally set the up forward but thought they'd be easily killed there so set them up bit further back. The result I struggled to get good fixes on his units. I did wonder about the ATGM barrier of wagons - thought it was a good move - and I tried to use my ATGM and mortars to nail the wagons hiding behind them.

My rearguard were not as effective as I had hoped them would be...

Raging Al

FGM Lance Corporal
FGM MEMBER
It was @Denis the Menace who charged the heights in our battle. It was an extremely bold move with his last four wagons, and just before my cavalry arrived. I thought I was screwed, but luckily my men in the hills were able to take out three of them and drive the last one off for the loss of an MMG team. Otherwise that move could have won the battle for him.

My HMG and ATGM were my real saviours each with 4 wagons and 14 casualties to their credits. The cavalry only turned up in time for the glory hunting - picking up my waifs and strays and chasing the last of the Dutch stragglers from the field.

Luckily managed to exit five vehicles and 25 men from the convoy in total. But it was a fun and intense battle. I don’t think I’ve ever witnessed so much carnage in the first turn of a battle.

Denis the Menace

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Website
fr-fr.facebook.com
It was @Denis the Menace who charged the heights in our battle. It was an extremely bold move with his last four wagons, and just before my cavalry arrived. I thought I was screwed, but luckily my men in the hills were able to take out three of them and drive the last one off for the loss of an MMG team. Otherwise that move could have won the battle for him.

My HMG and ATGM were my real saviours each with 4 wagons and 14 casualties to their credits. The cavalry only turned up in time for the glory hunting - picking up my waifs and strays and chasing the last of the Dutch stragglers from the field.

Luckily managed to exit five vehicles and 25 men from the convoy in total. But it was a fun and intense battle. I don’t think I’ve ever witnessed so much carnage in the first turn of a battle.
I plead guilty ! Again I played like a fool :whistleo:

Yeah I kinda goofed up on my retreat as the Dutch! I assumed correctly the Syrian reinforcements would come in at the 10 min mark. But sure enough I forgot to retreat on turn 11 and paid dearly for it. So @Lethaface and me gotta Draw! On the flip side, I left behind a little surprise for his attacking AFVs. It paid off grabbing the extra launcher/rockets from the jeep. But not enough to change our result. Good times! (y)

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Yeah I kinda goofed up on my retreat as the Dutch! I assumed correctly the Syrian reinforcements would come in at the 10 min mark. But sure enough I forgot to retreat on turn 11 and paid dearly for it. So @Lethaface and me gotta Draw! On the flip side, I left behind a little surprise for his attacking AFVs. It paid off grabbing the extra launcher/rockets from the jeep. But not enough to change our result. Good times! (y)

Yeah it was a nice ambush, especially because I was expecting it but still drove into it lol.

I was mostly away for a while due to RL issues, but slowly picking things back up.
As the Syrians in this game my tactical options were limited. I expected the green combatants without heavy weapons to just melt away, so I decided to rush them all to the exit point, leaving only the fighters behind to try and delay a bit with RPGs. I was contemplating using the mortars in a blind prep barrage to screen the convoy, but decided against it (blind fire). In hindsight I should have used it, I think.
In direct fire these 120mm mortars don't have the rate of fire to do much against such mobile forces. Although I think they had some effect on troops @MeatEtr pushed into the gully, it was minimal I guess.
My ATGM missed it's first 3 shots, which was rather disappointing. So the DShK was the main asset I had in the beginning. I tried to take out the .50 and GMG wagons first.
Meatetr melted most of the convoy and the convoy troops without issues. Against the firepower of those wagons bounding towards them, they could only cower and die. The DShK did some work but was a bit overburdened with targets and little ammo.
It's when he started pushing up into range of my PKMs that he started taking more casualties. The ATGM did also hit it's last 2 missiles, so I was exacting some revenge for the convoy. When the reinforcements came in they were able to nail a couple of wagons with the 14,5, before meatetr withdrew the bulk of his troops (while ambushing 2 of my BTRs).

Well played!

SlySniper

FGM MEMBER
I know that the British players sure loved this battle, for the Syrians they really had a hard challenge.

I will only say I wished I had added a little infantry support with the Syrians with some AT weapons.

Other than that I was pleased with the rest of the scenario design.

George MC

FGM Corporal
FGM MEMBER
NOTE: I had posted this in the wrong forum, sorry!

This is a summary AAR of mine and Shorker's violent encounter! It was in every sense a blast. My hat off to @Shorker as he decisively punished my overconfidence in the abilities of my Challengers.

Plan

Looking at the map I anticipated that REDFOR would be looking to cover the road, and this is where I suspect IEDs. So my initial plan sought to avoid travelling the elevated highway. There was covered approaches both to my right and left that gave me concern as it would allow any REDFOR armoured units to approach close to my force and engage, negating the long range advantages my armour had.

1600704389891.png

I assumed the village would be strongly held, so my scheme of manoeuvre was to attack from both flanks (2 Troop left flank; 4 Troop right flank), whilst my overwatch armour (1 Troop and HQ) on the wooded hill could blast holes in the walls of the town (rather than access the town via the obvious openings which I assumed would be defended and be seeded with IEDs. The armoured infantry (4 Platoon) and 3 Troop would be held in reserve for the final assault and penetration into the walled town.

I used my Recce Troop (2 x Scimitars) to recce and screen my left flank – it was here I suspected the main enemy attack might come.

First Turn

As they say ‘no plan survives first contact’, and ‘the enemy has a vote’. Both phrases were borne out pretty much from the opening…

2 Troop report – “Contact! Left front flank , 1800m, estimated five enemy tanks, advancing on my axis, engaging destroyed one!”

This was very quickly followed by another contact report from 3 Troop who had spotted and engaged the same group. They KO’d four enemy tanks whilst 2 Troop and 1 Troop took up firing positions. My Warriors sped into cover.

1 Troop leader tank on its approach to the wooded hill was hit and the troop’s leader killed. He’d been head up out of the hatch (not SOP for this unit). The vehicle was immobilised.

1600704403775.png

An intense tank duel then erupted as my tanks engaged three distinct attacking Syrian armoured groupings.

1600704414930.png

By 3 minutes into the game I counted 16 wrecked and burning Syrian tanks. The vehicle commander of 2nd Tank 3 Troop was killed despite SOP to remain buttoned up in combat (what’s it with cav officers not following SOP!).

1600704423710.png

I started to push forward with 2 Troop on my left flank, and switched main attack effort with two tanks and Warriors in centre. Pulled 1 Troop up onto high ground to support squadron commander and provide overwatch.

Recce tanks pulled them back in. Plan to hold them back to act as rearguard occupy road controls.

Minute 5

No action. All my units moving to new positions. Next stage - prep for assault on village. Still the question of unaccounted enemy armour though.

At minute 6 tank on the hill hits mines and is immobilised.

Unaccounted enemy tanks question answered. Two lead tanks from 1 Troop are ambushed by enemy tanks. One tank is brewed up.

I move two tanks from 3 Troop who are now on the hill through the woods. Bingo! A clutch of Syrian tanks side on. They get first shot off but my two tanks quickly brew up two of them.

1600704435864.png

1600704444545.png

17 minutes

The past time has been spent re-organising my force and pressing on, cautiously, with my attack.

1600704453616.png

3 Troop ID five Syrian tanks in their engagement sector. They take out two before popping smoke and pulling back.

At around the same time several more contacts are spotted to our left rear and engaged by the immobilised tank from 1 Troop and the squadron OC. Two Syrian tanks are quickly despatched. So far this makes 26 enemy tanks KOd. Leaving an estimated four still to be accounted for. Two are spotted at the end of the turn by 4 Troop and engaged.

Warriors are ordered to move up on the left flank to link up with 2 Troop as prelude to breaking into walled village. Tanks from 3 Troop on the hill are ordered to take the two corners of the walled village under fire to effect a breach.

Two more Syrian tanks are KOd but one appears to have avoided being brewed up despite engaged and taking a glancing hit to its turret.

15 minutes left on the clock

Surviving Syrian tank is nailed by 1 Troop CO.

Warriors still in transit to their jumping off point for the final assault on the village. Tanks start to target buildings with MG and chain gun fire.

12 minutes on clock

Start putting down smoke. Warriors move out for assault into the town.

9 minutes left on clock

Dismounts have successfully moved into buildings on northern outskirts of the town. Contact with one insurgent who was immediately neutralised.

Dismounts continue to clear houses. Additional contacts made with what appears to be lone insurgents who are quickly neutralised by overwatch units (mainly tank and warrior chain guns).

7 minutes left on the clock

1 Troop HQ tank is hit! WTF!? Then my overwatch spot five enemy tanks to our (rear left flank – or NE) and proceed to engage them.

1 Troop pop smoke and wheel about to face their attackers. My overwatch on the wooded hill spot, engage and KO one enemy tank.

Then all hell broke lose! A Squadron HQ engages the enemy but is quickly knocked out although all the crew survive. 1 Troop KO one enemy tank but in the same instant A Squadron’s 2IC’s tank suffers a catastrophic hit, and explodes killing all the crew. Closely followed by Tank 2 from 1 Troop. The last surviving 1 Troop tank continues to engage killing two enemy tanks.
1600704469246.png

One more enemy tank is killed. Unfazed my assault continues into the village.

Several enemy tanks are spotted on the hill resuming the attack - meaning there are more! 4 Troop HQ in the village who’d orientated north spotted one of them and engaged it as did 2 Troop HQ who managed to KO it.

1600704476971.png

With this threat neutralised my units continued to clear the village but encountered no further opposition and managed to secure all their objectives.

Thanks to @SlySniper for a brilliant armoured mission. I really enjoyed this one!

Last edited:

Aurelius

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
I will only say I wished I had added a little infantry support with the Syrians with some AT weapons.

And yet I feel, having played the Syrian side in this battle, that with less I would have been able to achieve more. Instead of 30 garbage tanks, 7 - 10 T 72 TURMS, coupled with 7 T90SA's, could have made more of an impact. Three of my T 90 SA's did more damage to my opponents force than those 30 tanks - T 90 SA's destroyed 7 Challengers, while only one Challenger was destroyed by a T 62 MV and only because the flank was exposed.

Raging Al

FGM Lance Corporal
FGM MEMBER
And yet I feel, having played the Syrian side in this battle, that with less I would have been able to achieve more. Instead of 30 garbage tanks, 7 - 10 T 72 TURMS, coupled with 7 T90SA's, could have made more of an impact. Three of my T 90 SA's did more damage to my opponents force than those 30 tanks - T 90 SA's destroyed 7 Challengers, while only one Challenger was destroyed by a T 62 MV and only because the flank was exposed.
And one of your T-90’s took out two of my Challengers with one shot! :eek:

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
As the British player against @SlySniper I had indeed a lot of fun. Didn't have time to make much plans, and I was contemplating just moving the whole force Command&Conquer blob style over one flank.
But I identified two probable positions where tanks could crest and face the road (extreme left and right flank) and chose to go for a two pronged push with an overwatch element slowly advancing along the road. Not unlike GeorgeMC's plans.

PlanVsSlysniper.png

The battle started nicely, with a 1 shot 2 kill in the first turn. I got two out of 6? vehicles moving into the village objective.
Bounding my tanks movements I cautiously tried not to stumble into a bunch of overwatching tanks. I was suspecting there be some T-90s or Turms-T variants around. I send out one recon vehicle on each flank to test the waters. They did their job of discovering the enemy in a classic recon by death. A real slugfest erupted bounding tanks came into contact with of groups of T-62/72s. Using troops of tanks (3+) as the smallest element, my main effort was on the left flank with 6 Challengers. Two (plus one on the right) fell victim to mines and became immobilized.
On the extreme left flank,1 T-72 from a hull down position was able to take out 1 challenger. Other than that I was able to finish off all the remaining tanks, or at least I thought so. After first expecting the bulk of his remaining tanks of the far left, I almost reached the end of the map and there seamed nothing left. Suddenly the 7 T-90s moved in on my 3 Challengers on the far left. Taking out 2 T90s, I lost all 3 challengers.

Meanwhile my mech infantry had mounted up and started to move on the village, planning to attack it from both flanks with the HQ providing mortar support from a few hundred meters. However with the T-90s uncovered I made evasive maneuvers, smoked and dismounted the infantry.
With quite a big number of Challengers in overwatch positions, I decided to bait the T-90s out of their position while rushing the Warriors with infantyr to the right flank of the village. A few of the remaining T-90s poked their head and got shot up, but did get 2 empty Warriors in return. The last 3 were taken down in a final point blank tank duel. Although he penetrated one Challenger, I was able to take out the 3 further T90s without further losses.
This adventure did cost me precious time and delayed the village assault with a few minutes. While the remaining T-62s in the village were taken out without issues, one warrior blew up on a mine and as I was cautious with the infantry only occupied around half of the village as the time ran out.

Slysniper had prepared many hulldown/reverse slope ambushes, which I could overpower with the superior Chally's. A couple of times I used smoke to blind the enemy tanks and than move up behind smoke with thermals.
The T-90s were very dangerous, the Kontakt-5 ERA stopping a number of Challenger 2 rounds at close range. The last duel saw 3 of my Challengers hunting his last 3 T-90s and could probably gone both ways.

The main thing I think I should have done differently is that I should have been more forthcoming / aggressive with the Warriors and infantry, as I was one or 2 min short of securing the full objective.

Great battle!
Didn't take much screens, but got one of the final pointblank tank duel (at least 2 previously KO'ed Challenger-2s in the background:

cm shock force 2.exe Screenshot 2020.08.20 - 19.25.30.52.png

cm shock force 2.exe Screenshot 2020.08.20 - 19.27.36.48.png

cm shock force 2.exe Screenshot 2020.08.20 - 19.28.10.90.png

fivefivesix

FGM Corporal
FGM MEMBER
I didn't get any screenshots of this battle, but I did approach it similarly to the other UK players. When I saw it was mostly a tank engagement I was worried, I feel like I'm usually weaker in managing armor overall ... in the end I tried to keep platoons cohesive and supporting each other and I was happy with the outcome. I prioritized occupying the main road, and aggressively pushed a tank platoon up the high ground on the UK right flank, taking out many enemy T62/72s. One of my recce vehicles headed pretty much straight down the highway, the other on my right flank skipping from cover to cover. Both survived the game! I similarly sent another tank platoon to screen my left flank, from hull down positions. This platoon took my only armor loss, a total loss of tank and crew from a T90 on the left flank. I made the decision to reverse the two remaining tanks back to the main highway as I was worried they would come to the same fate, I think this was a good call in hindsight.

At least one tank from every platoon was area-fire shelling the town from about minute ~15 onward, the assignment rotated every turn to conserve HE ... I always worry about giving my tanks area target orders without knowing if enemy armor is seconds away from cresting the distant hill, but I really wanted to incapacitate as many enemy in the town / level buildings and exterior walls before assaulting. Once it seemed like most of the enemy tank were burning, I sent the mech infantry to assault the town. I was a bit more rushed than I like in the town, and took 2 casualties moving to cover the roads, but the enemy were quickly dispatched by overwatch. I secured the last road objective during the final minute.

The T90s were formidable tanks, and often spotted my challengers before I spotted them (probably because my challengers were sprawled out in the open). In one case, two T90s came into view after firing a penetrating hit ... 5 or 6 of my tanks spotted them simultaneously, with one of the enemy tanks shrugging off 3 shells in quick succession.

JTimo

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
My plans were similar to the other Brit players. One platoon up the left flank with a Warrior for forward recon. One to the right to secure the high ground, led by a recon vehicle. This platoon was to be used as overwatch, after insuring that the Syrians were not on or behind that hill. A third worked their way along the low ground to the left of the road, and the fourth remained back in their starting positions as initial overwatch. The remaining Warrior vehicles and men of the Warrior platoon, led by a recon vehicle, followed a low path to the right of the road, and out towards the right side of the map to a position where they could make a final assault on the town. This group would be accompanied by the initial overwatch platoon once the platoon moving to the right secured their overwatch positions on the back tree covered hill.

Not all went as planned. A tank from the platoon moving to the right became immobilized when it hit a mine on the back edge of the map. It was replaced by one from my initial overwatch platoon, but by then a number of Syrian tanks appeared from the far side of the map. They were dispatched but it stalled my effort to secure the tree covered hill as the platoon took on its overwatch responsibilities short of reaching their planned positions. This later became a bigger problem, but at the time I no longer believed that any Syrian tanks were located on the far side of the tree covered hill.

Meanwhile the group heading along the left flank lost the Warrior performing recon when that vehicle hit another mine.

The two remaining tanks from the platoon providing the initial overwatch moved out to provide the planned close support for the Warrior platoon. As this group emerged from the low ground, the lead recon vehicle, and one of the supporting Challengers blew up from fire from the direction where I no longer believed the Syrians to have any tanks. Two turns later, another vheicle, one of the platoon's Warriors, could not get back to cover, and met a similar fate. With the help of smoke it did managed to discharge its passengers before taking the hit.

The situation forced me to scramble to positions where my tanks could counter the threat from that direction. Some 5 or 6 minutes later, the eleven tanks in that location were eliminated without further losses. As a result, I now had two Challengers on top of that tree covered hill to provide overwatch as I resumed the other parts of my plan.

As the game progressed I luckily, did not coordinate threats from multiple directions, and I was able to handle each threat as it emerged for the remainder of the game.

With 5 minutes remaining, my two remaining Warriors, accompanied by two supporting Challengers made their final approach on the right side of the town, destroying a segment of the wall and dismounting their passengers with two minutes remaining. This was enough time to enter the town, and take two of the intersections, and one of the back control locations.

Unlike reports from the other British players, my tanks benefitted from a ton of first shot kills, and really slow Syrian spotting. Even when the target was a T90.

In the end the Syrians lost all 37 of their tanks while destroying 5 Challengers, 2 recon vehicles, and 1 Warrior. Most of the crew members surviving.