Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Turn 24 & Finis

Bulletpoint

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
What is your evaluation of this battle? It seems like you both spent a lot of time maneuvering, but - far as I can see - in the end it turned into a direct clash between the two army cores, with the stronger units winning out...

I would agree with you @Bulletpoint. Badger73 knew his core army couldn’t grind it out with me, so he smartly deployed back in his zone, giving his advantage in skirmishes and Cav a chance to influence the battle before the main infantry lines clashed. The main battle was going to always end in my favor, so he delayed it for as long as possible. We were both cautious, probably because it was a DAR! Nothing like putting yourself out there.
Badger’s plan was close to working, until I got my general led Cataphracts behind his line. My opinion is that when I started moving that unit towards the main fight, he should have followed with his general led xmen, instead of having them help the remote Cav fight. What do you think @Badger73?

What is your evaluation of this battle? It seems like you both spent a lot of time maneuvering, but - far as I can see - in the end it turned into a direct clash between the two army cores, with the stronger units winning out...
In this case, yes, as @Wellsonian says. These are primarily Heavy Foot with supporting cavalry armies. Roman cohorts are higher quality. This Jewish army provides for more skirmishers. My hope with skirmishers was to degrade/disorder as many impact foot units as possible before melee contact but it didn't work out that way. I think FOG2 tends towards the core of one army prevailing over the other by both tactical skill and reasonably good fortune. A cavalry army would have fought differently against Romans but it would still boil down to a cavalry core versus an infantry one.

Badger’s plan was close to working, until I got my general led Cataphracts behind his line. My opinion is that when I started moving that unit towards the main fight, he should have followed with his general led xmen, instead of having them help the remote Cav fight. What do you think @Badger73?

Hindsight is always clearer than foresight. I did not pay proper attention to that cataphract unit until it was too late. Same thing with the light cavalry of yours that disordered my heavy artillery. It doesn't take too many mistakes to lose a battle against experienced players even though some armies are more forgiving of that than others.