Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Sounds suddenly stop working in CMBS

Grunter II

FGM Private
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I am in the middle of a PBEM game and the all sounds in CMBS have stopped, including the openning video sounds. I have all the titles, and the rest work fine. I have even copied over the intro video file from a working game to the data file in CMBS, and it still does nothing. Do I have to reinstall CMBS? Do I have to back up my save games? My ver of CMBS is ver2.16 engine 4. Do I have to reinstall my mods?

is it something simple ... did u turn it off using a hotkey without realizing it

I wish it were just that. You know the orchestra/choir swell that starts on the opening screen? Even that is silent.
I have gone to the battlefront.com helpsite and put in a ticket. I looked up sound problems on FAQ and it mentioned a shift + S fix for the hotkey in game. Of course, that is wrong because the hotkey is ALT + S, but I have tried both. I have turned the music off/on and sound off/on on the setup page and rebooted the game heaps, but still no joy.
Inside the install folder of the game itself is a small video file that has the startup screen with choir/orchestra swell. I have swapped that out with other vid files, which I know work on my other CM games, and nothing. I am dreading a reinstall. It means I will have to reinstall the mods I like, and re add the game to CMHelper to get my PBEM games running again.
Just as that mirror match is approaching a rather spicy finale.
1st world problems, eh?

I wish it were just that. You know the orchestra/choir swell that starts on the opening screen? Even that is silent.
I have gone to the battlefront.com helpsite and put in a ticket. I looked up sound problems on FAQ and it mentioned a shift + S fix for the hotkey in game. Of course, that is wrong because the hotkey is ALT + S, but I have tried both. I have turned the music off/on and sound off/on on the setup page and rebooted the game heaps, but still no joy.
Inside the install folder of the game itself is a small video file that has the startup screen with choir/orchestra swell. I have swapped that out with other vid files, which I know work on my other CM games, and nothing. I am dreading a reinstall. It means I will have to reinstall the mods I like, and re add the game to CMHelper to get my PBEM games running again.
Just as that mirror match is approaching a rather spicy finale.
1st world problems, eh?
it is a first world problem.... but the odd time or 2 i have had problems with one of my CM games it almost cause a nervious breakdown.....

never had that sound problem before but the other ones i have have rebooting my computer fixed... which is good because that is the limit of my tech skills

My copy of CMSF2 does this.

I restart the game and the problem goes away most of the time. If it doesn't, I restart my computer.

It is annoying, to be sure.

I have recently had a very bad experience where I have lost sound for CMBS. All of my other titles worked just fine. I am happy to say that I have found and rectified the problem, after about a week of reinstalling and gremlin hunting. It turned out to be a missing file called tempfile.tmp in C:\Users\User\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Black Sea folder. I copied it from C:\Users\User\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Cold War, and it started making noises again. If you have this same problem ever, this may be the magic fix.

Back