Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Falklands War 1982

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The Falklands War (Spanish: Guerra de las Malvinas/Guerra del Atlántico Sur), also called the Falklands Conflict/Crisis, was fought in 1982 between Argentina and the United Kingdom (UK) over the disputed Falkland Islands and South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands. The Falkland Islands consist of two large and many small islands in the South Atlantic Ocean east of Argentina; their name and sovereignty over them have long been disputed.

The Falklands War started on 2 April 1982 with the Argentine invasion and occupation of the Falkland Islands and South Georgia, and ended with the Argentine surrender on 14 June 1982. The war lasted 74 days, with 255 British and 649 Argentine soldiers, sailors, and airmen, and three civilian Falklanders killed.

The conflict was the result of a protracted diplomatic confrontation regarding the sovereignty of the islands. Neither state officially declared war and the fighting was largely limited to the territories under dispute and the South Atlantic. The initial invasion was considered by Argentina as the re-occupation of its own territory, and by the UK as an invasion of a British overseas territory.
Britain launched a naval task force to engage the Argentine Navy and Argentine Air Force, and retake the islands by amphibious assault. After combat resulting in 258 British and 649 Argentine deaths, the British eventually prevailed and at the end of combat operations on 14 June the islands remained under British control. However, as of 2008 and as it has since the 19th century, Argentina shows no sign of relinquishing its claim. The claim remains in the Argentine constitution after its reformation in 1994.

The political effects of the war were strong in both countries. A wave of patriotic sentiment swept through both: the Argentine loss prompted even larger protests against the military government, which hastened its downfall; in the United Kingdom, the government of Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher was bolstered. It helped Thatcher's government to victory in the 1983 general election, which prior to the war was seen as by no means certain.

The war has played an important role in the culture of both countries, and has been the subject of several books, films, and songs. The cultural and political weight of the conflict has had less effect on the British public than on that of Argentina, where the war is still a topic of discussion.

The_Sun_%28Gotcha%29.png

I once read/heard that among the marines that walked overland from San Carlos to Port Stanley was a Dutch marine contingent. (The Dutch and British marines often train together, use the same equipment etc.)

Anybody can comfirm this and/or know more about it ?

Re: Battalion Action, Goose Green 1982

Looking from the north

Goose-grnGoogA.jpg

I dont think any Dutch troops were involved. Here is where wires may have been crossed.

3 Commando Brigade - formed primarily by the Royal Marines, 3 Commando Brigade was the primary British rapid reaction force, tasked with reinforcing the NATO northern flank in Norway in the event of war with the Soviet Union in Europe. 3 Commando Brigade was the formation with most experience of amphibious operations. In its NATO role, 3 Commando Brigade was reinforced by the Dutch Korps Mariniers. However, the situation required reinforcement by British units, with the result that 2nd & 3rd Battalions of the Parachute Regiment were reassigned from 5 Infantry Brigade.

I wonder is there a Falklands mods for CM:SF...............

I've been wanting to make a goose green scen for a while, the 2 sets of terrain are just too fundamentally different though

You know the original name "Malvinas" or in french "Malouines" come from my home town Saint Malo. Our corsair ships (corsair being pirates with an official paper...lol) have sailed the world and I think it was a place where they made a stop for fresh water. We were first in Canada (Jacques Cartier with his three ships "La Grande Hermine", "La Petite Hermine" et "L'Emerillon") and other places. You know why I have been sailing for more than 40 years...lol
My grandfather was a sailorman on board the big 3 masts ships that went around Cape Horn to Valparaiso.

Hard to imagine how they lost isn't it?

Evidently, was trying to avoid what was inevitable.

The same story of veterans says: "On 28 May, when the end came to our Darwin base attack, all these improvised weapons were used. With mobile rocket-tractor and more than 200 rockets they were fired until we ran out. There are many unsung heroes fought, the NCOs of the Air Force.
The effect of the rocket-must have been effective because they sent three Harrier to silence us, but their pumps were poorly thrown and did not touch us".

Last edited:
Back