Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The FGM Motorcycle Thread

Went for a ride today. Perfect weather here in Tennessee. Felt great.
Our heatwave finally broke and the weather has become bearable again. The heat wasn't too bad on its own but the local summer traffic has everything at a stop and go speed. Twice I had to pull over and shut the bike off because it was overheating. The last couple of weekends I've been leaving the house between 430-530 in the morning and heading inland, way less humid and a lot fewer tourists about.

.......How to ride a Goldwing...........I had a ride on a 2014 Goldwing a few years ago - silky smooth engine and deceptive handling for a behemoth.

Steve

My brother in law (age ~70) has a back injury and the Gold Wing is pretty much all he will ride these days. He goes on cross country trips a couple times a year.

On holiday in the states a few yrs back I got talking to a fella who had a Wing.....he called it The Enterprise.....

Just picked up another for the stable, came across a guy selling his 1987 Yamaha VX1100. It's another no start/no run and she's one ugly duckling but I see something worth saving. A friend of mine will be picking it up on Sunday so I'll post pics when it gets here. Guy wanted $400 for the bike, he also had the title so I couldn't say no.

Looking forward to seeing a pic, and you getting it up and running.
The plan is to get it up and running in a safe condition. If it's running and roadworthy I can flip it quickly. The challenge is going to be keeping the costs down to a minimum.

My friend and I on a early fall, late summer ride today. Beautiful weather 80 degrees, light breeze. As the day wore on it became eerie looking as it was hazy from the smoke from the wildfires out west Riding the Jet stream to NW Ohio. Yeah I’m the one with the cool possum shirt.
47F96FDD-7374-4340-9142-A52B1E4DE874.jpeg8A44CE10-613F-477B-8FD5-DC6A4359A671.jpeg

As promised.

Before:

2018 Iron 1200 6.jpg

After:

2018 Iron 1200 7.jpg

2018 Iron 1200 8.jpg

I installed the "luggage rack" myself, and had my mechanic install the custom sissy bar, as it involved unbolting the shocks and (I think) the signal lights. He said at one point they had three guys working on it, lol.

Anyway, the sissy bar is very high quality, heavy gauge steel, custom made in the USA by a guy on eBay. Now I have something to tie a bag or a backpack to.

As promised.

Before:

View attachment 21035

After:

View attachment 21036

View attachment 21037

I installed the "luggage rack" myself, and had my mechanic install the custom sissy bar, as it involved unbolting the shocks and (I think) the signal lights. He said at one point they had three guys working on it, lol.

Anyway, the sissy bar is very high quality, heavy gauge steel, custom made in the USA by a guy on eBay. Now I have something to tie a bag or a backpack to.
Looks fantastic. I’m contemplating getting a bag like yours. You’d be happy with forward controls, only problem is that they are $400.00 from HD. Makes riding way more comfortable.

Last edited:
Back