Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

tanks with 9 lives

K

Kacper

I only really see this happen in the Italian front and I wonder why it happens. I'm talking about tanks that take one, two even as many as 5 penetrations and keep on ticking. It's not the caliber of gun in the later years, well not totally because a Sherman 75 in Italy is the same 75 in Normandy, so is it that the later year's CM starts to model APHE, and in Italy they didn't have those yet?

personally I love it. it gives the game such drama to get that pen be all happy then just see that tank keep going. It's one of the main reasons I want a 1939 CM, to play with those small calibers. but I get why we won't ever get those years.

It seems a bit random if a tank will get knocked out from a penetration or not. I've seen tanks get destroyed from even a "partial penetration" in a place where it should not cause much damage, and at other times, a tank seems like it can survive pretty much anything.

For example, I had a Panther that took a 37mm close-range shot from a Greyhound right into the side turret. Of course the shot penetrated as it should, but strangely none of the two guys in the turret got hurt, and no ammo exploded. Even though the shot would have hit right right where the ammo is stowed. Yet despite apparently not causing any damage, the tank still got knocked out.

In another case, I saw a Panther penetrate a US tank destroyer repeatedly through the front turret, to no effect.

So what I'm saying here is that the damage modelling of the game is not that advanced. It does a pretty good job most times, but it's more than 10 years old and not on the same level as modern games.

Last edited:
Another factor you have to keep in mind is you don't have perfect information on enemy tanks. So, if its not burning you don't know the moment it is destroyed and your units will keep treating it as live until they can confirm it is destroyed. To really be sure if the enemy tank is live or not you need see it do something. If it is not moving or firing you don't know for sure if it is live or not. If it's your tank you, obviously, do get to know exactly when it dies.

If visibility is not perfect you can have a tank getting hit multiple times and keep begin treated as a live even though it is long dead. Your guys just don't know yet.

It seems a bit random if a tank will get knocked out from a penetration or not. I've seen tanks get destroyed from even a "partial penetration" in a place where it should not cause much damage, and at other times, a tank seems like it can survive pretty much anything.

For example, I had a Panther that took a 37mm close-range shot from a Greyhound right into the side turret. Of course the shot penetrated as it should, but strangely none of the two guys in the turret got hurt, and no ammo exploded. Even though the shot would have hit right right where the ammo is stowed. Yet despite apparently not causing any damage, the tank still got knocked out.

In another case, I saw a Panther penetrate a US tank destroyer repeatedly through the front turret, to no effect.

So what I'm saying here is that the damage modelling of the game is not that advanced. It does a pretty good job most times, but it's more than 10 years old and not on the same level as modern games.
I made the same observations. Tanks can be knocked out by partial penetrations, even though they cause no damage to any systems or casualties to the crew.
In my opinion, there is no simulation of post-penetration effects. Only probabilities that depend on the remaining energy of the shell after it penetrated, explosive filler, the type of the vehicle and the general location of the hit (e.g. hull vs turret). The game rolls dice to see if any crew was hit, a system was damaged, the vehicle destroyed, set on fire.
That's what it looks like to me. It is simple but for the most part, it does the job.

Also consider the crew quality of the vehicle, a high quality crew will suppress far less easily and will absorb losses and injuries much better than low morale conscripts who will probably bail at the first sign of being shot at.

the thing is it happens a lot in Italy an in Europe everything exploded in a fire ball

Back