Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[TV-Netflix] The Ripper (Not Jack)

Hmm. Watched the first episode.
It is compelling. Not as grim as I imagined, but the body count is rising.
The reporting of the murders is dry and rather run of the mill. The old film and current drone footage of the areas involved helps
move the story right along. Does a good job of putting you into the time and place.
Likely I will stick with it. I reeealy want to know who the bloke was and how they got him.
In that regard I guess one must call it successful story telling.

Missus and I sat and watched the first two episodes... interesting and a nice format... policing in that era is so different to policing now. All sitting round smoking cigarettes and the interviews to the press are so unsanitized as to be laughed at by todays standards.

I am well read on the topic and am aware how it turns out but it is still well worth watching. Northern and gritty. Britain in the 70's looked a bloody awful place to live.

Will conclude it tomorrow with another 2 hour sitting once junior is of to bed.

Disappointed, and a little angry because I like (usually) crime dramas. First, I find the original Jack the Ripper story fascinating. Thus, I was easily attracted to this offering.
The first episode was fine, setting the time and killings in a compelling way. Then, episode two. More of the same. Literally. The same. Rinse & repeat.
Body after body is routinely discovered, police are interviewed and say the same thing every time. They answer the same questions from the press they answered the last time.
My interest begins to seriously lag. The only thing left for the show is to reveal who did it, and try to discover why. But no. More bodies, more inane dialog and more wandering filler.
Then the worst offender. The 3rd episode. Even the director, I suspect, realizes he's run out of story and makes the show take a sharp left turn with interviews of women defending feminism and decrying all men are bad.
That by asking women at the time to not travel at night alone is making them a weaker, inferior gender and damn it! They just won't stand for that! Probably wouldn't have worn a mask either.
The whole train just falls right off the track into the ravine.
I'm half way through the last episode and momentarily my interest is revived as we finally learn who the killer was and how he was captured. And yet...the story continues, crawling ever soo slowly to its eventual conclusion.
I gave up. Went on line and did a little end game research.
The whole story could easily have been presented in less than an hour. Oh, wait! It was. About 48 minutes actually. Save yourself 3 hrs and watch this instead.
You're welcome.
---

Yeah I have to agree with mTk... it was a bit of a lame duck. This was a killer that had Yorkshire in his grip for years and terrified whole cities. I knew the outcome and story before hand and was expecting some kind of revelation or interview with him from the 90's but nah... nothing. In one instance we have his father saying Peter was a good boy I dont know what could make him hate women and then the next clip is the narrator saying that Peter witnessed his father regularly assaulting his mother.

4/10 from me.

Back