Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Trying to make this game less hard

• Thread starter burning_phoneix
  • Start date
B

burning_phoneix

Hello everyone,
I don't understand how but as a long time wargamer, I've only just now made my way to the FGM forums. Probably because my first exposure to CM was Combat Mission 3:Afrika Corp back in the day and teenage me just went:
1511487214509.png

and went back to playing C&C Generals and Warcraft III. Now that I'm an old man I picked up SF2 when it came on Steam and....yeah its still hard. But! At least now I can appreciate the depth the series has to offer. Decided to join the forums after hanging around the unofficial CM discord and seeing a lot of people there from the FGM, being linked to the mod warehouse multiple times and probably also Hapless mentioning the forums in his AARs a lot.

Please help me not be dumb at commanding pixeltruppen.

Big welcome to the Club @burning_phoneix The Few Good Men are welcoming you!.... You will find a lot of interesting people here
Please check out the links which are there to help you

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/site-manual.25/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/combat-mission-x2-world-war-two.160/

If you have any questions or need some help with the site, please feel free to contact our official welcome committee member Hedgehog and Shorker. he will be happy to assist you. Just click on the names in the members list or underneath the avatar picture and then on "Start A Conversation" or reply

The jargon is at times bewildering and not understood. Looking at the YT and other manuals I figured out the concept 'Key Terrain'. For a Chess Player the Centre Squares of the board. Controlling them usually results in winning the game. Easier said than done. The Second in Command (XO) of a CM Game. He or she is the 'Queen'.
During 'Set Up' find a low area in the Centre of the Map. Use the XO to make a circle of all of the AO using the cover arc, (K+Shift). Key Terrain is not covered.
keyterrain-A.png

keyterrain-B.png

Like Chess, if you control the Centre, you're likely to win it. METT-TC is the responsibility of every unit. Before I forget the XO Team press the Pause button. Use the F12 button to flick between him and subsequently selected units.

Welcome aboard burning_phoneix
Glad to have you with us

Welcome aboard. :)

Head down to the Combat Mission Modern Titles forum and you can get a boat load of info there.
Thanks. Most of the forum seems to be people looking for matches though.
The jargon is at times bewildering and not understood. Looking at the YT and other manuals I figured out the concept 'Key Terrain'. For a Chess Player the Centre Squares of the board. Controlling them usually results in winning the game. Easier said than done. The Second in Command (XO) of a CM Game. He or she is the 'Queen'.
During 'Set Up' find a low area in the Centre of the Map. Use the XO to make a circle of all of the AO using the cover arc, (K+Shift). Key Terrain is not covered.
keyterrain-A.png

keyterrain-B.png
This is actually pretty useful to get a good look at little hills and divots that obscure line of sight but aren't visible from a birds eye view. Why the XO? Shouldn't it work with any unit?

Thanks. Most of the forum seems to be people looking for matches though.

This is actually pretty useful to get a good look at little hills and divots that obscure line of sight but aren't visible from a birds eye view. Why the XO? Shouldn't it work with any unit?
It works with any other unit and you can apply this technique throughout the game. The XO is responsible for the administration to delegate task or tasks to the subunits. In the game, he is easy to locate. Click the Highest HQ unit the XO is the next unit. He has the Topographic Map as displayed here. During your game, you get this map with only a few clicks, if you select another unit, it may be harder to find.

G'day @burning_phoneix , please take a look at my post containing many of @Hapless' excellent tutorials - I notice you are familiar with his channel so maybe you have seen them already?

There's also nothing quite like in game experience against real players, take note of how your opponents play, ask them questions after the game, and incorporate the lessons into future battles. Good luck! :cool:

G'day @burning_phoneix , please take a look at my post containing many of @Hapless' excellent tutorials - I notice you are familiar with his channel so maybe you have seen them already?

There's also nothing quite like in game experience against real players, take note of how your opponents play, ask them questions after the game, and incorporate the lessons into future battles. Good luck! :cool:
Yeah I have seen all his videos, they're quite good and really help!

And yeah, I'm playing some PBEM games and learning a lot. Getting my ass handed to me, but still learning! :giggle:

Back