FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
Email
cm2.pbem@gmail.com
Round 3 completed. After winning the first tank shoot out I was able to hold Mad Mike's infantry away from the primary objective. My infantry were able to secure this objective in the final minutes. Well played Mad Mike.

Thanks Rico.
Well played @Hardradi . Good luck for the semifinals. :)

A Canadian Cat

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
5-8 games.
Email
ian.leslie@lesliesoftware.com
I may be completely wrong, but I thought the final tie breaker was total casualties.
Exactly. I was pointing out that the only thing I did better on was tank kills.

Well done Meat Grinder! Solid final few minutes to swing things your way.

SlySniper

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Our game is over, and I don't know who won. I'll leave that to the smart people. Either way, good game, Ian. :) Back to the salt mines for me.

Nice end to a game, my favorite type of battle. Nothing like fighting for a fraction of a win against a opponent that has played equally as well.

Good Win Meat Grinder and nice play there at the end of the game. (I assume you had placed most of that smoke to help with the ending moves)

Badger73

FGM SITE OVERSEER
ADMIN
Reaction score
Turn Rate
1-2 pw
Games
None.
Email
mvangroll@msn.com
<snipped>
Good Win Meat Grinder and nice play there at the end of the game. (I assume you had placed most of that smoke to help with the ending moves)
Uh-oh. After dancing in the fog with @Titan for an entire match, do we now have to worry that @Meat Grinder has mastered "Maskirovka" and added it to his considerable bag of Combat Mission tricks?
We are totally doomed!!! :shocknaz:

Meat Grinder

FGM Colonel
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
1-2 pw
Games
2-4 games.
My PIAT team (RIP) did pop some of that smoke, but the majority of it was popped by Ian's Cromwell that had taken a tank commander casualty and a weapon hit the previous turn. Worked out well for me. :)

Rico

FGM Major General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
ricoschacherl@gmail.com
That concludes Round 3 of the Quick & The Dead 6 -- and we have our four battered and battle-scarred semifinalists!!

In the left corner: @Wellsonian VS @A Canadian Cat

In the right corner: @Hardradi VS @Meat Grinder

Well done all!

Time to get that semifinals scenario ready!

A Canadian Cat

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
5-8 games.
Email
ian.leslie@lesliesoftware.com
I wasn't planning to share my Quick and Dead ideas but I probably should. Remind me if I don't get to it in the next couple of weeks.
Yep, that was just a quick & dirty, off the cuff of my sleeve analysis of my approach to these tiny little 15 minute battles. Every battle is different, depending on terrain and many other factors. I would love to see your ideas on helping one's own forces spot enemies better in these things.

First you need to win one, though. The proof is in the pudding, after all. :) Turn sent.
Thankfully I did win one. Damn close on the other and now I get a rematch. Since you already do most of this I'll share my approach wrapped around your excellent simplified framework.

(1) Bum rush the VL.
Heck ya. All else equal whom ever can create a defensive position on the Objectives has an advantage because now the game is a attack defend but with equal forces. Advantage to the fastest. But there is a caveat: it has to be defensible. There is no point racing to an empty objective that is out in the open it needs to be defensible.

A counter example was this last game there was little point in taking the Objectives because they just didn't offer enough protection from the flanks. I suppose if your opponent failed to do #2 then you could use that short bocage line but getting overwatch was so easy in this scenario rushing the objectives was not really needed.

Most of the other games you could create a very nice defensive position and have overwatch so that should be the starting point. Move fast and turn the meeting engagement into an attack instead.

(2) Gain overwatch with unbuttoned armor as quickly as possible.
For sure. You need to do this for two reasons. First try and see if you can get eyes on the quickest approach your enemy has to the objectives. Do this first. Since they will be doing step #1 if you can move fast and get guns on their approach you can slow them down and win the race. Second, you need overwatch so that you can protect the flanks of your defensive position. This is really important.

(3) Pray to the spotting gods.
Heck no. No praying needed you have to know how to give your guys as many advantages as you can. If you *are* a praying man then follow this maxim "the lord helps those who help themselves". The commander's job is to give your guys the best chance to succeed. Following steps #1 and #2 are nice but you need one more thing - information. You need to figure out what the other guy is up to. I was disappointed when @Rico added infantry because it negated one of my best tricks. OK I wasn't really disappointed those games were fun but it really did negate my master trick. What is that you ask:

Dismounted tank crews.

Tank crews cannot hear a GD thing. But if you have infantry they can hear and track tank movements easily. If you don't have infantry make some - dismount a few tank crews. If you know what routes and how many vehicles your opponent is moving where you can adjust your defensive positions and your overwatch to match and counter their moves. This is how you gain the advantage - an information advantage. If you know where your opponent's tanks are you can make sure you have LOS to those location and you can make sure your crews are facing the correct direction

Now of course you do have to be careful - and empty tank is easily knocked out and unprotected crew are very vulnerable. Here is what I do. When you are setting your overwatch take one of the last tanks and stop them totally out of sight behind said overwatch. The will be protected there and then dismount the crew and get them to some cover (forest or building) near the overwatch tanks. And when you are setting up your defensive position on the objective keep one tank totally out of sight and dismount the crew and get them to a location where they can listen to the world. Watch the intell come streaming in. Make damn sure you remount those crews before things get ugly. I look to dismount my crews as fast as possible typically first or second minute. So far I have not lost a crew or a tank that was dismounted yet.