Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Target Armor Arc with Halftrack targets?

Shepherd74

FGM New Member
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Does target armor arc work for targeting halftracks with AT guns on them? Wolfsbane, if you are reading this I am absolutely asking for a friend. :) Thanks in advance anyone who knows. I've been trying to search the forums and have come up blank. The rulebook says "armored targets like tanks" which is not incredibly helpful to me.

I think armor arch targets anything with wheels. as in if it's not a guy on two legs it's shot at. that's why if you want to ambush a tank and don't want to give your position away on a scout car you put down a 10m fire arch.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to go with that and hope my boys don't get hosed!

No, I just tested, it literally has to be armored. Trucks, Kübelwagen and unarmored halftracks do not trigger it.

Not even unarmored halftracks with FlaK mounted. So you can park them inside the enemy armor arc just fine :)

Kacper is right. Target armor arc really should be called "target vehicle arc".

Edit since Redwolf ninja'd me:
Really? I remember my at-guns getting fucked on couple of occasions since they were reavealed by firing on jeeps and the like even though they got armor arcs.

Well... I appreciate the replies guys. My turn is in. I’ll edit this thread tomorrow and let you all know if my Italians hold their fire or not.

Remember that the TacAI will sometimes override your orders, you can tell your guys to hold a covered arc, but if they're feeling trigger happy they might just decide to fire off a few rounds anyway.

Conversely, some will hold a cover arc and ignore the tank looking at them from just outside the arc, even to their own destruction. :rolleyes:

IIRC, crew quality has a lot to do with this.

Redwolf is right I think.

So for my next two turns I maintained target armor arcs around the area where Wolfsbane's halftracks were. There was a regular halftrack with the 30 cals on the front and back and the AT halftrack. I had two light Italian tanks. While I don't think my guys got LOS on the AT halftrack the other one parked and spent a full minute spraying my tank with machinegun fire. My tank had a solid spot on him for a full minute and declined to fire. So... maybe it doesn't work? Or perhaps the AI just judged that particular halftrack not a threat?

I had a tactic I would use against my father in Steel Panthers (when I was much younger) of driving jeeps and trucks into his overwatch to draw fire. I wonder if they are trying to prevent that.

Unfortunately Wolfsbane has killed half of the Italians in Sicily in this mission now so getting further data may be difficult. :)

I had a tactic I would use against my father in Steel Panthers (when I was much younger) of driving jeeps and trucks into his overwatch to draw fire. I wonder if they are trying to prevent that.
I've encountered this tactic in PBEM a few times. It's a bit gamey I think, but then again it's easily countered. Also, there are better uses for the driver(s) then kamikaze tactics.

I agree it's gamey. In my defense I was probably fifteen at the time. :) All the phantom trucks in the world wouldn't have saved me from the butt whooping Wolfsbane and his Jedi Infantry are unleashing on my Italians though.

It wasn't directed at you, just an observation in general. All is fair in war and love and all.

The scenario editor is perfect for testing things like this. Not sure about Cover Armor Arc? Build a firing range and add some units and test it out. I do it all the time to test various things I'm not sure of.

My experience agrees with @Redwolf's conclusions here. Unfortunately, I still have this weird (and very unhealthy) habit of trying to use Target Armor Arcs to deal with halftracks. I imagine my pixeltankers having a very involved discussion about whether that halftrack with its AT gun turning toward them counts as armored. I guess they're trying so hard to remember how many mm of plate that thing has. So far the halftrack mounted ATG always ends their deliberations, and I never find out what conclusion they will reach.

C'est la guerre?

Back