Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Sturmgewehr 44 (Assault rifle)

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Sturmgewehr 44

wp_2.jpg
The Sturmgewher 44 was the world's first true assault rifle and was introduced by the German army late in WWII. It was the direct inspiration for the Russian AK47, the most prolific gun in the world. If the war had continued another year, the SG44 would have replaced every other rifle, ligh machine gun, and submachine gun in the Wehrmacht, including the antique Karabiner 98k and anemic MP38.
The SG44 was revolutionary in that it combined the best elements of both rifles and submachine guns. It fired an intermediate cartridge that was powerful enough to hit targets accurately at long ranges, yet not so overwhelming that automatic fire became impossible.
The SG44 was originally called the Maschinenpistol 43, but when Hitler cancelled the MP43 project for dubious reasons, its designers were so confident in its benefits, they changed the name and secretly continued research.
The assault rifle proved an invaluable weapon, especially on the Eastern front, where it was first deployed. A properly trained soldier with an SG44 had a greatly improved tactical repertoire, in that he could effectively engage targets at long range across open terrain, or in close range urban fighting, as well as provide cover fire in all situations as a machine gun role.
The wisdom of the assault rifle concept has been born out in that, with the exception of a few specialized positions such as the sniper, virtually every soldier in every army today carries a descendent of the SG44.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i watched the second one a while back. And noticeded the StG44 's.
Now thats GOOD design. 70+ years later they are still superior as assault weaps in all that pile of guns.

Their weakness now is AMMO. 7.92 is not a common round.
tho
" Photos later surfaced of the Rebels using them in combat. 7.92 mm Kurtz ammunition is reportedly being manufactured by Prvi Partizan"

After a G36. Or an M4. I'd pick the StG44 for sheer reliability. A 7.62+ with excellent handling and weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
German Squads with this Gun in the Combat Mission World are really deadly....

@mTk Here is a link to a screenie with a PzGrenadier Squad with one it in... but if you pick units with the category under 'Formations' set to 'Excellent' you end up with a few of these in certain squads... mostly Waffen SS PzGrenadiers, Pioneers, and some others.... but when you are playing you can here that gun going off and causing damage... It is listed as an MP44 but if you look in the Manual it is stated as a StG44....

Link

Reactions: mTk
The Panzer Brigades (where you can find the funny organised Sturm Battalions) were active on the Western Front from September 1944 onwards. Unsure if they were on the Eastern Front in September and therefore appear in CMRT.

@mTk Here is a link to a screenie with a PzGrenadier Squad with one it in... but if you pick units with the category under 'Formations' set to 'Excellent' you end up with a few of these in certain squads... mostly Waffen SS PzGrenadiers, Pioneers, and some others.... but when you are playing you can here that gun going off and causing damage... It is listed as an MP44 but if you look in the Manual it is stated as a StG44....

Link
I was always wandering seting to 'excellent' what does it exactly change in unit equipment ?

So can someone put together a battle of a platoon of Sturn '44's v. Russian SMG's pls?
Sort of.

My mistake earlier, double checked the books when I got home from work, (don't answer history questions in the office during your lunch break), the Panzer Brigades did operate on the Eastern Front within the timeframe of CMRT. (Army Group North defending the Baltic states from late August). However, they don't appear to be included within the CMRT title as of yet. So... this is what happens when you line a platoon of them up against a stock standard equivalent US Rifle Platoon in October 1944. :D

If I had to hazard a guess, a fight between a Soviet SMG Platoon and one of these bad boys will come down to two things:
- Who gets first shot off. (As you can see, suppression is achieved almost immediately)
- Range between targets as I think the STG44's will have a slight edge over the Soviet SMG platoons in that department.

I was always wandering seting to 'excellent' what does it exactly change in unit equipment ?

Extra special weapons, more grenades, more explosives, bassicly more of everything :D

Sort of.

My mistake earlier, double checked the books when I got home from work, (don't answer history questions in the office during your lunch break), the Panzer Brigades did operate on the Eastern Front within the timeframe of CMRT. (Army Group North defending the Baltic states from late August). However, they don't appear to be included within the CMRT title as of yet. So... this is what happens when you line a platoon of them up against a stock standard equivalent US Rifle Platoon in October 1944. :D

If I had to hazard a guess, a fight between a Soviet SMG Platoon and one of these bad boys will come down to two things:
- Who gets first shot off. (As you can see, suppression is achieved almost immediately)
- Range between targets as I think the STG44's will have a slight edge over the Soviet SMG platoons in that department.

Calibre and damage would make the Stg44 beter but rate of fire and ammo makes the pdsh41 deadly.

Back