Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The FGM Motorcycle Thread

Do you have a Go Pro or other camera,
Be nice to ride along with you

Steve

Gents,

The bike arrived on the seventh at 0700 in the morning, much to my neighbors' delight. I tried to start it, but it would not kick over, I threw a charger on the battery and took off for work. I tried again that afternoon but still nothing. After some investigation, I found the choke assembly broken, and the carburetor was clogged up. As I began to pull the carb, I noticed the fine care and craftsmanship of "Good Ol' Boy Billy Ray Backyard Motorcycle Mechanic" services. Our boy Roy swapped the CV for a Mikuni, but he didn't have the correct adaptor for the airbox, so he screamed, "Get'er done!!" and charged ahead. This action resulted in a shredded crab boot on the intake and some fancy fabricating on the airbox mounting plate. I repaired, cleaned, and ordered replacements for everything Roy touched and then serviced the brakes (Both reservoirs were full of mud). Bike starts and runs now but still needs a full service.
I was a little upset that it would not start, they said that it did, but I do feel that I've done okay for buying a bike unseen over the phone. I have learned some lessons and will be that much more prepared for my next blind purchase.

Someone needs to have a word with Billy Boy Ray!!!!
If that were my bike, he most certainly would have “incurred my displeasure “....

@Septic Limb Sorry for the mechanical problems. On the positive side, it sounds like you have the skills to get the bike running properly. Think of it as a challenge. ;-)
The rest of the service bit and bobs are trickling in over the week, so on Saturday, it will have full going over. I have been riding it since Friday of last week, and the bike is getting noticeably better now that it is being ridden. I will say that riding a Harley is a strange experience. There is nothing like watching the hardware that holds the bike together start loosing up while you ride. I watched the lock nut on the throttle adjustment back off and then felt the throttle slowly lose its adjustment in my hand. A car passing me in the other lane hit a piece of metal in the road, and I started looking all over the bike trying to find out what fell off. Jumped on it for a quick ride after work yesterday, and about three miles down the road, my right directional switch stopped working. My father in law once told me that you spend more time wrenching on a Harley than actually riding the damn thing, I'm beginning to see what he was talking about.

This will become your friend when you own an H/D
View attachment 18897

I had a Softail Heritage for about a year - very comfortable and even though the engine was rubber mounted, I kept having to replace spotlight bulbs which blew regularly, noticeably upon start up......I did have Screaming Eagles exhaust on it though.

My idea of owning a bike is to ride the thing as much as possible - if the weather is good enough to ride, I'm buggered if I'm gonna spend any more time than possible cleaning it.
My mate Andy used to wash his bikes using the following theory......
"It gets a wash once a year, whether it needs it or not!!"

Steve

Installed a small leather solo bag this morning. It will at least give me a place to keep small items like phones, garage door openers, and give me a place to stow my gloves.

Its 78 F today, so I went for a ride afterwards. T-shirt and jeans only.....no jacket or gloves. I would have paid the price in skin if I dropped it, but damn it felt great. @Septic Limb you may be happy to learn that nothing fell off of it during the ride. ;-)

2018 Iron 1200 5.jpg2018 Iron 1200 6.jpg

I have been tempted to get a bag like that. I have seen them online, nice brown leather one like yours. I have a little bag under the headlight so, so far thats been good enough. I do likes the looks of yours. Had any issues with the battery cover yet?

I had to figure out how to remove it in order to install the bag. Pretty simple once I figured it out. I'm going to get a sissy bar so I will have something to strap a backpack to if I need more storage. The one I bought from eBay earlier turned out to be cheap Chinese junk, so I returned it. I know a guy on eBay who makes nice custom sissy bars, so I guess I'll buy one of his. I used him for my last sportster.

When I bought mine in 08 I mentioned to the salesman that my old one had different bars. He said “yeah, my wife’s sportster had those too” 46ACDB9C-B9A3-4D90-AC16-9E8F37B7E15E.jpeg It kinda pissed me off as once again being classified as a Girls” bike. But I know better so I let it go. I do like those bars though, that’s why i got the ones I have from Biltwell.

Back