Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Terminator: Resistance

Put a few hours into this now and think I am out of the tute phase. Like what I see. That's because it is not a frantic FPS.
-
By that I mean there is just your single player avatar. You don't have to recruit, equip, train, and other wise tend to a bunch of whiney squad members. There is just you. Simple.
-
There is some crafting, but it is simple and not distracting, frustrating or time consuming. You gather up a bunch of materials along the way and when you find a crafting table it
will show you crafting recipes available to your level and whether you have enough materials to make anything. Simple.
-
If you've ever played any game from this genre you know how to play this (mostly). Leveling up is a good thing. Simple.
-
It has a real Terminator feel to it. Not the recent movie trash, but the first couple of them when the concept was new and entertaining. That's what this is. Entertaining.
-
The only thing I don't like is the wonky auto save system. It saves when you level up and location changes. That's it. You can't just stop and save whenever you want so you have to
make sure you've set aside enough time to reach a save point before you are forced to exit without a current save. The only time you can make a manual save is if you stumble upon
a computer terminal and that doesn't happen often. This pretty much eliminates scum saving but why should that be a dev's goal? If the player wants to save a lot that should be the
gamer's choice, IMHO. :poop:
-
Anyway, very pleased with what I see so far for the $. This should be a fun ride.

I have a crush on NPC Jennifer.
I'mma hopin' to "score!"
---
nRnYUjV.jpg

---

Problem. Yeah, it's another "me" thingie.
I'm out of the tute and starting some basic quests.
Things were going along just fine until I ran into patrols of T-800 terminators. They are just programmed to walk around and kill anything that breathes.
That would be me.
Normally I can deal with that. My current problem is kinetic rounds just bounce off of 'em. And that's all I got.
They got them darn rootin' tootin' plasma rifles and 3-4 hits from those and I'm sent back to do over a lot of stuff I already did because of that crappy save system.
So, atm, all I can do is dodge, crouch and hide every time I detect their approach. I do have this cool vision capability that can detect them at range and through walls, so there's that.
Looking forward to the day I can call plasma mine.
Pay back will be a bitch.

Odd. Ask and ye shall receive.
My current (and only) quest atm requires me to find the leader of the local resistance force and report what I have seen of the new, killer machine. Arnold.
I find the resistance and make my report. They are skeptical w/o further proof. Understandable.
At that point we are ambushed and start running for safety, attacking and fighting a rear guard action at the same time.
"What's odd about that mTk?" Well, glad you asked. As I start to aim my worthless weapon I find in my hands instead, a nice shiny new Plasma I Rifle with 240 rounds. WTF?
Not complaining 'cause it works just fine, but it makes no sense. Writers could just as easily have had the resistance hand me a spare and no questions asked.
Anyway, there follows a running gun fight and everyone can run faster than I. Huh? Why's that? No idea. I am always "Tail end Charlie." Makes no difference as far as I can tell.
The resistance fighters are good. Even Jennifer performs like a veteran. Hmm. They perform so well I doubt I even needed to shoot. I probably could have just run along behind and everything
would have turned out just the same. I might not have gained as much experience, but I don't know about that. I do know it cost me about 1/2 my medkit inventory.
I have no idea where this game is going. Interesting.
---
:shocknaz:I just discovered I wasn't using my <sprint> key and was just sorta strolling along instead of running. Doh!

Last edited:
Some hours later I am sorta figuring out stuff.
First, I managed to up my skill level to be able to use the improved 95 Plasma II rifle. Modding to improve damage dealt and I'm not having much trouble knocking
out most robots on patrol. To take down a base you need to bum rush a gun turret, get behind it and use hacking skills. That will turn it into a friendly gun turret and
so begins the ROFLStomp.
-
I completed the photo-recon mission assigned to me and upon return to base I discovered I had enough money to buy a nice, shiny, new sniper rifle. Oh, baby! Am I
ready to try that one out on long range T-800 targets!
-
Of course, there is always a "me" story.
The recon mission had me going to various locations to take pictures of large, unidentified structures to gain intel on what they are and how to deal with them. I just
learned John Cooper is going to launch a large scale attack soon. So, there I was, snapping pictures and taking names when I ran across one that I just was not allowed
to take its picture. Every time I went to focus it I kept getting a "bad" image. No matter what I tried I just could not make it happen. So, left the designated location for
picture taking and wandered the rubble trying to get closer. (It was then that I learned that even though the terrain map is pretty large there is a LOT of blocking rubble
that makes the map quite linear without making it too obvious.) However, when I got as close as I could I still wasn't able to take a photo at all, now getting the "invalid target"
error message. The only way to take the picture was from the designated location, except I couldn't do that.
-
Hmm. Time to see how YT guys are doing it. Watched a video of some poor schmuck on a PS4 stumble around even worse than me. Except he figured out how to take the
picture w/o any trouble at all. When I tried I started focusing at the bottom and went all the way up to the middle before giving up. Yep. If I'd just kept going up the focusing
cleared about 3/4 of the way up allowing for a "perfect" picture. Embarrassed to note how much time I wasted unable to figure that out on my own. Ecstatic at having that one
done with.
-
Next mission up is a search and rescue, if the party is still alive.
At least Jennifer joined the Resistance too as an official "Scavenger" and I think she likes me.
Could, of course, it could just be my new sniper rifle.:shootero:

Last edited:
Completed the rescue mission without too much difficulty, or further YT research. Lots of shooting. And I learned the tactical deficiencies of the sniper rifle.
It is realistic in the sense that trying to see anything through the scope at ranges less than distant is hopeless. That is a disappointment as I love playing sniper. The problem is
the terrain. For the most part it is all urban and all rubble with shells of building still standing. This means any significant LOS is non-existent. This makes using the sniper rifle
very difficult, if not impossible, most of the time. However, when I do one-shot a T-800 at distance it is still very satisfying, if infrequent.
---
Commander Jessica Baron (more on her later) believes we have a traitor(s) in our midst leaking intel to Skynet, and has sent me out to track down a couple of our recon guys.
They are suspects and she wants me to find out more about them. Getting to them will be hard as the distance is large and filled with bad guys in between. Maybe I can get
some more sniper practice.
---
Commander Baron is a known hard ass by her soldiers, but she showed some signs of soft at the core when we last spoke. I still have my crush on Jennifer, but Jessica...? Oh, my.
Here's what caught my wandering eye:
JE575hP.jpg

---
Here she is in "real life."
A16dSjZ.jpg

So, loaded with plasma rounds, I am off to confront some of our own. This will take awhile.
If you like the genre then I think there is some real gaming value to be had here.

Last edited:
Back