5-8 games.
Email
cm2.pbem@gmail.com
Commanders,

@Bootie
@mcmortison
@rocketman
@JTimo

Please provide input for our moves in the first turn.
Should we deploy more unconventional forces?
What should our general posture be with our main forces - offensive or defensive?

I've put overview screenshots of all 15 maps into our dropbox - subfolder "Maps" - for easier reference.

mcmortison

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
my2 cents:

lets go so guerilla as possible as we cant beat the Nato in open combat. I would choose to battle in tight city maps as they can not use there vehicles so good there. The map with the canyon would be the one I would set up an ambush on ther supply lines (so to speak).

If possible lets use IEDs and VIEDs to hit them as hard as possible.

I would go for a defensive style

rocketman

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
I agree with @mcmortison re ambush in the canyon and attrition via guerilla fighting.
I see map 6 and 10 as chokepoints for the NATO advance. So shift one unit down to 6 and enter a new one at 11. Perhaps also try to occupy both 1 and 2 to slow them down further.

Ithikial

FGM 2ND IN COMMAND
ADMIN
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
Usually plays single player.
Not saying you need to copy them (you are a bunch of civilians with guns going up against a professional army after all), but the NATO commanders have written an essay... with pictures. :D

I've also answered a suite of questions from them so feel free to ask anything specific here or in a seperate rules query thread within your HQ.

mcmortison

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
2-4 games.
I indeed have a quick question: I read the rules and maybe missed something. besides the actual battles is there a mechanic in Play that is "activ - passiv"? For instance we can deploy snipers to pic of some of there brass bevor a combat (lowers Moral for troops), can we "deploy" observers that seek out smaller Groups of Nato personal that we could ambush with overwelming numbers? (small skirmish game to lower the Moral of the enemy) or booby trap roads to the battlemap that cost them bevor the battle even starts?

Use mortars aginst a Heliport, mine the roads etc.

I hope I made myself understandble (inside my head - and in German - it makes sense :))

JTimo

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
1 game.
I agree with what the other two guys have said, and have one thought to add. The game is 8 turns. Assuming the final Allied objectives are in the western most map spaces, and are important to their chance for victory we need to try to stall their progress. To that end we need to minimize their opportunities to advance more than 1 space per turn. This would need to start with turn 1. Defend space 1, so we can retreat to space 3, thus preventing a two space Allied advance through space 3. Doing this throughout the campaign, along with the suggestions made by the other commanders will give us a chance to win a late campaign battle by fielding a full strength regular army unit against a weakend Allied unit that is forced to attack on the final campaign turn.

rocketman

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Question about rules: Will we have day turns only? Or do we need to worry about NATOs fancy night vision equipment?

Edit: Never mind, read the rules again.

Last edited:

JTimo

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
1 game.
written an essay... with pictures
We have cell phones, but they can’t allow us to write essays or take pictures, only detonate IEDs. :)

Seriously, what are they putting in essays, and what are they using the pictures to show. I’m confusedo_O

Mad Mike

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
Email
cm2.pbem@gmail.com
Seriously, what are they putting in essays, and what are they using the pictures to show. I’m confusedo_O
Maybe "Why I like to invade foreign countries and create endless misery for their inhabitants"?
I don't know, but sounds quite strange in any case. ;)

Mad Mike

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
Email
cm2.pbem@gmail.com
On a general note, I agree with a defensive posture and maximising impact via terror / unconventional attacks first and foremost.

We already have an unconventional force in Map 1 (see Campaign Map in the Main Forum).
They should be able to block any movement there - for the first turn anyway.

Following your input, I think we will put another unconventional unit into Map 2 - "Aleppo".

Moving "Damascus" to Map 4 to block off movement there might be useful. From looking at the NATO counters on the Campaign Map, there seem not to be armour heavy units in there, but some mechanised forces will be quite capable of engaging our T-62s and T-72s and may even include some tanks (M1s? , Challengers?, Leopards? - hard to say right now).

Also move unconventional fighters "Palmyra" to Map 6 (starting in Map 9).

Finally, deploy unconventional unit "Daraa" to Map 11.

JTimo

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
1 game.
T-72s and may even include some tanks (M1s? , Challengers?, Leopards?
Don’t laugh too hard, but a test I ran during the game we are now finishing pitted T-72s against Challenger 2s at 1500+ m. If the T72 crews had c3/ intel of the existence and approximate location of the Challengers, either by passed on intel, or dismounted self spotting, they generally attained 1st spot, and generally got the kill provided they hit the hull.

rocketman

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
On a general note, I agree with a defensive posture and maximising impact via terror / unconventional attacks first and foremost.

We already have an unconventional force in Map 1 (see Campaign Map in the Main Forum).
They should be able to block any movement there - for the first turn anyway.

Following your input, I think we will put another unconventional unit into Map 2 - "Aleppo".

Moving "Damascus" to Map 4 to block off movement there might be useful. From looking at the NATO counters on the Campaign Map, there seem not to be armour heavy units in there, but some mechanised forces will be quite capable of engaging our T-62s and T-72s and may even include some tanks (M1s? , Challengers?, Leopards? - hard to say right now).

Also move unconventional fighters "Palmyra" to Map 6 (starting in Map 9).

Finally, deploy unconventional unit "Daraa" to Map 11.
"We will obey your commands in their infinite wisdom and we will fight to our death and bring as many of the infidels with us to their doom in the fight for our land. We must also be wary of their infamous "spears that suddenly fall down from heaven" when we protect our tanks."

Ithikial

FGM 2ND IN COMMAND
ADMIN
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
We have cell phones, but they can’t allow us to write essays or take pictures, only detonate IEDs. :)

Remember it's 2008, so the first iPhone was only released the previous year. Nokia 3310 for the win. ;)

Ok more essays are being written over on the NATO forums. Can we please think about actually plotting some orders in the movement sheet. Not going to put a hard time limit on it and appreciate @Mad Mike has come into this at the last minute, but it would be good if both sides are shooting at each other this weekend. :)

Mad Mike

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
Email
cm2.pbem@gmail.com
Ok more essays are being written over on the NATO forums. Can we please think about actually plotting some orders in the movement sheet. Not going to put a hard time limit on it and appreciate @Mad Mike has come into this at the last minute, but it would be good if both sides are shooting at each other this weekend. :)
Movement orders noted in the Excel file (as outlined above).
Also put the two Action cards used for this turn:

• "Dug In and Ready" for Map1
  • "Successful Raid - Artillery Asset"

Shooting this weekend seems entirely possible. :)

rocketman

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
"My cousin in Damascus has obtained satelite images of where our battles will be fought in the coming days. He will compile a map for us to best plan where to fight with which of our assets. We need to use the terrain we so well know to the best of our advantage. If Allah is good it will be in my hands soon and I will pass it on to higher command".
- Suleiman Al Rakkr

Ithikial

FGM 2ND IN COMMAND
ADMIN
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
Movement orders noted in the Excel file (as outlined above).
Also put the two Action cards used for this turn:

• "Dug In and Ready" for Map1
  • "Successful Raid - Artillery Asset"
Shooting this weekend seems entirely possible. :)
NATO are almost ready as well. Fingers crossed I can process the turn tonight.

If you want to jump the gun feel free to load Map 1 into the editor and start placing the fortifications onto the map as you see fit. Keep in mind they are there for the duration of the campaign. Free GM tip - I'd keep in the front of mind what direction the enemy are likely to be coming from. :)

rocketman

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
@Ithikial : can you create a Syrian only Dropbox folder for us to share intel in, screenshots, etc? I have an overview map to share for starters. Compilation of all the map overview screenshots mapped like the Campaign Map, so that we can remember which terrain is where so we use our forces in their best places.

Ithikial

FGM 2ND IN COMMAND
ADMIN
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
@Ithikial : can you create a Syrian only Dropbox folder for us to share intel in, screenshots, etc? I have an overview map to share for starters. Compilation of all the map overview screenshots mapped like the Campaign Map, so that we can remember which terrain is where so we use our forces in their best places.
There's been one for about a week and you're down as being a member of it. That dropbox is yours to do what you want, not just for me to pass files to you guys.