Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Think we should recruit for campaigns and tourneys over at Slitherine - FGM player base drying up

Seeing that the FOG player base here at FGM is shrinking all the time (and turn rates and enthusiasm for FOG/Medieval noticably flagging overall) -- I am thinking of moving hosting of my FOG or Medieval tourneys and campaigns over to Slitherine -- (especially ideas that need around 8 players or so)

Other option would be to perhaps try entice/invite some players over from Slitherine to FGM.

I guess that's first/best option. Think I might try this first with a tourney for the new FOGII Swifter Than Eagles DLC.

Last edited:
It'd be good to get a few more players involved. I love playing the campaigns and watching the ones I'm not involved in and the more players the merrier, I guess. I've never been on Slitherine, never felt the need. I like the crew here and the nature of the place but, of course, it suits me to be able to pick up a game or two when I'm not so busy and take on less when I am. I appreciate the hell out of you Rico, making the effort to create and run fun campaigns and tourneys. Also you lot who play them, I strictly only play PvP FOG and I only have it because of you guys.
Keep it up please, Rico. Let's see if a few players from elsewhere ate tempted too. Looking forward to seeing you all on the battlefield!

Our FOG player base has thinned out precariously ... @Badger73 has left tourney/campaign play... @Nelson1812 is on a health break... former stalwart @Wellsonian has disappeared... @Mad Mike is no longer active...
I think Olaf has left FGM entirely... @Alpha Zwo used to play FOG, but no longer active on FGM it seems... @Josey Wales is on break from playing FOG and I don't think ever really played Medieval)

We gained two new players, @chiquichops and occasionally @kronenblatt (although he's mostly ancients FOGII and mostly active on Slitherine)

I think there are a few of things we can do to resolve this....

1. Advertise the fact that FGM is not just Combat Mission. (I'm working on this...)
  2. Run one FOGII tournament at a time. Multiple concurrent tournaments mess with my head. :)
  3. When setting up a new tournament let me know and I can advertise on the homepage with a link to sign ups.
A large part of my time has been swallowed up as an editor on WW2 documentaries for Battle Guide... a new one will be launched this afternoon... *shameless plug*... I enjoy playing the smaller style tournies... the new one confused me a little as its not as pick up and playable.

Im thinking of using some club funds to set up a tournament area in Challonge. I think if we use that we can attract players from outwith FGM which may suit you better.

Anyway just a little brain storm by me.

I think there are a few of things we can do to resolve this....

1. Advertise the fact that FGM is not just Combat Mission. (I'm working on this...)
  2. Run one FOGII tournament at a time. Multiple concurrent tournaments mess with my head. :)
  3. When setting up a new tournament let me know and I can advertise on the homepage with a link to sign ups.
A large part of my time has been swallowed up as an editor on WW2 documentaries for Battle Guide... a new one will be launched this afternoon... *shameless plug*... I enjoy playing the smaller style tournies... the new one confused me a little as its not as pick up and playable.

Im thinking of using some club funds to set up a tournament area in Challonge. I think if we use that we can attract players from outwith FGM which may suit you better.

Anyway just a little brain storm by me.
Some good ideas here -- I'll also gonna simplify the new one drastically and see if that flies.

My problem with going outside (to hire mercenaries to play in our FoG tournaments) is we will
be attracting players we don't know into our little tight-knit FGM community. Seal clubbing comes
to mind. :unsure:
@Bootie 's idea seem a good first step.
Although only having one tournament running at a time may be counter productive. Not all
tournaments are equal and may keep some from playing merely because they don't like the format
of what's available.

Back