Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Snake Puffs

Gunner

FGM Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
From "The Daily Chatter" a world news email I receive through my newspaper subscription.

Under “Discoveries” at the end of the email are unique and interesting articles.

This one is an eye opener so I thought I’d share….

“Too much meat isn’t good for the planet or for human health, researchers say, so the hunt is on for alternatives.
Ostriches, alligators and insects have been sneaking their way onto menus.
Now, a recent study has proposed that snake meat could be a sustainable replacement for beef and poultry, Science Alert reported.
An international team of researchers looked into the feasibility of farming pythons on a commercial scale and the environmental impact such a practice would have.
Their research focused on two python species – Malayopython reticulatus and Python bivittatus – reared in farms in Thailand and Vietnam for a year before being humanely killed.
Their findings were promising: Unlike normal livestock, pythons grew rapidly and yielded a good amount of meat even during periods of fasting.
The team explained that the ratio of food consumed versus the meat produced was 1.2 in pythons, while in salmon and poultry the ratios were 1.5 and 2.8, respectively. Beef was 10.0.
A lower ratio number means greater efficiency, which suggests that “it is biologically and economically feasible to breed and raise pythons in captive production facilities for commercial trade,” they wrote.
They added that because snakes can fast for months without losing much body mass, this means that they consume fewer resources such as food and water.
Still, the study found that feeding snakes can be labor intensive and it’s unclear how this practice would work on an industrial scale.
And then there’s the question of taste and preference – although the researchers suggested that the reptile meat tastes like chicken and it’s low in fat, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation added.
“Coupled with the general fear humans have toward snakes, it may be some time before the agricultural potential of pythons is realized at the global scale,” the authors noted.”

At home we say no to fish. So imagine what we could give our opinion about reptiles, insects, etc.
We are very carnivorous (I actually prefer chicken) but meat takes the lead, far and away.
This is not opinion, just data:
In this country, its inhabitants consume almost 47 kg of beef per person per year, the largest amount of any country in the UN database.

In this country, its inhabitants consume almost 47 kg of beef per person per year, the largest amount of any country in the UN database.

Yes indeed, the Argentinian's do like their meats.

This is on the menu at a local Argentinian restaurant:

PARRILLADA DEL SUR FOR TWO
Mixed grill platter, shell steak, ribeye, medallions of filet mignon, rack of lamb, skirt steak and Argentinian sausage complimented with chimichurri sauce

Or for the adventurous

PARRILLADA TANGO ESPECIAL
mixed grilled platter with short ribs, shell steak, argentinian sausage, morcilla, sweetbreads, pork chop, pamplona (stuffed rolled chicken and wrapped in bacon) and beef kidney. complement with chimichurri.

And like you say Ted, Steak is #1 but I do like some oysters and a proper lobster roll now and then.
;)

Last edited:
Back