Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The loss of the USS Thresher submarine

Louis

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
On the morning of April 10, 1963, at approximately 9:18 a.m., USS Thresher was lost with all 129 crew and civilian riders on board. Thresher had just completed a nine-month overhaul and modernization availability at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in which she received new electronic and sonar equipment as well as other upgrades and repairs.

DBEnvtD.jpg

Conducting several successful shallow dives along the way, Thresher transited east-southeast to her dive point 220 miles off of Cape Cod where the Continental Shelf ends and the ocean’s depth plummets to 8400 feet. As her controlled dive began in 100-foot increments, Thresher sent routine messages to the rescue ship, USS Skylark. At 9:17 a.m., Skylark received a garbled message “…minor difficulties, have positive up-angle, attempting to blow.” Then Thresher went silent. Skylark attempted to regain contact by all means available, but to no avail. Thresher was lost.

tTCvQjd.jpg

kj76x6E.jpg

I have always been fascinated by the story of the USS Thresher. The sub was lost when I was a young lad and it spurred my lifelong interest in military history and naval warfare.

The offical story is that a pipe ruptured causing catastrophic flooding, but an alternative theory was put forward a few years ago which to me is more plausible, namely that an electrical short caused the reactor to shut down. Because of the depth, the ballast blower could not overcome the water pressure and the reactor could not be re-started quickly enough before the sub drifted past its crush depth.

Back