Time to rate my 5 scenarios - feedback

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
@SlySniper Agreed with @sspoom that this tournament format is my favorite. Double blind with relative scoring, I think the number of regular contenders in these tournaments show that we're not alone in this ;-).

Also while mission 3 and 4 are not my favorite 'type', I had a lot of fun with mission 3 and it actually provided one of the better back and forth firefights I remember in CM.

FWIW I also think the briefings are fine. I mixed up the situation of mission 3 but that was more due to wrong assumptions on my side. I actually like the vague stuff / surprises, it forces people to think for themselves. Personally couldn't care less about spelling; I think most of us aren't in school/uni anymore :D
The important part about communication is, imo, understanding; I can perfectly understand what is written.

Giving and receiving constructive feedback is of course also a skill which comes by experience and, like spelling, not everyone is equally skilled in :D.

Overall I think this CMCW tournament is as good as it gets; not everyone will agree about favorite scenario's, but given the varied scoring it seems everyone was happy with a majority of the battles.

SlySniper

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I know for some, what I do is great stuff, for others, not so much. I dont expect to make everyone happy.

And I dont mind looking at ways that I can improve on what I am doing.

But Also just wanted to voice my views so that it is clear as to the intent of my actions.

It never hurts to let others know how one see's things , or for them to understand why you do what you do.

like I manage to only have to take 2 english courses through my collage years, so somehow I managed to pass enough test to fool someone that I knew enough about using it. That I did not have to suffer through more classes about it.

OnePingOnly

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@SlySniper -
Apologies if my feedback seemed too harsh. In retrospect, you actually only asked for ranking and scoring. But it is only feedback, and all of it is just nits.
I really enjoyed the tournament (except for #4 :)), and would certainly sign up again. It’s a lot of work to come up with non-repetitive and reasonably balanced scenarios on a consistent basis, and I appreciate it.

SlySniper

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Again, I will point out that I do not mind the added comments as to the scenarios and the design.
I never expect to have my work to be looked at as being perfect.
At least I am willing to put myself out there and I actually do feel I have somewhat of a knack for making them.

So I will continue on doing what I do and continue to try to make better scenarios.

Thanks for all your imput.

Shady Side

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Again, I will point out that I do not mind the added comments as to the scenarios and the design.
I never expect to have my work to be looked at as being perfect.
At least I am willing to put myself out there and I actually do feel I have somewhat of a knack for making them.

So I will continue on doing what I do and continue to try to make better scenarios.

Thanks for all your imput.
well as long as u stay within the titles i have i will sign up for the next one

Artkin

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
cmsf2 just had some ridiculous master maps made for it:
And FI had quite a few new huge maps released

Scenario 1 (US to recover M1 and recapture land overlooking lake)
Scenario 2 (Dessert meeting engagement)
Scenario 3 (US convoy with enemy Gold)
Scenario 4 (US Prisoner rescue)
Scenario 5 (Russian vs Russian (ukraine))
Listed from most enjoyable to least:
Scenario 4 = rating 10 (played as Soviets)
Scenario 1 = rating 9 (USA)
Scenario 5 = rating 8 (Soviets)
Scenario 3 = rating 8 (Soviets)
Scenario 2 = rating 7 (Soviets)

Great variety overall and each battle had its challenges! Once again Slys BLIND tourney doesn't disappoint. Thanks again for running these, had a blast as usual!

Will be playing these tourneys 'til the day I die! :geek::p

Hilts

FGM New Member
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Scenario 5.....10 points. (Soviets) This was the most action packed of my battles despite my opponent abandoning it, before the end.
Scenario 4.....9 points. (Soviets) This was good fun despite watching the prison and all my men in it get obliterated within the first five minutes!
Scenario 3.....8 points (Americans) Mis-read the map on this. Guided by @SlySniper's suggested set up I assumed the attack would come on the town to try and cut off the gold at source. Didn't expect the Soviets to come up on the other side of the river and seize the exit point. Don't play much modern stuff so completely forgot about amphibious vehicles until it was too late.
Scenario 1.....7 points (Soviets) Wasn't sure whether I was supposed to be attacking or defending in this, so just decided to hold the town and wait for enemy to come to me. I think my opponent must also have been a bit confused, because despite acquiring the Abrams, he never moved it, so not much action in this one.
Scenario 2.....5 points. (Americans) Didn't like this at all. The terrain was all wrong for an armoured clash. If two big guys decided one day to have a fist fight, I doubt whether either of the protagonists would think it a good idea to have it on a staircase!

Anyway, all good fun and thanks @SlySniper for organising this.....

Artkin

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Been a while since anyone's posted here... Any updates?

JTimo

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Scenario 1 (US to recover M1 and recapture land overlooking lake)
Scenario 2 (Dessert meeting engagement)
Scenario 3 (US convoy with enemy Gold)
Scenario 4 (US Prisoner rescue)
Scenario 5 (Russian vs Russian (ukraine))
Scenario 3 as U.S. - 9, Was shocked when I saw what I was up against, yet it was the only scenario where I pulled out a win. Great lesson in what you can do with a mostly infantry force agains a horde of light armor.

Scenario 2 as U.S. - 7, My methodical style of play cost me here, but it was great fun once I got my forces into the fight.

Scenario 1 as Soviets - 4, Sorry Sly, but for me I misread the zones and their labels, and by the time I realized that, the game was decided. In retro, this could have gotten my top rating and would have been right up there as a fun game.

Scenario 4 as Soviets - 2, This one was hard to rate. I planned a mobile defense, but my opponent advance much farther than I thought possible on turn 1, and I never got to do what I wanted. He later had to abandon the game due to a major health issue, leaving me to finish against the author, and that part was fun, but it's never a good thing.

Scenario 5 as Soviets - 5, This game should have been more fun than it was for me personally. I had a tough opponent in a big scenario at a time when RL demands didn't leave enough time for my micro managing style. None of those reasons are the fault of the scenario design, which is why I rated it a little higher than some of the previous ratings. My only real complaint on this scenario is that 30 minutes is a tough nut to crack as the attacker in a scenario/map of this size.

Your tournaments have been great. I love playing 30 minute games, and the mix of typical, and non-typical puzzles you provide has been a great change from the many tournaments I have taken part in. If I don't join your next one, it will only be because I'd already be committed in another tournament, and I just don't have the RL time to take on as much gaming commitment as I once could.

Thanks for your efforts.

Artkin

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Scenario 3 as U.S. - 9, Was shocked when I saw what I was up against, yet it was the only scenario where I pulled out a win. Great lesson in what you can do with a mostly infantry force agains a horde of light armor.

Scenario 2 as U.S. - 7, My methodical style of play cost me here, but it was great fun once I got my forces into the fight.

Scenario 1 as Soviets - 4, Sorry Sly, but for me I misread the zones and their labels, and by the time I realized that, the game was decided. In retro, this could have gotten my top rating and would have been right up there as a fun game.

Scenario 4 as Soviets - 2, This one was hard to rate. I planned a mobile defense, but my opponent advance much farther than I thought possible on turn 1, and I never got to do what I wanted. He later had to abandon the game due to a major health issue, leaving me to finish against the author, and that part was fun, but it's never a good thing.

Scenario 5 as Soviets - 5, This game should have been more fun than it was for me personally. I had a tough opponent in a big scenario at a time when RL demands didn't leave enough time for my micro managing style. None of those reasons are the fault of the scenario design, which is why I rated it a little higher than some of the previous ratings. My only real complaint on this scenario is that 30 minutes is a tough nut to crack as the attacker in a scenario/map of this size.

Your tournaments have been great. I love playing 30 minute games, and the mix of typical, and non-typical puzzles you provide has been a great change from the many tournaments I have taken part in. If I don't join your next one, it will only be because I'd already be committed in another tournament, and I just don't have the RL time to take on as much gaming commitment as I once could.

Thanks for your efforts.
I agree with everything here except... 30 minutes was a tight schedule for scenario 5. But, so long as you spent your first few turns building up your assault without major losses then you could have utilized the reinforcements as your main push. This scenario's greatest strength was probably the numerous choices available to the player while on a very restrained time limit. Therefore players had to made sacrifices that they wouldnt normally have made if they had 15 extra turns.
I disagree with your rating of scenario 5, too harsh.

SlySniper

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
The 30 minute time as to where I want to keep the length is no question a challenge for some playing styles.
I also agree, that in some of my battles, that I ask alot for what might be possible as to a goal for a player.

In battle 5, I did not expect the offensive player to run the map. I expected him to take two or three objectives.
But providing 6 objectives did provide more options, and for a couple of players the ability to run the map and create a scoring gap for themselves.

So I agree with the view but also feel like the battle size is for sure shallenging and did not go outside the area of what might be adcheived in the time frame.

So its good for all of you to make a mental note if you get into another scenario tournament of mine, just because I offer you a elaphant to eat, it does not mean you need to accept the full challenge. Approach the battle as to what you think you can best adchieve in the time frame.

Lethaface

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
The 30 minute time as to where I want to keep the length is no question a challenge for some playing styles.
I also agree, that in some of my battles, that I ask alot for what might be possible as to a goal for a player.

In battle 5, I did not expect the offensive player to run the map. I expected him to take two or three objectives.
But providing 6 objectives did provide more options, and for a couple of players the ability to run the map and create a scoring gap for themselves.

So I agree with the view but also feel like the battle size is for sure shallenging and did not go outside the area of what might be adcheived in the time frame.

So its good for all of you to make a mental note if you get into another scenario tournament of mine, just because I offer you a elaphant to eat, it does not mean you need to accept the full challenge. Approach the battle as to what you think you can best adchieve in the time frame.
I think these tournaments have taught me a lot, including how to speed up my game and performing risky/daring efforts to secure objectives.

Top Bottom