Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[TV Series] Our World War - a gripe

Josey Wales

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The BBC have released a 3 part drama-documentary about WWI called 'Our World War'. I was looking forward to watching this but couldn't even get past the first scene. There seems to be a recent pattern where historical dramas and drama-documentaries have a modern rock/indie/dance soundtrack overlayed on them a la 'Peaky Blinders'. For me this creates a real disconnect between the viewer and the story being told that utterly shatters immersion.

I don't want to watch Tommies from 100 years ago going 'over the top' to a tune that wouldn't seem out of place at an illegal Berliner rave. I suppose the producers are trying to engage a younger audience by doing this and in turn trying to connect modern youths with these youngsters who sacrificed themselves for us all that time ago, but those people who fought in WW1 were not exactly like us, they had different beliefs and values that were of their time. The culture now is not the culture then and I really wish producers would not do this to what otherwise would have been a great series.

Careful, you are starting to sound like your parents! :LOL:

It doesn't suit my tastes, either. Shaky go pro cameras, radial blur and fast edits literally make me nauseous.

I suppose the producers are trying to engage a younger audience by doing this and in turn trying to connect modern youths with these youngsters who sacrificed themselves for us all that time ago....

There is your answer!

<snipped>
I don't want to watch Tommies from 100 years ago going 'over the top' to a tune that wouldn't seem out of place at an illegal Berliner rave. I suppose the producers are trying to engage a younger audience by doing this and in turn trying to connect modern youths with these youngsters who sacrificed themselves for us all that time ago, but those people who fought in WW1 were not exactly like us, they had different beliefs and values that were of their time. The culture now is not the culture then and I really wish producers would not do this to what otherwise would have been a great series.
<snipped>

I think of this beginning with A Knight's Tale in 2001 but that movie-making musical disconnect could go even further back.

Even worse than blasting metal or electro jams over historic dramas is the habit of film composers to regurgitate whole melodies from the 19th century masters: See Kamen's work on Band of Brothers (2001.) He directly lifted Mahler added quartal harmony (now it sounds just like Aaron Copeland!)

That's some lazy #$@!, right there.

Don't get me started on John Williams after 1982 or so....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back