Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[TV] The Rookie

I'm just watching the most recent season now, #3, and liking it as much as ever.
To start with Nathan Fillian is a bit of a hoot to watch and I'm a big fan. He's got this "everyman" quality about him with a double dose of humility and humor. For you real fans you'll
remember him in the short lived series, but absolutely terrific "Firefly." He was Capt Malcom "Mal" Reynolds famous for his brown coat. He's done a ton of stuff since then (2002) and
you may have seen him in the fun series "Castle."
In this show he plays a middle-aged man who joins the PD as a rookie. Yes, that gives the writers a whole lot to work with. And they use it wisely. Like most of these scripted series time
has to be spent getting a bit 'soapy" so as to work through character development. Fortunately they manage it without crossing the line, and you know which one I mean. They don't
spend too much time on any particular non-cop personal perspectives, but enough so you can develop a cheering interest in your favorites.
The director, IMHO, does a fine job in providing the viewer a serious look at the inside workings of a big city PD, which I have found interesting as well as realistic. Nothing ground breaking
but you can tell real research was/is involved in the presentation.
I'm watching it on Amazon, but it can me easily found on other mediums as it is just a regular show on ABC.
So, if you find the trailer rouses your interest check it out and let me know what you think.
---

I've found The Rookie to be a wonderful breath of fresh air to the classic cop show formula. It's got all the right tech of the modern age, very few of the plots seem outside of reality, and the characters all come across as relatable. I was very impressed with how the show addressed modern issues in their third season. I'm a big fan of Nathan Fillian, but couldn't get along with his character in Castle, so this seems like the perfect fit for him. Good stuff

Reactions: mTk
My wife and I enjoy this show too. But you have to wonder how so many consequential police actions seem to just drop on Officer Nolan's head! Captain Andersen's death in itself would be traumatic enough for long service veterans, much less a rookie cop. A lot of PTSD gets glossed over.

Last week's episode had me in god damned tears, it really pulled on the heart strings. I really like how Nolan exhibits such brilliant compassion for others, and makes those connections with others. Damn fine show

Back