Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Silent Hunter

Z

Zinzan

Greetings all,

I've played Silent Hunter 1, 2, III, IV & V - modded versions of IV & V are my favourites - but it's been a while since I played any.

Love the long game of submarine warfare - patrolling, chasing, maneuvering, firing & then getting the hell out. (Well I occasionally survived contact with the enemy)

Yeah, I loved the fact that all these games really captured the idea of warfare being "long periods of boredom punctuated by minutes of sheer terror" (probably not quite the correct quote).

Big SH series fun here since SH3. Currently I m playing long campaign in SH 5 The Wolves of Steel Mod. I started at begining of war and atm I m hunting artic convoys in mid 1942 (almost 1 000 000 BRT).

I spent way too many hours with SH. And have read quite extensively about the U-Boat campaign and, in particular, autobiographical accounts of service in the U-Boats.
In my younger days also covered the allied perspective - eg MacIntyre - U-Boat Killers, Malta Convoys etc.

Deep Water Studios have had the good sense to listen to the guys over at Sub Sim. I think their scope was much lower before they contacted the Sub Sim guys, so, fingers crossed I'm looking forward to UBOOT (I supported the Kickstarter campaign) which was scheduled for September this year, but is probably going to be later.

I spent way too many hours with SH. And have read quite extensively about the U-Boat campaign and, in particular, autobiographical accounts of service in the U-Boats.
In my younger days also covered the allied perspective - eg MacIntyre - U-Boat Killers, Malta Convoys etc.

Deep Water Studios have had the good sense to listen to the guys over at Sub Sim. I think their scope was much lower before they contacted the Sub Sim guys, so, fingers crossed I'm looking forward to UBOOT (I supported the Kickstarter campaign) which was scheduled for September this year, but is probably going to be later.
Its on my wish list :) but I guess it will be more arcade game than simulator.

Ahh, Silent Hunter is an amazing series. I posted a year or two long AAR on mTk's original "Prodigy Exiles" forum. It made for entertaining reading, ask Terry. Played with the GWX mod. Started in '39, got sunk in '44 by getting cocky and trying to penetrate the Irish Sea. Check that, I got into the Irish Sea, just didn't make it back out. Measured, squared up and sunk by three RN DD's. It was a helluva run and I sank 785,000 ton of shipping in 5 game years. Best kill, a heavy cruiser with a 4 torpedo spread from extreme long range, was part of a 4 ship TF making a high speed run to Gibraltar off Portugal.

Started a SH IV campaign and began an AAR on my "Prodigy Exiles 2 Redux" forum...finished the first war patrol but not updated the AAR. Am I feeling my writing muse mTk? Maybe I'll move it over here and share how I won the Navy Cross on my first war patrol...and only used four torpedoes to do it...

PS> Most memorable kill was in "Aces of the Deep"... Sank the Queen Mary as she was making a high speed run from US with troops, off Irish Coast, North entrance to the Irish Sea.

SS is still available on Steam! Had it back in the day as well.

Oh, my! Memory lane. This may have been my first computer war game. I was stunned by how I didn't need to try to find another grognard to be able to play a war game. Wore this baby out on my Apple 2e as well. SSI also did a Gettysburg game, but even I had to admit that one wasn't very good.
Hey @mTk did you ever play any "Steel Panthers" another good SSI game for PC's

I would love to play Silent Hunter with very realistic navigation and weather. Use map tools, a time piece, some tables and a sextant to locate the vessels position and map out a course with the tools. And when I finally located a target be able to compute the distance to target using a ship recognition reference book (with a mast ht), the graduations on the scope and little trig to calculate a range.

I tried SH5. But I have not been able to get the mods working. Perhaps SH4 will work and is less buggy.

the-german-world-war-ii-63333.jpg

It's a shame SH5 is an unsalvageable trash fire at its core because it has all the cool realism features like not being able to see your own exact location, the attack disc and RAOBF, proper stadimeter and the sweet Enigma recreation.
Oh well, all you really need is a hydrophone and a stopwatch.

I've not personally tried 4 but it's on the same engine as 3 so it should work just fine. Both games were (almost) perfectly playable at release and the modding community has done wonders with them.

Back