Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

SP mission recommendation: Hunter Six!

Bullman

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently stumbled on to what I believe to be one of the best SP missions (plays out more like a campaign however) I have seen made for ArmA3.

It is called "Hunter Six: Special Operations Unit" and is available here: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26759 or find it in the Stream Workshop (however be aware of the save bug if you get it from there!)

Description:
Hunter Six: Special Operation Unit is a Single Player open map Campaign set in 2016 on Altis. The main idea is not to copy a linear Call of Duty campaign style, but instead to focus on the best features that ArmA series offers.

The campaign offers a fully randomized open map campaign with two main objectives: locate and rescue the hostages and locate and eliminate the leader of the rebels. The decisions how to reach the goals are fully up to the player. Each playthrough will also offer a different objectives path to collect the intel on the main targets locations. The content is packed within one dynamic SP mission.

Story Background:
The Greek Debt Crisis that has begun in 2009 is still ongoing. Big national budget cuts approved by the parliament in 2014 have led to huge demonstrations and riots all over the country.

In 2015, a separatist formation called Dorean Valkania has been established. Their main goal was to separate Greece from the European Union, the main source of their problems. The support for Dorean Valkania grows very fast among the frustrated Greek population and this leads to another riots and bloody clash with the police. When the Greek parliament decides to use a brutal military force to put down the rebellion, Dorean Valkania goes underground and declares an open war on the present authorities.

In 2016 the whole country is destabilized due to ongoing incidents and fights on the streets. Valkania is growing and the amount of bloody encounters increases month by month, so the Greek parliament officially ask the NATO forces for the assistance as they feel the situation is getting out of their hands.

In May 2016, CIA loses their contact with two of their agents on Altis, whose assignment was to track down the rebel leader - codename Messiah.

2 weeks later, a Navy Special Operations Unit - Hunter Six, led by Lt. John “Daddy” Barnes, has been sent into the operation area on Altis, with two main objectives:
locate and rescue the two missing CIA agents
track down and eliminate the rebel leader codename Messiah

Features:
  • open world, fully randomized mini campaign (each playthrough is a different scenario)
  • teammates level up system increases their combat skill
  • teammates individual perks have an actual influence on your team
  • teammates fatigue system (operators need to get back to the base and rest)
  • talk to your teammates to learn facts from their personal life
  • teammates permadeath
  • squad selection, medal & ribbon awards and a squad statistics screen
  • a reputation system that verifies if the locals are going to help you or join the rebels
  • dynamic day/night cycle with sleeping (skip time) option
  • new Transport and Close Air Support system via radio
  • interview the locals, gather intel and plan your next move against the rebels
  • search bodies to collect intel

What is really clever is the way it is so continuous and time constrained and how it has elements of RPG.

Give it a go and post back your thoughts

No mods are needed.

Downloaded and looks great. Will be definitely taking a closer look soon. Will test out Black Rain as well at the same time. 'Tactical View' in SP to order squad members around. Oh yes please.

Looks good with some cool RPG elements. The friendly AI is a chore to work with at best and killed my interest in the mission. If this was multiplayer it would be outstanding.

The friendly AI is a chore to work with at best and killed my interest in the mission.

Hi Septic, <<< (Lol! I corrected the typo!)

The AI in this scenario/campaign is just the regular ArmA3 AI of course. If you are not used to controlling them, then things could be much harder/difficult trying to control them.

I actually use voice activated commands for them to select/assign groups and give orders. Quite effective once you get it working.

This might be useful if you haven't seen it before:

I typically move around the map in two vehicles....those HMG and GMG four wheel drives. So most of the time I am controlling just two units (I typically don't do the driving).

If however I have reason to deploy/command units as infantry, I try not to use/command any more than say 5-7 AI, or three assigned teams. Typically half my units are stationary providing over-watch anyway so when I am moving dynamically I minimise the number of units that are actually moving.

Anyway, there is a bit of an art to controlling AI efficiently. I have spent quite some time at it and find they excel in some things (eg. spotting enemy) but can be annoying in other ways.
eg. If you load a yourself in to a vehicle and assign an AI as driver (like I normally do) then give it a MOVE TO order, the AI will move there of course, but upon arrival, if you dismount the vehicle, the AI driver will be under the RETURN TO FORMATION order and will follow you around where ever you go. Several times I have been bumped in to/run over/killed by the AI driver when I have dismounted from a vehicle and begun to move away. Can be annoying having to remember every time to give the AI driver a STOP command every time you dismount if you don't want them to follow you, which is typically always!

AI vehicle path finding for AI can be problematic is some situations....typically when terrain that features rocks and/or those low lying rock walls you see in fields, or when you ask it to enter steep/hilly terrain (it may refuse to move one it actually gets there). The AI can get stuck on them or smash up their tyres.

Typically the way to deal with that is to:

1. Inspect the vehicle for damage and have it repaired by a REPAIRMAN.
2. Give it an alternate move order that potentially will disengage it from the blocking terrain
3. Failing that, get in as driver yourself and try to dislodge the vehicle.
4. Failing that, get in another vehicle and literally ram the stuck vehicle with it until it dislodges itself from the terrain it is stuck on. Invariable you will probably need to repair both vehicles after that.

I actually like controlling the AI effectively, so much so I look forward to playing PvP with another player where we both are able to utilise/control AI units against each other.
If anyone would like to try this, please let me know.

Bull

Last edited:
Mission looks good. Added to my list to play in the future. If you enjoy the whole open world/dynamic mission experience, you should check out Pilgrimage: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=24665 It's also an entrant in the MANW contest. It took me awhile to finish due to having to restart it three or four times after my save games were broken by Arma 3 game updates, but I did finish it and it was a ton of fun.

Last edited:
Back