Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Twilight Struggle

JTimo

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
My son recently bought me the board game version of TS for Father’s Day. Being an old AH game addict, I found this to be way above anything I’ve seen in recent times. In fact it is so cool, i can’t believe I haven’t heard about it here at FGM at all. It is not new, so maybe it was discussed here some time ago and it’s time has past, but it just seems to be the type of game that would still be discussed. Does anybody here play it?

I’ve played it (Although not lately) and own the board game (although willing opponents scarce) ... played it a lot in digital form on my pc and ipad (mostly against AI) - it does have multiplayer ability too.

I think there’s an up to date Vassal module for it as well.

It’s an absolutely brilliantly designed game!

I think it’s still rated as one of the best board game designs ever!

Last edited:
My nephew introduced me to this game a year ago. It is absolutely brilliant! I've played it just a little bit. Your post reminds me to get back to it. It fully captures the strategic spirit of the Cold War.
There is computer version available as Twilight Struggle on Steam. The computer game can be had for a song and is a true solitaire version of the board game. There's a dedicated website worth looking at to understand the game better too. Check it out at --> Twilight Strategy

Yep, one of the most elegant designs ever. Want to play it more but never get around to it. Have both board game and PC version which is excellent.

I am familiar with it but never have played. A good buddy of mine, who actually introduced me to CM years and years ago, brought it to my attention. We kept meaning to get up a game but still haven't. We were going to play it on Vassal. It is definitely available there. I am pretty sure you can play it as a PBEM or basically live like the boardgame.

I'll have to say I'm surprised there hasn't been more chatter about Vassal on here. It's been a while since I've played a game on there but it's really a lot of fun. Just about any game you can think of can be found on there.

I would totally be up for playing TS with someone on there if anyone is interested. I know I printed up the game manual a few years back so I'll dig it out just in case.

I am familiar with it but never have played. A good buddy of mine, who actually introduced me to CM years and years ago, brought it to my attention. We kept meaning to get up a game but still haven't. We were going to play it on Vassal. It is definitely available there. I am pretty sure you can play it as a PBEM or basically live like the boardgame.

I'll have to say I'm surprised there hasn't been more chatter about Vassal on here. It's been a while since I've played a game on there but it's really a lot of fun. Just about any game you can think of can be found on there.

I would totally be up for playing TS with someone on there if anyone is interested. I know I printed up the game manual a few years back so I'll dig it out just in case.
I’m up for trying a PBEM Twilight Struggle match — would need to reinstall Newest version of Vassal again.

I think the PC version multiplayer in real-time.
Wouldn’t mind trying that as well - a bit harder to coordinate and arrange.

@Rico I am definitely down for giving it a go. Am out of town at moment. I'll have to get Vassal updated too.

Let's take a look at the PBEM but I'll have to say that just playing in real time would probably be faster and more fun if we can coordinate a time. We can always just play a bit here and there since you can save the game and resume later.

I've played a number of solo games, not very well, sad to say, but I they were very enjoyable. From what I can see there is no need for PBEM. As @Jolly Olly mentioned, it appears that you can take your turn, save and quit, and player two can launch and take his turn, and so on. I'd be interested, but not til after my son and I have played against each other with the board game he bought me.

@Rico I'd be interested to hear how your game goes with Jolly.

@Rico I am definitely down for giving it a go. Am out of town at moment. I'll have to get Vassal updated too.

Let's take a look at the PBEM but I'll have to say that just playing in real time would probably be faster and more fun if we can coordinate a time. We can always just play a bit here and there since you can save the game and resume later.

Yeah, just re-installed the TS game on my PC as well -- let me also check out how the multiplayer works...

Yeah, just re-installed the TS game on my PC as well -- let me also check out how the multiplayer works...

I've updated my Vassal engine and dowloaded the TS module. Now I just need to find some time in the next couple of days to brush up on the rules and gameplay. I could probably be ready to go as soon as mid week. No rush though. Let me know what works for you.

Looking forward to it! This should be fun.

I've updated my Vassal engine and dowloaded the TS module. Now I just need to find some time in the next couple of days to brush up on the rules and gameplay. I could probably be ready to go as soon as mid week. No rush though. Let me know what works for you.

Looking forward to it! This should be fun.

Are you maybe keen on getting the PC version of TS from Steam? ... we can try playing that multiplayer online.

Are you maybe keen on getting the PC version of TS from Steam? ... we can try playing that multiplayer online.

Ha ha! I suppose I can look into this. $10 won't break me I suppose. I just like Vassal...well..one because it is free...and two because of the vast number of games accessible on there.

Ha ha! I suppose I can look into this. $10 won't break me I suppose. I just like Vassal...well..one because it is free...and two because of the vast number of games accessible on there.

If you get it from Steam you can also play against the AI ... not a bad opponent ... also the PC version handles all the rules and bookkeeping for you. :)

Ok @Rico....I've purchased this on steam and set up a Playdek account for multiplayer.

Feel free to get us started if you want. I'll play either side.

Ok @Rico....I've purchased this on steam and set up a Playdek account for multiplayer.

Feel free to get us started if you want. I'll play either side.

Okay — I have started a game up and invited you to join.

It should be there if you log into online play.

Set the game time limit to 45 days, so I think we can exchange turns as we go along or play real-time if we are online at same time.

I’ve picked US player — let’s see how it goes.

Late here so will pick it up In morning again.

Game against @Jolly Olly ticking along nicely ... game now at 1st turn of Mid-War period ... and me as USA have healthy 15 point lead (you reach 20 it's automatic victory) ... normally USSR dominates early game.
I have played the game quite a bit more .... (although not terribly good at it) ... a bit of familiarity with what the cards do is essential.
Runs remarkably smoothly as online multiplayer ... pause game anytime and play either real time when opponent is online at same time... or sort of PBEM with email alerts of opponents turn.

(I have edited off my hand of cards in screenshots below ;)

TwilightStruggle 2019-09-05 07-43-38-686.jpg

TwilightStruggle 2019-09-05 07-45-56-737.jpg

Game against @Jolly Olly ticking along nicely ... game now at 1st turn of Mid-War period ... and me as USA have healthy 15 point lead (you reach 20 it's automatic victory) ... normally USSR dominates early game.
I have played the game quite a bit more .... (although not terribly good at it) ... a bit of familiarity with what the cards do is essential.
Runs remarkably smoothly as online multiplayer ... pause game anytime and play either real time when opponent is online at same time... or sort of PBEM with email alerts of opponents turn.

(I have edited off my hand of cards in screenshots below ;)

View attachment 17272

View attachment 17273
In sort....Rico is clobbering me! :D

Really, everything he says about the game is right. Very easy to play multiplayer through Steam. Game is a lot of fun and I am enjoying it despite the dire position I am currently in. I definitely have a lot to learn about the game. Rico is absolutely right in understanding and knowing the cards and how best to strategically play them (and anticipate your opponent's play).

It's not over yet for me though!!!! Watch out @Rico !!!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Back