Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

USS Bonhomme Richard to be scrapped

• Thread starter Sierra the Butterbars
  • Start date
S

Sierra the Butterbars

Knowing the current state she's in the USN probably is better off scrapping her rather than trying to repair the extensive damage she took in the arson. Still, bitter news.

I thought at first you were referring to John Paul Jones' ship.
Which had me scratching my head a bit.... :unsure:

USS Bonhomme Richard was originally named the Duc de Duras, renamed after the ship was granted to John Paul Jones by the French during the American Revolution. The Duc de Duras was built around 1761 and measured 998 tons; it was bought by the French in 1769 and used primarily as an armed transport ship until given to John Paul Jones in 1779. Jones renamed the ship Bonhomme Richard (Good Man Richard) to honor Benjamin Franklin, as that was his French nickname. Duc de Duras was not in prime condition and Jones cut twelve ports on the gun-deck where he mounted six 18-pound guns. Bonhomme Richard carried a total of 42 guns. Bonhomme Richard is best known for its battle with HMS Serapis. Serapis was a British naval ship with 44 guns built in 1779 and commanded by Richard Pearson. Serapis was sent to protect merchant ships against piracy and on its first voyage was confronted by Bonhomme Richard. The battle took place on September 23, 1779 in the North Sea off Flamborough Head, England, and lasted over 3 hours. Though Serapis was better equipped, faster and more maneuverable, Richard Pearson surrendered Serapis to John Paul Jones. While Jones was able to win the battle, the Bonhomme Richard sank two days later, having sustained heavy damage during the battle.

Back