Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Borscht Wars CM Black Sea Campaign

Played around with some unit insignia mod pack ideas for this campaign yesterday... below a Chomsk Armed Forces T-64 Bulat and some BMP-2's bearing the "Black Eagle" insignia of the 1st Tank brigade.

borscht-eagle-brig01b.jpg~original

Some more thoughts over coffee about the rules for this campaign...

223944-untitled-7.jpg

I am picturing it as a turn-based campaign -- that is: one side moves & attacks - we build and resolve CM battles, the other side moves and attacks - we build and resolve CM battles and so forth.

Here a suggested TURN sequence:
(some of these will be handled by the GM)

1. SUPPLY CHECK -- units are checked if they they are cut off and out of supply

2. REINFORCEMENT PHASE -- damaged units receive replacement men and vehicles (if available) -- cannot attack this turn

3. AIR COMBAT PHASE -- both sides assign aircraft to one of 3 missions: a) Air Superiority b) Close Air Support c) Interdiction (attacks on moving columns and artillery) -- (this is done in secret in messages to GM)

3a. AIR BATTLE is played out by GM using dice and combat results tables.

3b. CAS missions are assigned to Ground Unit Battalion HQ's

3c. Interdiction missions are assigned to hexes to attack

4. MOVEMENT PHASE -- attacking player moves all eligible units he choses and also assigns attack helicopter units to Battalion HQ's

4a. Attacking player also may assign RESERVE status to any COMPANY-size unit battlegroups that do not move that turn.

5. GROUND INTERDICTION air attack missions are played out in COMBAT MISSION -- if a moving column or artilery unit moves into or adjacent to a hex with an assigned to an enemy interdiction air unit it comes under air attack.

6. ATTACK PHASE -- attacking player announces attacks

6a. Attacking player assigns artillery, air and attack helicopter support to attacking units (in secret to GM)

6b. Defending player assigns artillery, air and attack helicopter support to defending units (in secret to GM)

7. COMBAT MISSION BATTLE RESOLUTION -- battles are set up by GM and played out.

8. POST-BATTLE retreats and advances

9. EXPLOITATION & RESERVE MOVEMENT PHASE -- any units assigned RESERVE status may now move to HALF their movement allowance. ATTACKER may exploit through a captured hex and the DEFENDER may move up any available reserve units to plug a gap - also at HALF movement rate. (these orders are given to the GM in secret and played out simultaneously on the map by the GM)

10. RESERVE PHASE COMBAT -- if any moving reserve units collide in a hex, they have to fight a MEETING ENGAGEMENT battle (no supporting arty or air units will be involved) -- uncommitted attack helicopters available at the reserve unit's Battalion HQ can be assigned in support.

11. POST-RESERVE-BATTLE retreats and advances

12. NEW UNIT BUILD PHASE -- newly mobilised or constructed units arrive at a designated town/city and are available for the next TURN.

13. ALL AIR UNITS return to base.

14. ATTACKER's remaining RESERVE units that did not perform EXPLOITATION movement are available for DEFENSIVE RESERVE movement during the next TURN.

13609_1_1.jpg

Rinse and repeat for other side.

Comments welcome.

Sounds like a tried tested and true basis for any wargame. It's simple enough to work, complex enough to account for the style of game we all enjoy... excellent plan afaic.

I can see the politics, favour-seeking and gameplaying between each sides overall General and his Commanders being amusing, especially in the 'fight' for reinforcements, arty and air support.... :2charge:

The Reserve rules to allow for immediate exploitation are interesting.

An idea that I've always had is the player that gets to move first (or opt to react to their opponent) on the campaign map is the one who won the most CM battles in the previous campaign turn. The idea being that one side as the strategic momentum/initiative and can dictate the flow of the battle.

The Reserve rules to allow for immediate exploitation are interesting.

An idea that I've always had is the player that gets to move first (or opt to react to their opponent) on the campaign map is the one who won the most CM battles in the previous campaign turn. The idea being that one side as the strategic momentum/initiative and can dictate the flow of the battle.

I toyed with a similar idea -- wasn't sure it could be properly tracked and judged.

As political tensions rise on Borscht, both sides are pictured during army exercises...

Below, recently issued Oplot Tanks in action. They are from the Chomsk Army's first line tank formation, the Chomsk Cavalry Brigade, a regular Tank Battalion Task Group.

cav-brigade001.jpg~original

cav-brigade002.jpg~original

On the Kurgan side, journalists were also allowed to observe the regular army Black Star Brigade during exercises ... T-90 tank in a city street...

black-star-brigade002.jpg~original

...and a column of mechanised infantry at halt in a small village outside of the town of Chelny.

black-star-brigade003.jpg~original

Ok -- results of more recent playtesting: a little too complicated -- need to strip things down quite a bit more.

Also thinking I need to redo the map and expand it a bit with slightly larger hexes -- things get way too crowded once the fighting starts and units & supprt units 7 air support & helos etc get deployed.
Very easy to lose track of what the #$#@# is going on... too much fog of war for even the GM. :D

Screenshot of the test campaign... about 3 turns in.

Borscht-test-screenshot.jpg~original

Ok -- results of more recent playtesting: a little too complicated -- need to strip things down quite a bit more.

Five suggestions (learned the hard way):

1) Have the campaign units a decent starting size and/or limit the number that can be placed in one hex at one time, (forces players to think harder where to place their assets, rather than 'pile in' battles)
2) Don't allow players to come up with their own OOB or switch individual units around between different campaign units;
3) May not be military perfect for the military 'grogs,' but name each campaign unit something simple and unique;
4) Via Odin - For each campaign chit, set up the force in the editor with one file .btt equaling one campaign unit, no matter the size. When it comes to creating a battle simply import each file individually until you have all the necessary forces from both sides before importing that combined file onto the blank map the battle will be fought over. (Air units and support can then be added manually at the tale end);
5) Edit the initial .btt files for each campaign unit for casualties after the CMBS battle;
6) Set up a 'dead unit' level to prevent speed bump battles and annoying OOB that can't be easily done inside the editor. Something like when a campaign unit loses 50% of it's initial starting strength it is auto retired from the front for 'rest and refit.'

Just some ideas I've got in my draft rules. Will post a few extra things in our shared folder for ideas.

Five suggestions (learned the hard way):

1) Have the campaign units a decent starting size and/or limit the number that can be placed in one hex at one time, (forces players to think harder where to place their assets, rather than 'pile in' battles)
2) Don't allow players to come up with their own OOB or switch individual units around between different campaign units;
3) May not be military perfect for the military 'grogs,' but name each campaign unit something simple and unique;
4) Via Odin - For each campaign chit, set up the force in the editor with one file .btt equaling one campaign unit, no matter the size. When it comes to creating a battle simply import each file individually until you have all the necessary forces from both sides before importing that combined file onto the blank map the battle will be fought over. (Air units and support can then be added manually at the tale end);
5) Edit the initial .btt files for each campaign unit for casualties after the CMBS battle;
6) Set up a 'dead unit' level to prevent speed bump battles and annoying OOB that can't be easily done inside the editor. Something like when a campaign unit loses 50% of it's initial starting strength it is auto retired from the front for 'rest and refit.'

Just some ideas I've got in my draft rules. Will post a few extra things in our shared folder for ideas.

Thanks Ithikial,

Good suggestions -- got most of that covered.

Base units are all pre-set company size and then reduced by thirds after percentage losses. -- explain it in an earlier post.
Support units like ATGM platoon etc are all lost after suffering more than

The CM stuff is pretty much working very well -- I need to simplify what happens on the operational map and tracking the turn sequence.

Seems like playing with Border or Frontier companies can give a bit of headache for a commanders but in same time can give a lot of fun with exploiting hit and run tactics.

If you want.. and its just a suggestion is you transfer all this stuff to me and I can run this campaign and you run Heraklion?

Nice idea ... I want to try and find some time over the weekend to run some tests if the play sequence works ok ... I remember running into some probs way back in April -- can't remember what it was :rolleyes:

Back