Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Scenario and tactics discussion & AAR's,

Gnarly

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Question for all players and/or @SlySniper : are there any of these scenarios playable with just base game, and of these, are any going to be equally fun / viable for both sides? To play H2H outside this comp (obviously).

SlySniper

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Right now, four of the 5 games appear very balenced for scoring.
So if that matters, they are great for h2h player.

This scenario #4 is the only unbalenced scenario with 8 British victories out of 9.

As for playing in the base game, I am sure 4 of the 5 would not. The only one that might work is Scenario # 5 which is being played right now

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
I know that the British players sure loved this battle, for the Syrians they really had a hard challenge.

I will only say I wished I had added a little infantry support with the Syrians with some AT weapons.

Other than that I was pleased with the rest of the scenario design.

Although I had great fun with this battle :), agreed that some infantry with AT weapons could have kept the UK player more honest. And or what @Aurelius said, that some extra Turms-T vs T-72/62 without thermal optics could make a quite the difference too.
In this battle after the first few turns I didn't expect ATGM from village. Partly due to briefing, partly due to my expectations in these battles.

With regards to game ATGMS in the battles 1-4: Especially in the game with German Mechanized Infantry I was personally expecting ATGMs. Now I don't mind that there weren't any ;-), but imo ATGMs are the most important asset RED has for keeping BLUE honest in CMSF2. Obviously in tiny maps or very dense terrain with low sight ranges, they are less of a factor.
And I know ATGMs featured in battle 1 and 3, although in a battle where they were pitted against not against AFVs.
Perhaps in a future tournament there is room for a battle which involves the lessons ATGMs give against mechanized/armoured forces. It is a setting one will often see in scenario's or QBs.

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Question for all players and/or @SlySniper : are there any of these scenarios playable with just base game, and of these, are any going to be equally fun / viable for both sides? To play H2H outside this comp (obviously).
Like Slysniper said. Also, trying to go in blind as possible with regards to what the other side has, will also be great for balance.

SlySniper

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
You are now able to discuss the final battle in this tournament.

for the Syrian, his key unit might be the mortars.

For the Americans, it might be the same, but I found the Snipers could be a major factor also.

Did anyone feel the Humvee's were a major impact.

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
I feel I should have used the Humvee's even more aggressively, especially the MK-19 should have been out of ammo and dismounted near an objective with it's M32 MGL. The .50 Humvee was certainly contributing significantly towards suppression of enemy positions. All in all I think that the Humvee's did still provide major impact for me.
I used the mortars on a preliminary harassment strike on both 'peaks', which were key terrain imo. The snipers put out some nice work too, but my top scoring squad is the squad who was left with only 1 men. They had ~15 kills. Will try to write up some sort of AAR next week.

fivefivesix

FGM Corporal
FGM MEMBER
I’m curious how other US sides fared in this one. My opponent had my guys on the right pinned by mortar fire right away, so my right side was slowed considerably from advancing in the beginning. This allowed my opponent to take the high ground on both flanks pretty much within a few turns.

I called for indirect mortar fire a few action spaces behind the hill too, hoping to take out unseen enemy, but I think this was wasted as the enemy already occupied the crest by the time of FFE.

I advanced steadily up the center gully, worried I’d have mortar fire kill the entire platoon if they stayed in one place. This was a worst possible scenario for those guys, surrounded on both sides by enemy on high ground, MG fire, rpgs sailing in regularly. They held out remarkably well given the circumstances, mostly out of ammo at the end.

On the right I managed to push forward to the reverse slope but was constantly under small arms fire from high ground on both flanks. I made a push for the VL on the right at the end, but it was too well covered for any chance.

The Humvees showed up and I put them into action, I figured the gunners would get KIA pretty quick but only lost one over a few turns. Lost one Humvee and crew to an rpg, the other I dismounted once they ran out of 50cal ammo, but they were effective while operational.

I ended up with just one VL, my opponents’ fire power and position on high ground was too much to overcome

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
@fivefivesix Quick reply is that I used my mortars in a preliminary harassing strike behind both the left and middle/right ridges. Those were the key terrain imo. Also I moved all my troops in positions from where they can lay down fire, first turn. I tried to use my MGs with fire upon the key terrain and from there move my infantry forward in bounds. This worked great, but I had some screw up around the gully. I thought of moving one mortar on the gully, but instead used the MK19. It wasn't enough and I took most my casualties there iirc. I re-ordered my mortars for a strike on the left flank ridge, concentrated my infantry and moved towards the remaining objectives. Got 3/4, with the 4th contested. I'll try to make some sort of overview of how the battle went.

Last edited:

Aurelius

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
@SlySniper How did I get 100 points?! I really thought my performance would net me mediocre results, at best...

Anyways, from the briefing image I was able to locate the enemy mortar battery, but decided not to bombard the area because it would be unfair. So, you should avoid that in the future @SlySniper.

As for the battle itself, it was standard infantry fire and manoeuvre, one fire team moves, the other covers. Platoon MMG's were providing over-watch. TOW was used to destroy enemy HQ's and that nasty Metis position. Snipers destroyed a squad each. Humvees were great for support, at least the .50 cal one, cause I didn't get much chance to use Mk. 19 one (near miss from the ATGM knocked them out, without killing the crew...).

As the end of the match approached, my casualties started to mount. I am not yet sure if it was from my mistakes or my opponents actions (probably both).

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
@SlySniper How did I get 100 points?! I really thought my performance would net me mediocre results, at best...

Anyways, from the briefing image I was able to locate the enemy mortar battery, but decided not to bombard the area because it would be unfair. So, you should avoid that in the future @SlySniper.

As for the battle itself, it was standard infantry fire and manoeuvre, one fire team moves, the other covers. Platoon MMG's were providing over-watch. TOW was used to destroy enemy HQ's and that nasty Metis position. Snipers destroyed a squad each. Humvees were great for support, at least the .50 cal one, cause I didn't get much chance to use Mk. 19 one (near miss from the ATGM knocked them out, without killing the crew...).

As the end of the match approached, my casualties started to mount. I am not yet sure if it was from my mistakes or my opponents actions (probably both).
Because you got relatively most points. I was also feeling that I fucked up, although I managed to get 3 out of 4 objectives (2 were taken last 3 turns, the 4th was was contested). I tried to target the Metis with my TOW, but it didn't want to area fire. Luckily it was taken out quickly by my MMGs. I was expecting some BTRs or some stuff, so I held back using the TOWs until last turns. Two missed, one managed some suppression.