Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Under the Guns.

C

ChuckDyke

LOF and LOS are not always understood. Here is a good example of the movie 'The Lighthorsemen'. They charged a town in Palestine named Beersheba. Their horses (Walers) were the secret weapon could go for more days without water. The horses smelled the water, and the troopers liked the name of the town Beer and whatever. The Lighthorse nowadays operate APC's.

What is that on the officer's left wrist at 1:30 in the film? Is that some modern artifact that the set or prop director failed to notice?

I'm surprised that the enemy(Turkish?) field guns could not be depressed to direct fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: mTk
What is that on the officer's left wrist at 1:30 in the film? Is that some modern artifact that the set or prop director failed to notice?

I'm surprised that the enemy(Turkish?) field guns could not be depressed to direct fire.
Could be a trench watch with weather protection. Quote: The success of the charge was in the shock value and sheer speed in which they took the town before it could be destroyed by a retreating Turkish force. There were German officers in charge according to the movie, which could be a problem with their Command and Control. Thanks for your attention to detail.

Could be a trench watch with weather protection.
e.g.

shrapnelguards.jpg

db7f15cd40805ce45dcb258e96228c12.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Wow, look at that. Amazing. Thanks for posting that. I remember a news article one time about a movie about ancient Rome in which one of the actors, playing a soldier, forgot to remove his watch and it made it into the movie.

Wow, look at that. Amazing. Thanks for posting that. I remember a news article one time about a movie about ancient Rome in which one of the actors, playing a soldier, forgot to remove his watch and it made it into the movie.
There's an urban legend about a Roman era movie I can't recall where some telephone poles appear in one shot of the climactic battle scene. Not to mention all the Italian made "Spear & Sandals" films churned out in the '60's showing the smallpox vaccination scars on everyone's bare shoulder . . . ;)

Not to mention all the Italian made "Spear & Sandals" films churned out in the '60's showing the smallpox vaccination scars on everyone's bare shoulder . . . ;)

I've not heard of that. That's really a funny one.

I was watching (no pun intended) The Antiques Road Show tonight and a fellow in NYC had bought a watch in London some years ago for 5,000 pounds. It had a very fancy face that had been reworked and refinished. The expert said it had originally been an officer's trench watch from the First WW and the original face had radium numbers. I forget what the estimated value was but it was more than the 5k he had paid.

Last edited:
Back