Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

SUNDAY 26TH ARMA3 SESSION DISCUSSION

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ok guys....

Ive been thinking a lot about how we are going to proceed with these sessions and recently put together with Ithikials assistance the ARMA3 FGM Guidelines. I think these are a solid set of foundations to which we can all agree will make our playing of ARMA3 more enjoyable.

Now, recently things have become a bit messy with no real co-ordination between us and a lot of wasted time hanging around the dedicated server and discussing mods and ACRE and such like.

Wasted time that a lot of us full time working guys don't have to waste.

Im making the decision to strip things back... we are trying to run before we can walk or even crawl.

My previous discussion about PlayWithSix can be disregarded for now. We will go back to playing ARMA3 with only these 3 mods enabled. This will make it easier for everyone to be on the same page in relation to what we have running.

The mods we do need in PlayWithSix are...

CBA_A3 - The community base add ons.
The Map Pack [EDIT : NO LONGER REQUIRED DUE TO ISSUES WITH SINGLE PLAYER]
MCC_Sandbox

The BlastCore GFX mod and JSR2 Sound mod are optional.

That is it.

ACRE and TeamSpeak are something we will look into getting running on our server in the near future but we really need someone who knows what they are doing to walk us through this.

@Spear strip the missions of the ftp section as its cluttered and leave NATO Patrol Ops for guys to play during the week and at the weekends we will add 2 missions for the Sunday games... one for over 6 and one for under 6 players.

@Septic Limb Im real busy with work this evening so can you do the needful and source the missions for us for tomorrow.

Sundays are when we take it serious to an extent and pull it together so we all have fun. By following the previously posted guidelines and todays pointers we should be good to go straight into game tomorrow.

Ensure you have your PlayWithSix updated and are ONLY running these 3 mods. Im looking forward to getting back into this and hopefully making missions for us again. See you guys tomorrow.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was in the process of writing a post voicing my concerns on how things have been handled recently, but this addresses most of my concerns. Part of the fun of the "early days" before the dedi was being able to just jump in and play and not deal with all the mod hassle. Still not a fan of having a map pack that is a 5 gig download but causes problems, e.g. messing up single player save games across the board.

Bootie said:
@Spear strip the missions of the ftp section as its cluttered and leave NATO Patrol Ops for guys to play during the week and at the weekends we will add 2 missions for the Sunday games... one for over 6 and one for under 6 players.

Not trying to be a dick here, but really? Totally unnecessary imo. The server isn't that cluttered to be deleting every single mission but NATO Patrol Ops. What on earth is so wrong with having choices for players? The AAF and CSAT versions of Patrol Ops are also fun, as is the DWS. You certainly like to swing between extremes; seems like it's either balls to the wall or cut the fuel lines. Can't we have some middle ground? Good grief.

Finally, are we not allowed to talk about various Arma III topics in the Arma III forum anymore? It seems like all our threads get moved to the musket room these days.

Anyway, I'm planning on attending tomorrow morning and am looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Finally, are we not allowed to talk about various Arma III topics in the Arma III forum anymore? It seems like all our threads get moved to the musket room these days.

I agree, there's concerns about the map pack mod I only posted today are already gone. That's what a forum is for. I rarely visit the musket room, just the CMBN/FI & ARMA forums as there the games I play.

Still not a fan of having a map pack that is a 5 gig download but causes problems, e.g. messing up single player save games across the board.

I wasn't aware it caused saved game issues in single player I guess we can leave out the map packs. No biggie.

Not trying to be a dick here, but really? Totally unnecessary imo. The server isn't that cluttered to be deleting every single mission but NATO Patrol Ops. The AAF and CSAT versions of Patrol Ops are also fun, as is the DWS.

I have yet to see another mission being played regularly outwith NATO Patrol Ops... when I did change it I always came back a while later to see it changed back to NATO. How often have you changed missions in game....?

You certainly like to swing between extremes; seems like it's either balls to the wall or cut the fuel lines. Can't we have some middle ground? Good grief.

If things aren't working I change it and change it quickly. Folks who have put money into the dedi server have expressed they didn't like the way things were plodding along... in fact they voiced the same concerns you had. Now my way to rectify that is to take us back to where we were then to move forward more slowly and this includes what our paid for dedicated server offers. Over time we will expand what is available mission wise on the server but I wanted to take us back to a time when things were more 'simple'. Now I guess your either on board with that and understand the reasoning or you forsake playing with us because you disagree with that reasoning. I hope you do understand where Im coming from and appreciate what and why Im trying to do here. As a show that Im open to changes regarding potential problems any of my decisions make I will ask @Spear to remove the map pack from the server and will advise it is no longer required in PlayWithSix.

It was an effort by me to keep this area focused... the mods were being discussed across 3 separate threads with answers to one thread being posted on another. I removed them..... I also removed a thread regarding the FFIS (fire fight improvement system) because it was no longer required, I removed Septics initial post about tomorrows session so I could straighten it out with this post and give us a solid topic to discuss the way forward and finally I removed the post about the session on the 24th because it was no longer relevant but left it in the musket room for folk to discuss on and for members not involved with ARMA3 to see what we do.

I agree, there's where things I only posted today are already gone. That's what a forum is for. I rarely visit the musket room, just the CMBN/FI & ARMA forums as there the games I play.

Fair enough... I have put all the moved threads that I deemed no longer relevant back in the ARMA forum.. I expect to see you post on them regularly. :cool:

If you wish someone else to try and get a handle on running the ARMA area push them to the front and I will cede control seeing as it appears Im not doing particularly well.

Good evening gentlemen... I might see you tomorrow.

I'm cool with that, I jumped in on my break a little while ago. All seemed good. Map pack worked nicely too.
Now that it's not needed, typical :)
Why don't folks while playing single player disable the map mod?
Slightly disappointed to lose the fire fight mod, gave us (me) a fighting chance to stay alive more than 5 minutes lol.
hopefully I'll see you guys tomorrow :)

@Bootie I have found three potential missions to run tomorrow. All are available on steam.

Section_5 Takeover
Operation Saint John <---- This mission is put out by TAW ( The Art of War gaming club ) so it should be decent.
Operation Orpheus-Phase 1

I don't know how to upload missions to the server. I will try to contact Spears in the next few days and see if he will show me how.

I have yet to see another mission being played regularly outwith NATO Patrol Ops... when I did change it I always came back a while later to see it changed back to NATO. How often have you changed missions in game....?

Pretty much every time I'm by myself in the dedi. The AAF is my favorite faction in the game, so I'll usually change it to the AAF Patrol Ops and mess around with it. I'll also change it to DWS for some fighting on Stratis.

If things aren't working I change it and change it quickly. Folks who have put money into the dedi server have expressed they didn't like the way things were plodding along... in fact they voiced the same concerns you had. Now my way to rectify that is to take us back to where we were then to move forward more slowly and this includes what our paid for dedicated server offers. Over time we will expand what is available mission wise on the server but I wanted to take us back to a time when things were more 'simple'. Now I guess your either on board with that and understand the reasoning or you forsake playing with us because you disagree with that reasoning. I hope you do understand where Im coming from and appreciate what and why Im trying to do here. As a show that Im open to changes regarding potential problems any of my decisions make I will ask @Spear to remove the map pack from the server and will advise it is no longer required in PlayWithSix.

There's a world of difference between mods and missions. You don't get kicked from the server if you don't have whatever mission is running. You just download it automatically. With mods, you can get kicked if you don't have just the right cocktail. I think it was a great move to simplify the mod use. I'm not anti-mod by any means, but I do think they need to be stable with little to no development occurring and properly vetted and tested by those FGM Arma members who select them. However, I do question the move to gut our mission selection in the name of simplicity, when the amount of missions is really a non-issue since people don't have to hunt around for them and make sure they have the right version. That's what my statement about the extremes you move between was about. It was like there was no consideration given to what really needed to be streamlined and what could stay as is. It seemed like a burn the house down approach.

Speaking of funding for the server, will there be a link posted where the rest of us can donate?

@Bootie, no reflection on you're decisions, but if you want to step down I'll volunteer to cover the running/admin until someone else wants to take a lead role. I originally joined for Combat Mission but I'm really enjoying the FGM sessions in ARMA and would like to ensure it keeps going.

Sorry to hear your not going to play anymore Bootie hope you will reconsider sometime in the future. Hope it wasn't anything I said or did, if so then I apologise.

The session was good fun for me thanks to all who attended.
1st mission (take over stratis) seemed to be going good we cleared the 1st town with over 100 kills. Then at the next waypoint 40 civilians seemed to be holding a rave party in an abandoned warehouse which lagged everyone out especially when they all started screaming and running away when the shooting started. Not sure if that was supposed to be part of the mission or a bug... We had no choice but to switch missions.

2nd mission (escape from Altis) went well under the excellent command of Septic and we managed to secure transport after our 1st vehicle unfortunately exploded, and made it successfully to the 1st airstrip only to find it had been converted into an army motor pool complete with a full battalion of troops and not a single aircraft in sight. This kinda demoralised us some what and we called an end to operation.

Sorry to hear your not going to play anymore Bootie hope you will reconsider sometime in the future. Hope it wasn't anything I said or did, if so then I apologise.

No, nothing you said or did... just too many cooks I guess and to be honest I don't know enough about servers or such like so I shall revert to running my own wee missions and whatnot and let you more experienced guys get together on the servers.

The session was good fun for me thanks to all who attended.
2nd mission (escape from Altis) went well under the excellent command of Septic and we managed to secure transport after our 1st vehicle unfortunately exploded, and made it successfully to the 1st airstrip only to find it had been converted into an army motor pool complete with a full battalion of troops and not a single aircraft in sight. This kinda demoralised us some what and we called an end to operation.

Nope. Once you logged out Spear kept going. No enemy contacts en route to the commercial airport in the middle of the map. Septic and Double D logged back in later and after a brief firefight we pinched a CSAT gunship right from under their noses. ;)

Personally impressed I lasted the whole thing, even if I did suffer eight deaths. :rolleyes:

Here's a screenie of the first mission we played on Sunday. I was lookinf through this scope and saw a hell of a lot of heat signatures. Thinking they where OPFOR I let lose with the MG not knowing they where mostly civies.

2014-01-26_00001_zpsb2f78313.jpg

I'm not sure who I should credit with this kill, please stand up if who ever you are. One of the guys shot down a chopper with an jeep mounted MG, kudos.
Below is what was left of it.

2014-01-26_00002_zpsbff6d8eb.jpg

I really enjoyed the 'Escape from Atlis' mission. Would love to play it again some time.

The server is in Spear's name, together with TS the cost is $275 per year. You can contribute to the running costs by donating to the FGM club funds via the front page and Bootie will forward this to Spear on a montly schedule or you can PM Spear directly and contribute via PayPal.

Back