Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Tanks on fire.

K

Kacper

To Combat mission or anyone else that cares.

Why doesn't vehicle smoke blow with the wind? Fine line between fun gameplay and realism maybe? but I wish maybe on the hardest setting the realism got turned up to. like smoke from burned-out tanks smoke obscuring vision if the wind blows it in your way, or gun jams. remember gun jams in the cmx1. fires that spread. I know the developers are worried about players gaming things. Maybe if it was all a difficulty setting, if you like it you turn it on if you don't you turn it off. please combat mission.

I don't see much of a difference between elite and iron, I play on iron just in case there is something under the hood but the boost in "realism" or soft factors maybe would be nice on iron.

In CM1 guns would jam especially if were cold.
They always seemed to jam on me and never my opponent. ;)
In Squad Leader a gun would jam or even break for good if you rolled a 12.
Actually, now that I'm thinking about it I'm glad they don't jam anymore. (Ha!)

Man, I liked the jams. I also loved that spotting wasn't always 100% accurate in cm1 some times that tiger would turn into a pz4 sometimes the pz4 into a king tiger. i liked that

There is alot that can be done for the series. It would be wildly more sucessful if it could keep up in the graphics department too.
I don't mind the graphic for the amount of stuff that is on-screen at one time I think it beats some AAA games the problem is draw distance. I HATE! looking at a hill in the distance thinking "ill have good hull-down visibility from it" just to get there and have grass that is 6 feet high and my tank exposed down to its tracks because of it.

ps. the second thing that drives me crazy is an immobilized tank lost for the rest of a CAMPAIGN they can fix the track or pull it out of the mud if you have a total victory COME ON!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why doesn't vehicle smoke blow with the wind? Fine line between fun gameplay and realism maybe? but I wish maybe on the hardest setting the realism got turned up to. like smoke from burned-out tanks smoke obscuring vision if the wind blows it in your way
I'm happy I'm not the only one thinking about this. Smoke from burning vehicles is poorly modelled in this game, I think. It shouldn't rise straight up in the air unless it's a day without wind. But in game, even quite strong winds only make the smoke column bend a bit to one side.

I'm happy I'm not the only one thinking about this. Smoke from burning vehicles is poorly modelled in this game, I think. It shouldn't rise straight up in the air unless it's a day without wind. But in game, even quite strong winds only make the smoke column bend a bit to one side.
i don't think it's a case of bad sim i think it's a case of gameplay. they don't want that as a factor just like they said they don't want fire to spread because people can game it. I just wish it was up to me like on iron turn all that stuff on jams, fire sim, smoke, etc.

i don't think it's a case of bad sim i think it's a case of gameplay. they don't want that as a factor just like they said they don't want fire to spread because people can game it. I just wish it was up to me like on iron turn all that stuff on jams, fire sim, smoke, etc.
I think both things are a result of lack of engine capability, not gameplay decisions. Fire could be limited simply by making it fizzle quite soon unless you choose bone dry ground and high temperatures.

I think both things are a result of lack of engine capability, not gameplay decisions. Fire could be limited simply by making it fizzle quite soon unless you choose bone dry ground and high temperatures.
that is a shame if its true. but making an engine from nothing on a shoestring budget is still amazing, I guess I should just be happy with what we have, this game is a diamond

In the end, it's all about business strategy. They are content with only producing new content for the existing game, because that's relatively cheap to do. Low risk, high return on investment, even if they sell quite few copies.

Smoke screens and their interaction with the wind are nicely done, in my opinion. So, improving smoke from fires should be possible.
It makes sense that smoke from fires rises up - the air is hot around fires - but yes, those columns all look exactly alike, and they don't look right once you have a few wrecks on the map.

Smoke screens and their interaction with the wind are nicely done, in my opinion. So, improving smoke from fires should be possible.
It makes sense that smoke from fires rises up - the air is hot around fires - but yes, those columns all look exactly alike, and they don't look right once you have a few wrecks on the map.
Hot air and smoke does of course rise, but only on near windless days. Just a bit of wind, and the smoke goes more horizontally.
Also, on windy days, the wind is rarely ever constant from one direction. There are gusts and changes of direction. Etc.

It's just one of many many little things that could be tweaked and improved. I'm not saying it's a bad game at all - just that it could be so much better if they had a bit of ambition for it.

Yes - it goes up and with the wind :) Unlike in CM, where it just goes up.
Anyway, they announced they are working on a new version of the engine, perhaps they will surprise us.

Ambition is a good word. Its crazy to me how much work the fans do for the game. in my case, I think the only thing I have from the devs is base code and mesh all the visuals are from modes.
Anyway, they announced they are working on a new version of the engine, perhaps they will surprise us.
Oh how amazing that would be great to have some improvements. not looking forward to rebuying everything again:(

Oh how amazing that would be great to have some improvements. not looking forward to rebuying everything again
You won't lose anything. It's not a fundamentally new engine they are working on, just a minor upgrade. They'll likely charge you 10 dollars for upgrading each game.

its either a great business model or we are all saps. the game you never stop buying:) they should just change to a subscription model and have it done with

its either a great business model or we are all saps. the game you never stop buying:) they should just change to a subscription model and have it done with
I stopped buying. And I'm actually a big fan. Just can't really see any reason to keep buying essentially the same game.

I stopped buying. And I'm actually a big fan. Just can't really see any reason to keep buying essentially the same game.
I just love it too much and there are no other games out there like it. i think it's the best game out there so I just buy to support them so they can keep making more.

Back