Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The psychology of regimes

Democracy with no respect for individual rights inevitably devolves into tyranny of the majority. A majority coalition eventually forms that suppresses the minority. Individual rights are everything.

I would like a system where accomplished people (in any field) are randomly tapped for a legislature. They would serve a single fixed term and would be paid very well. They also then collect a very generous pension when they are done with their term. However, they are told that they and their family will be scrutinized until the end of their days. The legislator will not be allowed to serve in a job after their term is up. They cannot collect any speaking fees or write books. They can collect NO MONEY other than their pension. If their spouses / children get jobs or posts that they are not qualified for, a corruption investigation will be done.

In short, buying them or buying their family members is not allowed. Punishments would be severe for the briber and the bribed.

Why do this? Professional politicians are generally trash. They only care about staying in power. Any idealists among them are quickly voted out.

A smart person doing their level best with no hope of future favors would do far better.

We can still elect a chief executive (with term limits), but the legislature can impeach him or her.

Just thinking out loud.

Democracy with no respect for individual rights inevitably devolves into tyranny of the majority. A majority coalition eventually forms that suppresses the minority. Individual rights are everything.

I would like a system where accomplished people (in any field) are randomly tapped for a legislature. They would serve a single fixed term and would be paid very well. They also then collect a very generous pension when they are done with their term. However, they are told that they and their family will be scrutinized until the end of their days. The legislator will not be allowed to serve in a job after their term is up. They cannot collect any speaking fees or write books. They can collect NO MONEY other than their pension. If their spouses / children get jobs or posts that they are not qualified for, a corruption investigation will be done.

In short, buying them or buying their family members is not allowed. Punishments would be severe for the briber and the bribed.

Why do this? Professional politicians are generally trash. They only care about staying in power. Any idealists among them are quickly voted out.

A smart person doing their level best with no hope of future favors would do far better.

We can still elect a chief executive (with term limits), but the legislature can impeach him or her.

Just thinking out loud.
Sounds interesting.

Agreed on the 'professional politicians', the same goes for a lot of the bureaucratic hierarchic positions that serve the professional politicians. Anyone amongst them trying to do the right thing will often quickly leave (disgruntled) or will be assimilated into the collective ;-)

Sounds interesting.

Agreed on the 'professional politicians', the same goes for a lot of the bureaucratic hierarchic positions that serve the professional politicians. Anyone amongst them trying to do the right thing will often quickly leave (disgruntled) or will be assimilated into the collective ;-)
I worked in the government for 1.5 years.

I had to leave. Such a bad system. It is all about slavishly following the rules at all costs. Check your brain at the door and don't ask questions.

Everyone who was a creative problem solver eventually left. Pay check collectors stayed in service.

I dared to use Excel to do calculations, which crossed the line according to the penpushers.

I worked in the government for 1.5 years.

I had to leave. Such a bad system. It is all about slavishly following the rules at all costs. Check your brain at the door and don't ask questions.

Everyone who was a creative problem solver eventually left. Pay check collectors stayed in service.
Sounds familiar. My company often works with the government, mostly in program/project form. Our/my critical creative thinking isn't always appreciated, but that's not my problem :LOL: :2charge:

While we have been able to achieve some good results (for society, we aren't for profit but neither a charity), often that has been despite of the governmental organizations in the program. My field of work is about business process automation / software development. The government thought it was a good idea to outsource all people with that knowledge, so they only the type of people around who are skilled in law-writing / legal stuff. So for everything that needs to be done they'll hire external consultants from large consulting firms. Who have only one interest: to create billable hours. The legal people follow their formal process, because that's the only thing that gives m any perceived grip on things. Actually discussing the technical bits & pieces that needs to be done must be a nightmare for them, they simply don't understand anything of it.
Usually there's one or two good people working for some department, that do whatever they can to get some critical thinking into the higher ups but usually they'll leave after a while on the brink of burnout; either because that's the wisest decision or there is politics going on.
So it's quite a disaster.
At the same time we've had fun getting stuff done inside budget, planning etc, at a fraction of the cost they usually have it done (and than seeing people's faces). But always when you think some real progress has been made, the next project/program will make sure your don't go thinking silly things.

Yes, I am still happily retired, latest bureaucracy. If you live in a retirement home, you have priority in regard to vaccination. You look after yourself, you must wait another 6 months. Still not a bad effort 1 year in and they have several working vaccines. Just don't overdose, people, it is the latest bungle.

Back